Levinson sound settings and jumpy steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 02:31 PM
rmbb1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Levinson sound settings and jumpy steering

Hello all,

I just got myself a 2001 LS430. I have a few questions though.

Im having a few problems. Nothing major. First is with the ML system. It comes and goes. I am guessing it's the amp. I bought a used amp but the system still is not working like it should, however more frequently. Buying a new amp is not an opnion really. Before it's in Sweden, with taxes and import duties, Im looking at $2000, 1/3 of what I paid for the vehicle.

Anyways, the steering is jumpy. I think that's the word. It's very very sensitive to road input. It picks up every little imperfection on the road and then decides to let the wheels turn in that direction so the the wheel keeps wanting to go to the right and to the left pretty much all the time when Im on city roads. Is this something that's typical for this car? There's play somewhere or is it possibly just the tires?

An other question. The sounds setings for the ML system, can they be stored somehow? It seems my system is preset to something that doesn't seem like a factory setting with the balance being shifted towards the rear speakers and the rest of the settings not in balance with one another. Can my personal setting be stored?
Old 12-07-14, 04:21 PM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"the steering is jumpy. I think that's the word. It's very very sensitive to road input. It picks up every little imperfection on the road and then decides to let the wheels turn in that direction so the the wheel keeps wanting to go to the right and to the left pretty much all the time when Im on city roads. Is this something that's typical for this car?"

Mine does the same with the steering...
I suspect is something to do with the suspension bushes? but I have not investigated much yet...
someone will come and shed some light I bet.
Old 12-08-14, 06:46 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

I purchased a new amp this year from egusman on ebay for $600.

You might be able to do better.

It resolved the on again/off again problem I had similar to yours.

As far as the steering, you may just need an alignment.

While they are doing that, have them check all the bushings, balljoints, etc.

Alan
Old 12-08-14, 12:02 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

My sound settings hold when the key is turned off. Could this be related to your problem with the system cutting off? Perhaps there is a pinched wire.

As far as the steering issue there are plenty of threads here on this common problem. Here are a couple:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...wandering.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ent-issue.html

Depending on the miles, and your issue it may take a number of new suspension parts to bring it back up to snuff. I'm at 120K and I know the struts are weak. When I do those and the strut mounts, I will most likely spring for new LCA bushings too.
Old 12-09-14, 05:29 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd take it to a good alignment shop and have them check for loose or warn front end parts. Get any worn out parts or bushings replaced. Then get a new set of quality tires put on and finally have a 4 wheel alignment performed on the new setup.
Old 12-13-14, 10:48 AM
Terryb
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I have a 05 with 75k miles and I had problems with the car following every imperfection on the road too. I first bought new steering rack bushings from Lexus and had a local indy shop install them. This improved the steering but not enough. Next I replaced the Bridgestone Pontenza RE960 tires with Michelin MXV4's and this provided a great improvement. I then replaced the LCA bushings and a 4 wheel alignment and the car tracks mostly true. A great improvement.
Old 12-17-14, 03:06 PM
rmbb1981
Driver School Candidate

The jerky steering is resolved. I switched to the oem wheels. The previous owner had the summer tires on after market rims. The winter tires looked like **** and were 10 years old yet with them on with the oem rims, the car is totally a different car. Not only does it drive like a car should drive but also it makes less noise and it seems to me that is consumes less gas.

I know some of you are going to say it's the tires. I don't think so though. I think there is something about the offset or something of the after market rims that were incompatible with how the suspension on this car is set up. I know that suspensions are tuned for certain wheel specifications and if you stray to far from these specs you might well end up with a badly behaving car. This is what I think happened to me.

I took the car to a shop though, yesterday, before I replaced the rims. They took it up, they found nothing wrong with the suspension or anything else but suggested a four wheel alignment. $320 they wanted for an alignment. What is a normal price for a four wheel alignment? I didn't go ahead with it but they wanted $100 for having looked at it though. Cash.

Now it's just the radio that's still not working. I bought a used amp from Japan for an arm and a leg. Radio went from being dead to working on odd days but not really worth the money.
Old 12-19-14, 01:52 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

I just had an alignment done at the dealer in Ann Arbor, MI.

$120. for what they call a laser alignment.

My car tracks better-but not perfect.

For $300+ it better be a "lifetime" alignment.
Old 12-21-14, 05:35 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyeman
I just had an alignment done at the dealer in Ann Arbor, MI.

$120. for what they call a laser alignment.

My car tracks better-but not perfect.

For $300+ it better be a "lifetime" alignment.

No alignment is a life time alignment. There isn't such a thing. Unless they mean you can come back in whenever and get your wheels aligned for no charge.

Check your tire pressure's, they may be a bit off, nitrogen helps.

Also installing a rear sport sway bar will help your car track better.