LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New member, new car

Old 01-03-15, 04:48 AM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, new car

Hello folks,

I'm new to this site, and a new member of the Lexus family. I have always loved the LS models, and finally took the plunge.

This will replace a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel as a daily driver. I think it'll be a slight adjustment.

I picked up an '04 LS430 UL with 113k on the clock. Two owners, all records from Lexus. Had friends of mine do a PPI, and it's headed home today. It needs a couple very minor things.

Pics are here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321617874563

I'm looking forward to getting her home, and really getting to know her. As my daily driver, I will rack up the miles fairly quickly.
Old 01-03-15, 04:51 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forums, home of the LS430.

Congrats on your ride! You'll definitely be asking yourself, why haven't I done this switch such a looong time ago?!
You can never go wrong with Metallic silver/Ultra Luxury combo.

Looking good, GL.
Old 01-03-15, 08:05 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club..
I was watching that LS on ebay while it was listed. It sat below 10K for a while, and I thought about bidding on it if I could get it for less than 10 grand... Not hardly...
I found mine locally last week and am enjoying it thoroughly.
Your's really was a great deal.

What did it need??

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 01-03-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-03-15, 10:23 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

That is one nice looking 430! Love that black interior. You will enjoy for many years to come!
Old 01-03-15, 11:30 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

well bought!
Old 01-03-15, 12:54 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

So far... not much. (and it literally has been in the drive about 10 minutes). I had friends drive it from Fort Lauderdale up to me today.

Three things I was alerted to before paperwork was signed: The cupholder doesn't latch. I'll have to see about fixing that.

The shiftlock override cover is missing. Need to procure one of those.

The RHS mirror needs to be taken apart and fixed.

Oh, and I only have one key. So I need to order another.

Otherwise, I intend on doing some basic maintenance (new filters, oil change, transmission change, diff change, new spark plugs). Just some basic things, and driving it.

So far, it's quite nice. I've put about 20 miles on it, and it's a *huge* departure from my big diesel. So going to take a lot of adjusting to. I'll enjoy it for sure. Going to take awhile to get used to sitting on the ground. So used to sitting way up.

I have *many* questions, and obviously need to spend some time with the owners manual. This thing is complex. She's beautiful. Obviously garage kept, and it has dark tint, so UV deterioration is minimal to non-existent.

Looking forward to getting to know her, and rack up a lot of miles.
Old 01-03-15, 06:30 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

Congrats on the purchase. I know the dealer said the TB was done, but I didn't see a sticker in the engine bay. Just double-check and make sure it's done. Or perhaps the sticker is lower.
Old 01-03-15, 07:06 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Dealer records indicate TB and WP were done at 93k. I'll give the engine an inspection tomorrow and see if I can find the sticker. But I'm apt to believe the dealer, as 95% of all work was completed there over the life of the vehicle.
Old 01-03-15, 08:35 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome. I also have an 04 UL. Best car I have ever owned. Check out the FAQ threads. Lots of good info.

I have a few personal recommendations if not performed already. Have your transmission and differential fluid exchanged. Your spark plugs are done at 125k but believe me, they are ready. Clean your throttle body, idle port, and maf sensor. Treat all the rubber seals of the vehicle with Shin etsu grease. Upgrade rear sway bar to the LS430 sports rear bar and bushings as well as replace the front sway bar bushing. Also, replace the engine temp sensor. Take a look at the large front lower control arm bushing and lower ball joints. These are usually pretty much ready at about 100k - 130k miles. All part of my tune up process that has my LS running really great.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-03-15 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 03:13 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you already know how to access the dealer service records, check to make sure that the transmission TSB for the '04 was done.
Old 01-05-15, 05:26 PM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Welcome. I also have an 04 UL. Best car I have ever owned. Check out the FAQ threads. Lots of good info.

I have a few personal recommendations if not performed already. Have your transmission and differential fluid exchanged. Your spark plugs are done at 125k but believe me, they are ready. Clean your throttle body, idle port, and maf sensor. Treat all the rubber seals of the vehicle with Shin etsu grease. Upgrade rear sway bar to the LS430 sports rear bar and bushings as well as replace the front sway bar bushing. Also, replace the engine temp sensor. Take a look at the large front lower control arm bushing and lower ball joints. These are usually pretty much ready at about 100k - 130k miles. All part of my tune up process that has my LS running really great.
Great to hear!!

Yeah, I've done a lot of reading already. All of this is on my list of things to do shortly. I tend to be meticulous about maintaining things, and a lot of the work I will do myself. So far I'm really enjoying the ride and drive. Put just over 300 miles on her already.
Old 01-05-15, 06:20 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome price. Starting to think I overpaid for my '05!!!
Old 01-06-15, 08:51 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Congrats!! I just got a UL recently and love it, its so nice to drive.
Old 01-07-15, 09:04 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful - I like your interior with the "burned" wood much more than mine which has the goofy plastic looking gray wood.
Old 01-08-15, 08:46 AM
ncsucarjoc
Driver School Candidate

That's actually one of my favorite details. I love the burned wood. Something about it is so... different, unique and classy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member, new car