LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sway Bar Bushings?? I've searched and searched

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 02:00 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Sway Bar Bushings?? I've searched and searched

I took the LS to the Lexus dealership yesterday morning for an oil change and to have them give the car a once over, just to get their opinion on it.
I was told it's clean, no odd damage, and the only thing needing attention are the brakes, which I knew needed some work (I just bought 4 drilled rotors from R1Concepts and got the Ceramic pads as well)

The other item the Service Writer mentioned, was slight play in the "Swaybar bushings". I've looked through countless threads on rear sway bars, and Stabilizer links, but found nothing on replacing the bushings for the front stabilizer bar, or Sway Bar...

I did find the bushings on line, however...
Has anyone accomplished this task? I figured I'd do the links and bushings when I have the tires off to do the brakes.
Any help is much appreciated
Old 12-27-14, 02:05 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I would get a second opinion. Sounds like they may be just trying to generate more work. Sway bar bushing and links are not a common failure. To my knowledge, sway bar links will make popping sounds when going around a corner or when the car is leaning to one side or the other.
Old 12-27-14, 02:51 PM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
To my knowledge, sway bar links will make popping sounds when going around a corner or when the car is leaning to one side or the other.
And I don't hear any of that. He said the bushings weren't bad, but that I should consider replacing them at some point.
When I told him I planned on doing my own brakes, he didn't seem to flinch, he simply said, that if you can handle the brakes on this car, then you can change out those bushings.
So, we'll see what it's like when I get it off the ground and pull the wheels.

Thanks for the info Lavrish...
Old 12-27-14, 03:27 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Here are some useful information on the front and rear brakes, just in case :-)

Please note that the caliper mounting bolts are considered "non-reusable" and should be replaced.

The following users liked this post:
Fsport4lif (07-12-24)
Old 12-27-14, 03:37 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Get yourself a torque wrench if you don't have one. I went to Sears last night and got one to do by lower ball joint's right. It's really what makes for a proper service. Today was the first time I properly torqued all 4 wheels too. Don't know why I did not have one. At $40 it is well worth it for a 1/2 inch 150 lb Craftsman.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-27-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-27-14, 04:05 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Get yourself a torque wrench if you don't have one.
I couldn't agree more...

The LS430 has lots of aluminum parts - if you under-torque your bolts/nuts, they will eventually back themselves out; if you over-torque you'll risk stripping the threads.
Old 12-27-14, 04:22 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I took the LS to the Lexus dealership yesterday morning for an oil change and to have them give the car a once over, just to get their opinion on it.
I was told it's clean, no odd damage, and the only thing needing attention are the brakes, which I knew needed some work (I just bought 4 drilled rotors from R1Concepts and got the Ceramic pads as well)

The other item the Service Writer mentioned, was slight play in the "Swaybar bushings". I've looked through countless threads on rear sway bars, and Stabilizer links, but found nothing on replacing the bushings for the front stabilizer bar, or Sway Bar...

I did find the bushings on line, however...
Has anyone accomplished this task? I figured I'd do the links and bushings when I have the tires off to do the brakes.
Any help is much appreciated
Front sway bar bushings aren't common, maybe the last item on a complete must have "wish list" for front-end suspension maintenance. I have the original bushings in my '01 (250k+ on the clock) in similar climate as you. I'd expect the dealer to say you need the lower control arm bushings, not the sway bar bushings. Is it possible he misspoke?

On your brake job, when you replace the caliper bolts with new, do NOT be tempted to put any lubricant on the long bolt threads. Not only will your torque reading be incorrect, you may strip the aluminum threads of the caliper.
Old 12-28-14, 06:48 AM
2KHarrier

@Lavirsh:
I have a torque wrench, and yes it comes in handy. Thanks for the reminder. I had no idea there were as many Aluminum parts on this thing as there are.

@RKW: Thanks for the diagram on the brake set up. Fantastic info there. I'll have to hit up Sewell for those bolts today. I'm planning on swapping the rotors/pads next Thursday..

@Tom57: Thanks for the info on those bushings. Right now, I don't feel any loosness in the car, but I havn't driven it much at all, and the only thing I have to compare it to is my RX, which I replaced the struts and stabilizer links during the summer. Much stiffer ride, obviously..

I'm assuming the rotors are held in place with a couple set screws? Or is there something more that holds them on the hub?
Old 12-28-14, 07:15 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I'm assuming the rotors are held in place with a couple set screws? Or is there something more that holds them on the hub?
I don't recall seeing set screws - the rotor is basically sandwiched between the hub and wheel and held together with the lug nuts. Don't forget to follow manufacturer's "bedding-in" procedures for the new rotors.
Old 12-28-14, 08:34 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by rkw77080
I don't recall seeing set screws - the rotor is basically sandwiched between the hub and wheel and held together with the lug nuts. Don't forget to follow manufacturer's "bedding-in" procedures for the new rotors.
Got it... Living in the city, it can be a little difficult to find an open stretch of road to warm up the pads without stopping, but I'll try...
Old 12-28-14, 08:47 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Found out the diameter of your sway bar. If they are the same as my Fsport bar you can have my new never mounted oem bushings for free. I ordered new poly bushings from www.shopfigs.com along with some other items. Just pm me if they are the same diameter 19 mm.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?route=product/category&path=44
Old 12-28-14, 09:08 AM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the sway bar bushings is one of the easier DIY projects I've done. I ordered the bushings from Sewell Lexus for about $20. Raise the front end and find the sway bar. Locate the two bushings mounted on right and left sides of the bar. Remove the brackets holding the bushings (two bolts) and remove the bushing(s). Liberally apply silicone grease to the new bushings and install in reverse order. I was having an annoying creaking, pop sound when braking that went away when the bushings were replaced. The is a 20-30 minute task.
The following users liked this post:
eclipse641 (10-13-20)
Old 12-28-14, 09:56 AM
2KHarrier

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Found out the diameter of your sway bar. If they are the same as my Fsport bar you can have my new never mounted oem bushings for free. I ordered new poly bushings from www.shopfigs.com along with some other items. Just pm me if they are the same diameter 19 mm.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...tegory&path=44
Mike; You are very kind. I'll look at it later when I'm home and throw my dial caliper on it to make sure of the diameter.
Much appreciated.
Old 12-28-14, 09:59 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by ceedub53
Replacing the sway bar bushings is one of the easier DIY projects I've done. I ordered the bushings from Sewell Lexus for about $20. Raise the front end and find the sway bar. Locate the two bushings mounted on right and left sides of the bar. Remove the brackets holding the bushings (two bolts) and remove the bushing(s). Liberally apply silicone grease to the new bushings and install in reverse order. I was having an annoying creaking, pop sound when braking that went away when the bushings were replaced. The is a 20-30 minute task.
Ceed; Thanks very much. Looking at it initially, it didn't appear to be a big job, so thanks for the break down.
I've gotten lots of pros and cons on doing the bushings, and for the cost (thank you MikeFoxx), and time factor, I may just go ahead and do them when I do the brakes.
Old 12-28-14, 10:02 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I believe the F-Sport rear sway bar is 1 mm thicker than the non-sport sway bar, so the bushing sizes are also 1 mm different.

Last edited by Tom57; 12-29-14 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Bushings?? I've searched and searched