LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04' Lexus LS430 HELP !!! - External system is not connected

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 05:52 PM
bnguyenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04' Lexus LS430 HELP !!! - External system is not connected

I recently just purchased an 04 Lexus LS430.
When I start up the car, the Lexus start up screen turns on. Then when it loads for a bit it turns black. When i hit the navi button, a message pops up " External system is not connected"
I've checked all the fuse by the engine bay, the drivers and passengers foot and they all come out to be good.
Option / Climate / Audio button works and has a display on the screen, but no music/sound.
My reverse camera is also not working. Parking sensors is.
Anyone had the same problem ? help me !!

Last edited by RA40; 12-19-14 at 09:32 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 12-19-14, 05:54 PM
bnguyenz
Driver School Candidate

I've also checked the ECU in the back of the trunk, everything is all connected
Old 12-19-14, 06:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

when i had my whole center console apart running wires and installing my double din, i ran into this issue but that was due to the fact half my console was out.

there is a plug behind there that is not connected correctly. if you can just start remove the panels one by one and seeing which one is disconnected.

you can use this as a removal guide
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...l-buttons.html
Old 12-19-14, 08:41 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Disassemble your NAV from the panel. Check the wiring.

Because if it shows anything, that means it works, so you're good there.

If you plug them correctly and screen works, but you find that the camera still doesn't,
check the license plates lights. I had one of them disconnected and the camera never came on and the screen stayed black when I went into reverse.

I checked the bulbs over the license plates and found that one of them was disconnected, plugged it back in and was working again like a charm.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-14, 08:52 PM
bnguyenz
Driver School Candidate

I've resolved the problem. Took apart my headunit and found out it was just a blown fuse. Thanks for the help.
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (11-12-21)
Old 05-08-17, 08:24 AM
omegadoug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which fuse did you replace? I'm having the same problem.
Old 05-11-19, 10:38 AM
HOWIEXU
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same experience on my 2005 LS430 and it shows the EXOTERNAL SYSTEM NOT CONNECTED. My audio and A/C works but not the Navi and Bluetooth . Aske the dealership for help , they will charge me $246 for a diagnostic and offer me a exchange program . The unit could cost $5K . Is anyone knows how to resolve this issues ?
Old 04-24-21, 01:03 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Hi All, any resolutions here?
his just started happening to me yesterday. In surfing the net, turns out it spans Toyota and Lexus models. Does anyone know a fix to this without replacing the head unit which is $4k even from Amayama!
There are many threads on this that never led to conclusive results.
Can a car stereo shop fix this with re-soldering connections? I am not much of a DIY-er and will NOT start ripping apart the dash.
I don't want to sell this, but also you really can't sell a car that has no HVAC control ability.

@bnguyenz are you still here? Did your fuse replacement fix the problem for good? Other threads I have read suggest no.

Last edited by CA2WALS430; 04-24-21 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JosefR (11-10-21)
Old 05-08-21, 12:44 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Well, if anybody ever looks this thread up again, it worked. I sent it to RadioMedics in California, which was 2-day UPS Ground shipping for me. It sounds like other people have been happy with the place in Indiana also. It is not a fuse issue, so while some people on here had a temporary fix from that, notice they did not update the thread. The issue is the solder that was used back then, and both Toyota and Lexus issued Service Bulletins about it, but they only lead to replacement, a non-option for most that are driving cars that are worth as much as the screen purchased new.
In California:
https://radiomedics.com/
In Indiana:
http://www.autobeyours.com/Ebay%20MFD%20listing.htm

Toyota is still offering an exchange program, but it is around $1200. Don't do that! I paid a stereo shop $115 to pull it out, spent $48 in total shipping, and $150 for the repair. I reinstalled it myself. So all-in I am at about 1/4 of the exchange price.
The following 2 users liked this post by CA2WALS430:
BigBoomer (05-10-21), Jabberwock (05-10-21)
Old 11-10-21, 05:13 PM
JosefR
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
In California:
https://radiomedics.com/
In Indiana:
http://www.autobeyours.com/Ebay%20MFD%20listing.htm

I paid a stereo shop $115 to pull it out, spent $48 in total shipping, and $150 for the repair. I reinstalled it myself. So all-in I am at about 1/4 of the exchange price.
Where did you get it done? The first one you show charges $450 and the second one is $300.
I called Toyota to see about the exchange and they told me there are 6 different models/prices for my VIN and wouldn't give me a price because I can't see some number on my cassette door that they need.

Last edited by JosefR; 11-11-21 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-11-21, 01:45 PM
BlakeLS
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was driving through CA by Radiomedics and gave them a try. Before my screen would turn off when it's extremely hot, but otherwise mostly fine. After the repair the screen wouldn't turn on, so I had to find one from an '05 at a junkyard for $450. Be prepared it might not be fixable.

Originally Posted by JosefR
Where did you get it done? The first one you show charges $450 and the second one is $300.
I called Toyota to see about the exchange and they told me there are 6 different models/prices for my VIN and wouldn't give me a price because I can't see some number on my cassette door that they need.
Old 11-11-21, 07:04 PM
JosefR
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't sound like much of a repair. Mine started working again today, but I assume it's jacked, so I am having it pulled tomorrow and sending it to AutoBeYours for $299. Hopefully they fix it right.
Old 11-11-21, 08:07 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

@BlakeLS , wow! I am sorry to hear that did not work for you. You and I messaged and I thought this was the normal problem.

@JosefR , sounds like a good plan. Despite BlakeLS's story, there are a few different threads by various titles on this blog about this. I updated 2 of the threads with my info. It generally is the low- or non-lead solder that began being used in 2004. Good luck. I think you are going down the right path.
Old 09-29-22, 09:31 AM
RASII
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEllo, which fuse was it? I just took over my fathers 2004 ls 430 and Im seeing the same message code for the nvi button.
Old 10-01-22, 11:11 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

It's not a fuse. Its the solder connections. See details above. It takes some $$ to get it fixed, but ignore the dealership and follow the posts above.

Quick Reply: 04' Lexus LS430 HELP !!! - External system is not connected