LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Please describe how your LS430 feels from a stop to 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 06:34 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Please describe how your LS430 feels from a stop to 60 mph

Sooooo my LS is new to me....LS430.......2004......135k miles I have been enjoying the buttery smooth transmission as well as the acceleration once I lay into her.........not sure if I have had the tranny TSB done or not.......I tend to prefer how she acts in sport mode...............soooooooo from a stop light my car feels very heavy and I really have to get into the pedal if I want her to move.....otherwise she will just quietly glide her way up to cruising speed.........Is this a good description of how the LS drives?..........When driving other vehicles they all seem to have that hot jumpy gear to get ya going.............of course this is why my 430 feels so buttery ....because she isnt jerkin through RPMs and gears to get to speed...............please let me know if this is the norm....thanks
Old 01-05-15, 07:31 PM
amruss24
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I imagine you haven't had the transmission TSB done. After I had mine done, I noticed a drastic difference in throttle response, especially with the ECT in Sport.

One thing you might try would be to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it. This'll reset the ECU and force it to learn your driving style. If you hoof it around for a while, it'll learn that you have a bit of a lead foot and be more responsive.
Old 01-05-15, 07:52 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The LS is definitely not a stop light racer. It will go from a stop but you need to put your foot in it big time.
Old 01-05-15, 08:17 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys know how much it costs for the TSB upgrade? OR even to check if it has previously been done or not?
Old 01-06-15, 08:10 AM
amruss24
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The upgrade supposedly costs $300, but my dealer did it for me gratis while I had it in for some other stuff.
Old 01-06-15, 06:24 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

0-60 Smooth power, nice roar, seamless tranny shifting now over or understeer whatsoever. Totally happy with 5.9 in the 60 though I lately try to abide by the law.
Old 01-07-15, 06:23 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

If you have not already, clean your MAF and throttle body. This will help performance and mileage. Just not at the same time.

Also, if your spark plugs have not been done you need to do them.
Old 01-07-15, 06:24 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is no slouch off the line. Very light throttle (15% or less), it effortlessly gathers speed silently.

40% throttle, it will leave the line with gusto, shift through all gears between 3200-4000 rpm, quickly and efficiently.

100% throttle, it'll set you back in your seat, and snap off shifts quite quickly.

At no point, under any condition, do I feel like the LS is slow to move off the stop, regardless of throttle position.

It's always smooth, controlled, and responsive.
Old 01-07-15, 07:24 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ncsucarjoc
Mine is no slouch off the line. Very light throttle (15% or less), it effortlessly gathers speed silently.

40% throttle, it will leave the line with gusto, shift through all gears between 3200-4000 rpm, quickly and efficiently.

100% throttle, it'll set you back in your seat, and snap off shifts quite quickly.

At no point, under any condition, do I feel like the LS is slow to move off the stop, regardless of throttle position.

It's always smooth, controlled, and responsive.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. Not a pooch at all, but encourages you to drive respectably LOL ......stark contrast to a couple of my other cars which encourage total hooliganism (and tickets). Today I needed to really punch it from about a 45 MPH roll, to get quickly away from/around some idiots, and man it surprised me. It flat took off
Old 01-08-15, 07:58 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My 06 is smooth as silk and races to the redline. It really hauls if I push the power switch...
Old 01-08-15, 08:45 AM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

I should state that I drive in power mode all the time. I didn't like the lack of response in normal mode. I probably drive a bit more assertively than most LS drivers.
Old 01-08-15, 10:06 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely feels heavy from a stop but once it gets going its buttery smooth to whenever you let go of the gas

but then again this car wasnt made to be a stop light racer
Old 01-08-15, 10:12 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
definitely feels heavy from a stop but once it gets going its buttery smooth to whenever you let go of the gas

but then again this car wasnt made to be a stop light racer
No it isn't, but if you happen upon a typical domestic "stop light racer" going 50 - 70 mph, the LS will blow their doors off at the upper limits ...
Old 01-08-15, 07:23 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the replies.........seems like apples and apples to me.....we all just have different ways of describing it. Whats bugging me is not being sure if the TSB was performed.....I went through the maint recs and u can see notes where customer complained of engine revving to 3k while turning etc.....says tech drove car w customer blah blah.....but my records never specifically indicate the tsb was performed. My car does not rev going around slow turns......I would prefer her to be a little hotter from a stop......so I do drive in sport mode.....but dont get me wrong....Im only 49....but I am a cruiser.....I love that cruiser tranny......man is it SMOOOOOOTH!!!! She just feels heavy from a stop to me.....maybe I should slide my seat forward a notch So I can get more foot on the pedal. As someone else mentioned......I like to goose her and blow some carbon out while she is rolling at about 50mph....I love the sound and feel of acceleration....I soon get paranoid that Johnny Law will get me for that one blast of excitement ( my luck ) so I pull the reigns back....whoa girl......easy big girl..........then get back to crusin......
Old 01-08-15, 08:14 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

Mine is fast if given full throttle. I mean, they go 0-60 in 5.9s, that pretty darn quick and will get you into traffic or beat the racer next to you. Shifts are smooth. No complaints at all. The wife drives it mostly, but she enjoys the power. Quite a difference from the civic we had.

Quick Reply: Please describe how your LS430 feels from a stop to 60 mph