LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New member, pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 08:55 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default New member, pre-purchase questions

In the next couple of months I will probably picking up a friend of mine's 2004 LS 430. He is going to let me have it for the trade in the dealer is going to offer to him. I haven't gone through all of the details about the car other than I know he is the original owner and said it's had all of the maintenance done by a Lexus dealer. Right now I don't know all of what's been replaced though.

Here is the info I know about the car:
~110k miles
Has navigation.
Owner says there is a slight musty smell from the A/C when first started.

Is there anything I need to be on the look out for? Ex: spark plugs should have been changed @ 100k or the timing chain needs changing soon?

I'm curious if any '04 LS would have come with Bluetooth for hands free calling. I thought I saw where someone mentioned their '04 did but my friend said he didn't think his had Bluetooth.

Owner says the drivetrain has been perfect and should be fine for a while but I was curious about how long it should last. My plan is to drive the car for about 4 yrs until my son turns 17 or so and this might be his first car. I'm curious if the car should last that long (assuming about 12k miles a year).

Is there things like shocks or starters or struts or something similar that I should plan on replacing soon with the car having that many miles and being 10 yrs old?

Last edited by caverman; 12-22-14 at 05:37 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 12-21-14, 09:19 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First, congratulations on the car before hand. Hope you enjoy it.

You should know that 110k miles on an LS430, doesn't necessary mean that number on this specific car and most Lexus cars. Our cars were built to last and require less maintenance than you think.

Personally I would probably flip the whole car upside down doing new parts to it. But sticking to a budget, I will only look to the parts that need more attention, like the worn seat you mentioned.

Sewell parts is your friend. You will get a very very good discount if you register using your CL name here.

I suggest getting their 120k miles maintenance kit.

It costs you $125. Has the following components, and you will find a lot of the installation instructions here on the forum DIY.

General maintenance items are those day-to-day care practices that are important to your vehicle for proper operation and include the following items:
Oil Filter and Drain Plug Gasket
Air Filter
In-Cabin Microfilter
Brake Fluid
Spark Plugs

Welcome to the forum man.
Old 12-21-14, 10:28 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

trade in between 9,000- 11,000. examples both incorrect spark plugs @120,000 and timing belt at 90,000 but some go much longer only change due to total destruction possible. Texas is large musty smell would concern me in Houston or Corpus Christi..not so much in west transmission requires no maintenance if it has no dip stick. check this immediately. if timing belt done $10,000 would be good (great) deal.
Old 12-22-14, 05:59 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you in Texas? If your friend is ok with it, get a PPI, it's well worth the money and you know how well it has been maintained. If you are in Austin, Bearden Automotive is excellent and both he and their lead tech used to work at Lexus of Austin. They specialize in Toyota and Lexus. In fact, the current Lexus techs continue to call Bearden because he is so good.

Here is good read www.toyoland.com/lexus/ls430.html This will get you familiar with the vehicle.

Do the timing belt ASAP, it's 20k over already. Spark plugs will be needed too. For me, when I got mine, I expected to put about $1500 or so into the vehicle to bring it up to where I wanted it. If it has Nav, then you have bluetooth from what I have read.

I just bought the Strongarm struts and will install them today. Both the front and rears can be had for under $100. Not OEM, but this part really doesn't need to be.

As far as a seat, I would replace the seat bottom pad. I am going to do this too. If the leather is starting to deteriorate, it's more than likely caused from poor support, so budget that in.

HTH, it's a great vehicle.
Old 12-22-14, 06:41 AM
caverman
Instructor

Thanks for the help guys. Keep on with any other suggestions.

So, you're saying that the timing belt should have been replaced at the 90k mark? I'll have to check with him to see if it was replaced or not. I would assume that if he was taking it to the Lexus dealer they would have suggested to replace the belt around that time. I'll have to check on the spark plugs as well.

My buddy ordered a Tesla and it's supposed to be in sometime in February. So, I wanted to get all my info together so I know what I'm getting myself into when I get the car.

BTW: to answer the other questions, I am in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Last edited by caverman; 12-22-14 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 06:50 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Also, I forgot to say, you can go to https://secure.drivers.lexus.com, sign up and enter the VIN to get all records done at Lexus. This is a great resource for checking the history, but it isn't all-inclusive, esp if indy shops were used.

If the TB has been done, there should be a sticker on the front in the engine bay stating as such. Sounds like a great price too! But even if the TB wasn't I still think it would be a good price.

For the plugs, make sure you use only Denso Iridiums, others don't play nicely. These are a 100K plug.
Old 12-22-14, 05:03 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

My main concern would be the timing belt , if its not done it MUST be done soon, or your risking your entire engine.

I repair leather as a side hobby and there are many people that do it, they can fix the rip and redye that section (or the entire seat) and it will be as good as new .....relatively speaking lol

I wouldn't worry about small stuff u can fix them as u please, its probably the most reliable well built , long lasting vehicle ever made and at 10 K seems like a good price.
Old 01-14-15, 07:56 PM
caverman
Instructor

Score!

I finally got the VIN from my friend and was able to use the link posted above to look up the service records. Looks like the Timing Belt and Water Pump were replaced at 84k which was about 3.5 yrs ago. That's why he probably didn't remember about the large dealership bill.

The only negative news I received with the VIN number is that his new car has been delayed longer. I now have to wait another two months to get the car.
Old 01-15-15, 09:32 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Sounds like you've got a deal there... on the upside to the delay... the trade in value should be going down also
Old 01-15-15, 07:11 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My neighbors kid did the plugs labor 25 bucks, not a big job. It has bluetooth. unless it was a foreign model.
Old 01-15-15, 07:14 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

An 04 with 110 k miles trade in will go down slowly. Auction price is prolly what 8500 bucks on a good day.
Old 01-21-15, 05:07 PM
caverman
Instructor

Question???? I was looking around some on the forum and saw where the air suspension could be an issue if the car comes with it. I have the VIN number and put it into the Lexus site to get the service history however I didn't see anywhere on how I might be able to tell if it has the air suspension.

Anyone have a suggestion on how I can determine that?
Old 01-21-15, 07:11 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

there is a vin decode link as a sticky on top, it will let you know al options, and I would guess UL would be one
Old 01-22-15, 03:21 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you buying this car from a friend or an enemy? Don't play this "friend" tag line - it's obvious that you cannot even communicate with this friend and ask simple questions.

Email customer service from the Lexus site and ask for the build sheet. That will tell you straight away what options are equipped on the car.
Old 01-22-15, 05:53 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Are you buying this car from a friend or an enemy? Don't play this "friend" tag line - it's obvious that you cannot even communicate with this friend and ask simple questions.

Email customer service from the Lexus site and ask for the build sheet. That will tell you straight away what options are equipped on the car.
What are talking about??? Just because I don't want to overwhelm the guy with questions left and right doesn't mean he is trying to take me or anything. He bought the car over 10 years ago and he is not a car guy so I doubt he even really knew the options that he was getting other than buying a Lexus that had navigation. He couldn't even remember if he had done the timing belt or not but after looking at his service records he did...it was just that it was 3.5 years ago.

I'm mostly trying to do research while I'm waiting for the car. I see that the air suspension can be an issue. From my understanding the air suspension only came one the Ultra Luxury model so I'm trying to determine if his is a UL. I can almost guarantee if I asked him if his car was a UL he would have no clue. So, I'm wondering if I could determine that from the VIN.

Quick Reply: New member, pre-purchase questions