LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sway Bar Bushings?? I've searched and searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 03:13 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bfg23
I have the Ultra Racing sway bars front and rear. And while the front was a small upgrade, the rear was definately noticeable straight away. Stays very grounded and tight through corners.

The rear UR sway bar was much much thicker than the stock one too. Much more of a difference between the front stock and front UR bar which were very similar in size.
Have you experienced any squeaking or noise with these bars and the poly bushings that come with them?
Old 01-23-15, 11:51 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Have you experienced any squeaking or noise with these bars and the poly bushings that come with them?
I'm ordering the "sport" rear sway bar from sewell now. I was wondering the same thing. However, I read on here somewhere that you should grease the bushings before installing. Can someone provide any details on this part of the install?

I'm looking forward to getting rid of some roll while cornering.. such a boat...

Thanks for any input..
Old 01-24-15, 02:27 AM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not experienced any squeeking. The bushings that come with the ultra racing bars already have some type of grease on them, so I didnt feel the need to add any extra.
Old 01-24-15, 07:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Did you order the bushings as well as the bar? No need to grease them.
Old 01-24-15, 08:57 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
I'm ordering the "sport" rear sway bar from sewell now. I was wondering the same thing. However, I read on here somewhere that you should grease the bushings before installing. Can someone provide any details on this part of the install?

I'm looking forward to getting rid of some roll while cornering.. such a boat...

Thanks for any input..
The OEM sport sway bar is 1 mm thicker than the stock (OEM) sway bar, so you will need the OEM sport bushings (which are a rubber composition) as well. If you are using non-OEM poly bushings with the sport sway bar, the ride characteristics will certainly be stiffer than OEM sport sway bar with OEM rubber bushings. If you use the OEM rubber bushings, no lubricant is needed on the bushings.
Old 01-24-15, 03:25 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Did you order the bushings as well as the bar? No need to grease them.
The UR bars come with bushings... The rear came with new thicker bushing brackets as well.
Old 01-24-15, 03:32 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

OEM only comes with bushings if it is packaged that way. I think Sewell sells them as a package. You can order them separately.
Old 01-24-15, 09:05 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
OEM only comes with bushings if it is packaged that way. I think Sewell sells them as a package. You can order them separately.
This is the kit on the Sewell Lexus part site:
4881250130KIT

Is there a better bar and/or bushings I should use? OR, lemme know if you know of some poly bushings that would work well with the rear sport bar. thanks!

Last edited by KawiLex; 01-24-15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 04:19 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

When it comes to minor items like sway bar bushings, can products from say NAPA be used instead of OEM or would you guys stick to OEM for a particular reason? As long as the are rubber or made from the same material as OEM do you think it makes no difference?
Old 09-17-15, 08:28 AM
forthewin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I replaced my standard rear bar with Ultra Racing and noticed a good change.

I would like to change my standard front bar bushings with polyurethane ones.
Question: what size do I need?

Thank you
Old 09-17-15, 08:37 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
When it comes to minor items like sway bar bushings, can products from say NAPA be used instead of OEM or would you guys stick to OEM for a particular reason? As long as the are rubber or made from the same material as OEM do you think it makes no difference?
I replace with OEM. The OEM bushings are like $20/pair. I don't want to stiffen the stock suspension. Bushings do perform a function for both roll/sway as well as shock absorption. If you're looking to stiffen the suspension, suggest the sport rear sway bar. It's 1 mm thicker than stock and makes a noticeable improvement in roll/sway in corners and at highway speeds.
The following users liked this post:
StanVanDam (05-08-18)
Old 09-17-15, 08:41 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

do you need special lubrication for the bushings installation on the sway bars?
Old 09-17-15, 09:08 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

No special lube for the bushings.
Old 11-11-16, 04:49 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bookmarking this thread. RKW thanks for the detailed diagrams as usual.
Old 01-06-17, 10:40 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
My 04 Sports has 100k and there's no obvious play or looseness (at any speed). Doing front and rear bars is easy and sounds like an excellent upgrade. Still want Lex comfort so can experiment w/ PU vs rubber. Comments? The stock sport suspension is better but it's still pretty low key. Any other easy to replace bushings (or parts) that can be upgraded? LCA's just done so not into redoing.

While I'm at it, am sure painting the brake calipers will "substantially" improve handling also. Lavrish, recommend red, gold or other?

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Bushings?? I've searched and searched