LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New addition to the family

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 07:32 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts
Default New addition to the family

Good morning fellow LS owners. Been an RX owner for almost 2 years, and I just got home from swinging a deal on a 2001 LS. 102K on the clock, pretty good (not complete) maintenance history.

I'll be picking it up on Friday from the owner. I paid 7300 for it. He recently (September, I think he said) put the wheels on it with new Yokohama 17's. He's giving me the original wheels with winter Blizzaks on them.

I have a lot to learn about this beast.....
Attached Thumbnails New addition to the family-ls430.jpg  
Old 12-23-14, 07:59 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Great price. Looks very clean. Prepare a list of "to do's" starting with timing belt and water pump if it hasn't already been done.
Old 12-23-14, 08:49 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Congrats!

Steve
Old 12-23-14, 04:12 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

for that price i would get another for a backup.great buy.
Old 12-23-14, 06:52 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am in Appleton, Wi. The 01's had many problems, call me to take it off yur hands for 7400$.
Old 12-23-14, 06:58 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

01 Camry's are about the same price with those miles. Camry's have Less rust issues, get better gas mileage, and are lighter for more nimble handling. Front wheel drive is better in the snows of Wisconsin. It is a s smaller cabin in the Camry in the cold winters and snow, so it heats faster in cold temps.You seen the cost of premium lately, PM me to take it off yur hands.
Old 12-24-14, 06:28 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by warminwisc
01 Camry's are about the same price with those miles. Camry's have Less rust issues, get better gas mileage, and are lighter for more nimble handling. Front wheel drive is better in the snows of Wisconsin. It is a s smaller cabin in the Camry in the cold winters and snow, so it heats faster in cold temps.You seen the cost of premium lately, PM me to take it off yur hands.
I sense sarcasm....

J/K...

So far I do like the car.

I've spent a little time playing with it, and there are a few things that it will need. The Sub in the rear deck sounds awful, so I ordered a replacement foam surround for the speaker. Should be an easy fix, as I've done those foam replacements before.. Hopefully that fixes the bass problems. The door speakers in front sound rough as well, so I may just replace those and be done with it.

I have to replace, or fix the tilt adjustment motor in the steering colum, as it don't tilt... I've read it could be as easy as the worm gear being split, or the motor just may be shot..

Drivers seat is a little flat for me, and again, apparently that too, is a fairly easy fix with a new seat pad.

The car needs a good cleaning, but over all it's in nice shape. I drove it home last night, and I was amazed at the fuel economy for such a HUGE car. I was averaging 28 mpg, driving @ 70ish...

Much better than the RX could ever hope to be....

More to come...

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 12-24-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 06:43 PM
2KHarrier

I spent a good amount of the day going through the car. I was able to get the tilt motor working. It seems that the motor was jammed in the lowest position, and wouldnt move. I pulled the cover off the steering column, disconnected the tilt motor and freed it up, and it was fine.
The sub in the rear shelf was a bit of a struggle to remove, but I did get it out and did a temp repair on the foam surround. I got the speaker re-installed and closed it up and it sounds 100% better.

I looked through all the paper work and found the original window sticker ($57,600) and the only option listed was the ML sound system.

Overall just a real nice car. I found a few marks in the leather on the rear seats, so I have to figure out what I can repair those with.

Here's a shot of both the LS and the RX in the garage tonight..
Attached Thumbnails New addition to the family-lexus-garage.jpg  
Old 12-24-14, 08:58 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I sense sarcasm....

J/K...

So far I do like the car.

I've spent a little time playing with it, and there are a few things that it will need. The Sub in the rear deck sounds awful, so I ordered a replacement foam surround for the speaker. Should be an easy fix, as I've done those foam replacements before.. Hopefully that fixes the bass problems. The door speakers in front sound rough as well, so I may just replace those and be done with it.

I have to replace, or fix the tilt adjustment motor in the steering colum, as it don't tilt... I've read it could be as easy as the worm gear being split, or the motor just may be shot..

Drivers seat is a little flat for me, and again, apparently that too, is a fairly easy fix with a new seat pad.

The car needs a good cleaning, but over all it's in nice shape. I drove it home last night, and I was amazed at the fuel economy for such a HUGE car. I was averaging 28 mpg, driving @ 70ish...

Much better than the RX could ever hope to be....

More to come...
I'm telling you. Regarding the tilt steering, keep hitting the button, it will move in very small increments, eventually it will work as normal again, once it gets past the rough spot.

Edit: ok I just saw where u took it apart and got it going. But for anyone else out there in need, try my trick. It works.
Old 01-23-16, 07:13 AM
2KHarrier

Just wanted to give a short update on the car after a year of ownership. The brakes are fantastic. The drilled rotors are holding up well and they are pretty quiet as well. I just hit 115K on the clock and I have had 0 problems with it.
I am noticing some wear in the front suspension, so this spring I'll be looking at either replacing the Stabilizer bushings and the LCA bushings, or perhaps installing new lower arms and do the ball joints at the same time.
I don't have any noises, just a very small amount of loose feel in the wheel.

I commute between O'Hare airport and Milwaukee now, and I'm averaging 26-27 MPG during the trip.

I've had no problems and the car is a blast to drive. It's really a great car. The only other thing I'd like to do is pull the rear bumper cover and have it repainted. There's a few dings on it and the top of the cover is starting to fade a little.

All in all a great car!
Old 01-23-16, 07:35 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I will be down in Brewtown tomorrow grab a pint?
Old 01-23-16, 09:03 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Just wanted to give a short update on the car after a year of ownership. I just hit 115K on the clock and I have had 0 problems with it. I commute between O'Hare airport and Milwaukee now, and I'm averaging 26-27 MPG during the trip.
You bought it with 102K on the clock and now 13 months later still only 115K on the clock - averaging 1K miles/month. At that rate, and with care & routine maintenance, you could still be driving that '01 in 2030, and beyond.
Old 01-23-16, 09:32 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Just wanted to give a short update on the car after a year of ownership. The brakes are fantastic. The drilled rotors are holding up well and they are pretty quiet as well. I just hit 115K on the clock and I have had 0 problems with it.
I am noticing some wear in the front suspension, so this spring I'll be looking at either replacing the Stabilizer bushings and the LCA bushings, or perhaps installing new lower arms and do the ball joints at the same time.
I don't have any noises, just a very small amount of loose feel in the wheel.

I commute between O'Hare airport and Milwaukee now, and I'm averaging 26-27 MPG during the trip.

I've had no problems and the car is a blast to drive. It's really a great car. The only other thing I'd like to do is pull the rear bumper cover and have it repainted. There's a few dings on it and the top of the cover is starting to fade a little.

All in all a great car!
I am also interested in pulling rear bumper. Let me know if you find DIY instructions. I found a PDF but not sure about sequence of steps. I need to replace driver side rear parking sensor.
Old 01-24-16, 06:45 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I will be down in Brewtown tomorrow grab a pint?
Sorry WIW, I'm heading out of town today. My wife and I are taking a trip over to the UAE and visiting Dubai for a week. After the weather gets nice, maybe we plan a meet like all the young kids do???

Originally Posted by Tom57
You bought it with 102K on the clock and now 13 months later still only 115K on the clock - averaging 1K miles/month. At that rate, and with care & routine maintenance, you could still be driving that '01 in 2030, and beyond.
Thanks Tom, I'd like to drive the wheels off this thing if I can. Yeah, for most of last year, I was only about 4 miles from work, and now I'm working at O'Hare, so I have a 70 mile commute I make.

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I am also interested in pulling rear bumper. Let me know if you find DIY instructions. I found a PDF but not sure about sequence of steps. I need to replace driver side rear parking sensor.
BM: My plan is to do it this spring, so I'll plan on a bunch of photos and post what I find.
Old 01-24-16, 09:20 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Yup yur only young once forever? I have a buddy who owns the Bosch and has a smoking hot outside smokehouse/barbie in Hales. Always looking for skibuddies up to Houghton! Travel safe

Quick Reply: New addition to the family