Blacked out headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 08:10 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Blacked out headlights

Speaking of headlights,
I couldn't find someone that had the opportunity to post any blacked out headlights, nor tail lights.
Wanted to do it forever, just found the time today and got it done in about 3 hours.

Steps:
1- Remove 9 screws under front bumper.

2- Turn steering wheel to the right fully. (If working on left head light)

3- Take off 2 clip screws holding the wheel cover on the side of the bumper.

4- Take off 2 screws that are holding the wheel cover from the middle.

5- When you're able to fit your hand in between the wheel cover and the bumper, inside there are 2 10 mm bolts on top of each other, you'll need a deep socket to take this out.

6- There is also a screw on the edge of the bumper, pointing up, so you'd have to angle your head upward while on the ground to see it. Remove that.

7- Open up the hood, remove the middle black clip screw, and the one next to your headlight.

8- Also, remove the clips that are on the black plastic cover that is covering the headlights.

9- The headlights are mounted on by 3, 10 mm screws. a- Towards edge of the bumper, just pull the bumper out till you see it. b- under the plastic cover close to the middle. c- top edge of the headlight.

10- After all that is done, just unplug all the wires attached to the headlight, pull the bumper out a bit, and the headlight are free!

--

Opening the headlights up was easy, and not hard as I thought they would be.
I used a heat gun, hovered it over thugs for about a minute, then with a score driver carefully opened them up.

Once you pop the clear cover off, you should only have 1 screw that tightens the silver background frame (which is the one you want to paint with whatever color you like.)

Take it out, tape and paint it. I used plastic dip on mine, just because of how easy you can apply it, and if any accidents happen, you can always peel and then re-plasti dip.

Gave it about 4 coats of regular black plasti-dip from the Home Depot, at the cost of $4.98 a can.
You shouldn't need more than 1 aerosol can for both headlights.

------

Tail lights were just as easy, if easier.

You just remove the grey interior in the trunk till you see 3, 10 mm bolts which just un-bolt and out come your tail lights.

But I didn't use Plasti-Dip on them, of that will not make them visible when breaking. Instead you use VHT shades, at a price of around $12, you'll find it at any car shop.

Hope you guys like it, enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Blacked out headlights-img_4707.jpg   Blacked out headlights-img_4708.jpg   Blacked out headlights-img_4709.jpg   Blacked out headlights-img_4603-2.jpg   Blacked out headlights-img_4605.jpg  

Old 12-16-14, 08:20 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

A shot with lights off, then a shot with lights on.

When pressing down on the brake, the light is pretty much 70% visible, than what it really.
And that is with 3 coats of the VHT shades spray.
Attached Thumbnails Blacked out headlights-img_4611-3.jpg   Blacked out headlights-img_4630.jpg  
Old 12-19-14, 06:41 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice looking. I like the white with black accents. What color is the interior? White leather?? that would be sweet.
Old 12-19-14, 08:26 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KawiLex
Very nice looking. I like the white with black accents. What color is the interior? White leather?? that would be sweet.
Thanks Kawi! You bet! Ecru all the way!

I like to call it vanilla.
Old 12-21-14, 07:54 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
A shot with lights off, then a shot with lights on.

When pressing down on the brake, the light is pretty much 70% visible, than what it really.
And that is with 3 coats of the VHT shades spray.
Where did u order ur mud flaps?
Old 12-21-14, 11:43 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The fronts look interesting. I'm not a fan because I am not into this style. I like the chrome. The back I would think is a bit dangerous. How are people supposed to tell if you are slowing down or have to hit the brakes? We have all been behind someone without brake lights... not pleasant. I would at least fix your third brake light and / or put in led bulbs to make up for the drastic loss in rear brake light lumens.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-21-14 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 01:33 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Bought the mud flaps back home, costed $90.
They aren't OEM but they look great. And color matching is perfect.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The fronts look interesting. I'm not a fan because I am not into this style. I like the chrome. The back I would think is a bit dangerous. How are people supposed to tell if you are slowing down or have to hit the brakes? We have all been behind someone without brake lights... not pleasant. I would at least fix your third brake light and / or put in led bulbs to make up for the drastic loss in rear brake light lumens.

That's the great thing about this shade, as it may look very dark, it's still very translucent and will light up brightly when I hold the brakes.

I'd say %30 of the original brightness is lost, a blind man will tell if I'm slowing down.
Old 12-21-14, 02:21 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

The fronts headlights look great, much improved without the excess chrome. Well done.

Darkening the rear brake lights is not something I would do for safety reasons. It does fit your cars look, but it also reduces the light output of your brake lights ... and you are less safe as a result. No reduction in safety is worth any improvement in appearance.
Old 12-21-14, 02:37 PM
DennisCB
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the taillights are illegal in FL.
Old 12-21-14, 02:43 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

This is a step backward in safety. I would never increase the risk of getting rear-ended, especially in my LS, with the very distinct possibility that the modification to the visibility of the brake lights creates a legal defense to the general rule that the person who rear-ends is strictly liable.
Old 12-21-14, 02:48 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

agree 100% with the above posters. Darkening the taillights is a disaster waiting to happen. Super dangerous and not well thought out.
Old 12-21-14, 03:44 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisCB
the taillights are illegal in FL.
ISP thinks they're "rolling probable cause" here too ... why give the police a reason to stop you?
Old 12-21-14, 05:06 PM
DennisCB
Rookie

it is a 115.00 fine in FL. i no i had a Crossfire before the Lexus an had a highway patrol stop me for tinted tail lamps mine were not painted i had to take the them off roadside to not get a fine
Old 12-21-14, 05:26 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Again, the taillights are very well lit. The LED's in the taillights are very bright and strong.
I only applied 3 coats, and when I hold the brakes they shine like the sun behind me.

Don't talk about safety until you see what it really looks like, (Stu, Tom, Ayupes). No disaster is about to happen or whatever you're implying. I made sure that the taillights are very well seen even without pressing the brakes. I care for the safety of my surroundings more than I would care for myself.

You can apply up to 5 coats of the VHT NightShades, then you won't be able to see when taillights are on but you can still see them when the brakes are pressed.

I have 3 coats, and you can see my taillights from far away at night without me holding the brakes, when I hold the brakes it lights very brightly.
And that is the key to applying the shade professionally and in a correct manner. So that you are operating your vehicle in a safe way while not harming others.
Old 01-03-15, 09:05 PM
lowteq
Driver School Candidate

They look cool, but if you ever get rear ended.....You will be considered at fault, just realize that.

Quick Reply: Blacked out headlights