Another timing belt change question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-14, 08:11 AM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another timing belt change question

Hi all,

On Friday I will take my 06 LS 430 to the dealership for 90k service. I got two quote from both Toyota and Lexus dealership.

For Toyota: 1180+tax, includes: timing belt, water pump, coolant, alignment, drive belt.

For Lexus: 1244, and that includes timing belt and routine service (those inspect xxx, inspect xxx), if I want to add water pump and coolant/drive belt I think they would charge me another 500.

So what's your opinion? The Toyota shop says that would use genuine Lexus part. They said that because none of the Toyota model shares the same engine with the 4.3 LS, they would have to use Lexus part.

The Toyota dealership seems to offer a much better deal. However, I was concerned about their ability to perform such a complicated and a Lexus-specific maintanence job.

The Toyota and Lexus dealership are both owned by the same company. The service manager told me that he would get part from the Lexus dealer. This is in Columbus Ohio. both dealership are owned by Germain group, which is the largest dealership group in Ohio area.

Any thought?

Thank you and have a great holiday!!!
Old 12-24-14, 08:29 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

many people have used Toyota dealers to do their TB/WP service to save a couple hundred dollars. But yours seem kinda high from what other users have posted, but I guess thats all due to the area. I wouldn't be worried leaving your Lexus with the Toyota techs, its the same company lol.
Old 12-24-14, 08:38 AM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
many people have used Toyota dealers to do their TB/WP service to save a couple hundred dollars. But yours seem kinda high from what other users have posted, but I guess thats all due to the area. I wouldn't be worried leaving your Lexus with the Toyota techs, its the same company lol.
Thanks for the note. What price do you think is reasonable for the Toyota dealership?
Old 12-24-14, 08:59 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you not have a good indy shop that specializes in Lexus?
Old 12-24-14, 10:00 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

i've seen some people on the forum posting up that a local Toyota dealer completed their service at $7xx, $8xx etc.
Old 12-24-14, 10:02 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

when ever i have the toyota dealership work on my car i buy the parts from either the parts department which i have a wholesale account or i order on the internet and have them change the parts at only labor fees that will save you overhead on the parts.get a price for labor only for the tb and water pump and what ever else you want done,then look on line and price out parts and you will save a good bit of cash.
Old 12-24-14, 10:19 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just thinking out loud, it’s not a difficult job, if I can do it in my garage, I would think any ASE mechanic would have no issues is successfully completing this job with quality in mind.

I would search for an independent shop and get a quote. I would also get a quote if you bring your own parts. You can buy the Asian timing belt kit (TKT021) on Rock Auto for $168 + shipping, including water pump. This is the OEM kit as you will find others stating in this forum.

I just think that $1200 is a ridiculous amount to pay for as simple as the job is. I'm betting that the dealer can get the job done in 2 to 3 hours knowing everything that they know, which is less than me and it took me, 5 hours with a problem or 2 that I now know how to deal with.

I replaced all timing belt rotating parts with tensioner and water pump. Also replace the serpentine belt system and idlers (Rock Auto, $90) with large idler ($330 from Lexus part # 16630-50011). Also replaced the radiator, ($100 Rock Auto) with hoses, thermostat and cap. All parts were bought from Rock Auto less large idler from above (didn’t know it was not part of the Rock Auto kit) for $700ish or less including large idler from Lexus.

2001 LS Base 190K

If you live close to Colorado, I will help you do it.

Last edited by zapola6; 12-24-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 10:31 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jj, I would not hesitate to go with a Toyota dealer if they are willing to do it. Now that you have a quote from Germain, you could take it to another Toyota dealer and beat them up on price. It is not enough to just ask for a price, you to ask for a "deal"...a better deal. They are all hungry with plenty of margin built in. I would not be surprised if you could get several hundred off.

Why not consider asking Toyota Direct or Tansky Toyota what they would charge?

You mention "alignment" in your first post...alignment of what? The front-end?
Old 12-24-14, 03:04 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

Maybe I am missing something, but why would you let a Toyota dealership do this work on an engine, the 3UZ, that Toyota doesn't have a car for? Sure, they have the 2UZ, but it's not the same. The 3UZ is a complex and well-engineered engine. I would look for a lexus indy shop.
Old 12-24-14, 10:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

who made the 3uz motor? Toyota...so why would you deem Toyota techs to be not as incompetent to work on a Lexus?
Old 12-24-14, 10:36 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

I think that is apples and oranges. Toyota engineers designed/made the 3UZ; the ASE techs at your local dealer didn't nor do they work on 3UZs (regularly), whereas Lexus techs do. If there was an engine that was/is shared across a Lexus and Toyota vehicle, then it would make sense to me. Sure, the Toyota tech could probably figure it out, but why be a guinea pig?

You could switch it around to- why take a Tacoma to a Lexus dealer? Lexus doesn't offer that engine in a vehicle. The Lexus techs (they too could probably figure it out) are not familiar with the Tacoma engine like a Toyota tech is. The caveat would be if there were a tech at Toyota who has done numerous TBs on a 3UZ. This would be akin to a lexus/toyota indy shop.

Vehicles are becoming more and more complicated, so specialization is becoming more necessary, even amongst Toyota/Lexus. At least that is how I see it.

In the end, each person will make a decision based on what they are comfortable with as well as budget , and maybe some additional factors. I just won't be calling Toyota
Old 12-25-14, 05:20 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

sheesh....a timing belt isn't brain surgery. Any competent tech can do it. literally. Personally I"m happy to pay a premium for service when justified or needed but in this case I can't see any real reason why you'd pay extra for Lexus tech. Donuts.....fancy loaner car...nicer waiting room?
Old 12-25-14, 05:28 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the other point i forgot to make....these aren't complex high strung edgy engines. Toyota engineered them as world class reliable engines, designed to support their highest quality autos and deployed all over the world, in driving conditions ranging from perfect to pure abuse. AND with maintenance conditions and skills ranging from high to a shade tree mechanic in bush Africa. So the idea that you need special skills to work on them just isn't supported by reality.
Old 12-25-14, 06:59 AM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your input. It seems that most people suggests that I go with the Toyota dealer, while trying to negotiate a better price. I'll call them after Christmas and see where it goes.

Arcteryx, I think you bring up a good point. I was concerned too before I posted this thread. I think what Ill do is to meet the tech before I give my car to him, making sure that he knows how to deal with it. I am still considering the Lexus dealership. However, with 600 more for the same job, I really hesitate to bring my car to them.
Old 12-25-14, 07:00 AM
beneteau
Driver

Had my 90,000 mile service this past March. Lexus dealer (parts & labor) quoted $1,300 +.

I decided to purchase the parts myself (all OEM) mostly on-line.

Aisin Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump TKT-021, includes matched idler and tensioner bearings, gaskets and o-rings.

2-gallons Toyota Super Long Life coolant.

Toyota thermostat, gasket, o-ring and drive (serpentine belt).

Total parts; $ 309.63

Local NAPA Auto service shop supplied the labor: $ 354.59

Total cost: $ 664.22

Quick Reply: Another timing belt change question