LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Newbie here with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 08:30 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here with a few questions

Just closed a deal on a 04 LS430 last night. It looks like it has the premium package since it has rear seat heaters. No nav/ML radio. It has 121K on it and is metallic gold.

I had a PPI done by an awesome independent shop before I bought it. There verdict was that it's a good solid car but is lacking some with maintenance, mainly the TB wasn't done at 90K. I did check it out on lexus.com and it has records, but stopped about 2.5 years ago.

Sidenote- It does seem that since this is such a $$$ item, that folks either are putting off this maintenance item off, or trading them in around 90-120K. .

Anyway, I drove it straight from the dealer to the mechanics last night to get the TB changed, rad flushed, oil changed and new spark plugs, which were original too. The shop is going to do the TB the right way- removing the camshafts and putting in new seals and caps.

That said, I do have a couple of questions. I have searched but haven't come up with definitive answers
1- who/what are dealers, or ideally vendors, that give discount to Lexus OEM parts
2- i need some good rubber floor mats. Weathertech seem to be recommended by some, but are there others? they have to be rubber
3- since this doesn't have BT from the NAV/ML, I need to add the ability to use my iPhone. I see http://www.vaistech.com/site/sl3b.php from Vais tech has some reviews. It appears this will play music, but will it also allow the user to talk hands free? If not, is there one out there that will do this?

TIA.
Old 12-02-14, 09:16 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. sewell parts
2. i don't know
3. no idea

and if you thought TB is expensive, you haven;t encountered the UL with air struts that have gone out. those cost around 1500+ per from dealers. lexus dealers have told me many times that's the #1 reason the UL get turned in.
Old 12-03-14, 07:26 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Thanks, I will contact Sewell.

Yea, I read about the UL air suspension and decided I didn't want one for that reason.
Old 12-03-14, 12:03 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Usually you wait until 180 - 200k or 2nd TB / WP job before you do the upper and lower seals. Don't forget about the rear main seal. Then again, this is usually done at the 2nd job.

Anyway, RockAuto has the OEM Aisin kit with tensioners for a great price. Have the shop clean the throttle body and maf while you are there. Don't forget about the thermostat and radiator cap.

Lexus of South Atlanta also have good prices on OEM parts.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-03-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 08:36 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

thanks for the info Lav. I asked them to check out the MAF and TB and clean if necessary. The shop called me this evening and said they were filthy, and, since they were taking a little longer, they would do them at no charge! I should get the car back tomorrow and them move onto the next items- filters all around.
Old 12-05-14, 06:44 AM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arcteryx
Thanks, I will contact Sewell.

Yea, I read about the UL air suspension and decided I didn't want one for that reason.
When you visit Sewell parts online, sign in with your forum ID. Then, whatever parts you view---you'll see a discounted price. Sewell is one of the sponsors of this forum.
Old 12-06-14, 06:36 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

awesome, I did sign up, thats a pretty good discount.

I have a question about cabin filters. I see some where there are 2 front cabins, but I can only find the one behind the glove box and the two front seat filters. Where is the DS front filter? Or is that a UL only option?
Old 12-06-14, 07:27 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The base model LS430 has only the front A/C unit, and the filter behind the glove box is for the front blower.

The UL model has an additional A/C unit behind the back seat. It has a separate blower and air filter as shown below.

Old 12-06-14, 08:45 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

thank you, this is very helpful. excellent diagrams, where can I see more of schematics like this?
Old 12-06-14, 02:19 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by arcteryx
thank you, this is very helpful. excellent diagrams, where can I see more of schematics like this?
The easiest way is to post a request on this forum.
Old 12-08-14, 09:09 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Check out the Aisin TKT-021 (if you haven't already) it's the O.E.M kit

2. I can't certify this, but the word on the street is that the LS460L's floor mats fit in the LS430 perfectly.

3. I don't think there's an excellent BT/handsfree add-on. The best thing is probably to get an iPhone, and then get a double din head unit with carplay.
Old 12-09-14, 04:12 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

I do normally get the Aisin parts as they are less expensive than Toyota/Lexus, and I don't really care about the manufacturer's logo. I did get the denso cabin and air filters, installed last night. However, I don't see an equivalent for the seat filters. Does Denso make those?

I need mats pretty bad, I wonder if someone else can confirm the LS460s work?
Old 12-09-14, 08:21 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd just pull the seat air filters and vacuum them real well. They do very little and if you keep the car clean really don't get very dirty. My car is an 06 and still has original seat air filters and they look new.

You can order good quality cabin and engine air filters on amazon.com pretty cheap.

Amazon.com: Denso 143-2085 Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: Denso 143-2085 Air Filter: Automotive

Amazon.com: Denso 453-1007 First Time Fit Cabin Air Filter for select  Lexus models: Automotive Amazon.com: Denso 453-1007 First Time Fit Cabin Air Filter for select Lexus models: Automotive
Old 12-22-14, 06:16 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Couple of things since- I bought weathertech's cargo liner and a set of all-weather floor mats. The rear cargo is great and has already saved the carpet once. It only comes in black, which is fine.

As far as the mats, they are nice. I live in the country with a gravel drive, so dirt is inevitable. These do a great job protecting the carpet. The only downside is the color- the brown doesn't quite match any of the interior, but it is still acceptable. The alternative would be black, which wouldn't have worked.

I also picked up some strongarm rear trunk supports, which I will install today.

I'm considering new tires. The fronts and rears are two different brands, with the fronts being Made in China They have good tread, but the Michelin Primacy's seem to have excellent reviews. I am just waiting for the $70 coupon from Costco to come back- their current promo is $70 for BFGs. Hopefully next month.
Old 12-22-14, 06:17 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

I should add, if anyone is interested in seeing the liners, let me know and I can get pics

Quick Reply: Newbie here with a few questions