LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What's the easiest way to enhance my Mark Levinson Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 06:06 AM
AuttiMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the easiest way to enhance my Mark Levinson Stereo?

I am hoping to use my iPhone via Bluetooth or use a USB/headphone jack for iTunes, Pandora, etc...

My LS430 is. 2001 model and is premium package.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 12-02-14, 06:34 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the MML product offered by VaisTech (a Club Lexus product vendor). http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php They also offer a bluetooth product. I like the MML for the superior sound quality and though it is wired to your iPhone, it charges the phone when connected. I installed a USB connection in the main console box.
Old 12-02-14, 06:57 AM
AuttiMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response! I clicked on the link then went to the forum. There appears to be a problem with the Bluetooth product .

Maybe the vendor could explain if that problem has been resolved.
Old 12-02-14, 07:24 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AuttiMan
Thanks for the response! I clicked on the link then went to the forum. There appears to be a problem with the Bluetooth product .

Yes, others here have had issues with their bluetooth product, which I am not a fan of.
Old 12-02-14, 10:37 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have SAT on yours then a BT can be hooked up. I'd recommend going to a professional install have have them put one in for you. This way it'll remove all possible headache of compatibility issues and leave the burden on them. It doesn't work. Take it back. Won't charge. Take it back. Otherwise install it yourself and possibly spend the next three weekends figuring out why.

As for music go iPhone lossless and use a usb. That would be the most accurate reproduction of the music.
Good luck.
Old 12-02-14, 01:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I use the GROM adapter with stereo mini jack. I prefer the sound quality over bluetooth. Plus less overall issues and the ability for whoever to plug in their phone, iPod, iPad, etc.
Old 12-02-14, 01:26 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I use the GROM adapter with stereo mini jack. I prefer the sound quality over bluetooth. Plus less overall issues and the ability for whoever to plug in their phone, iPod, iPad, etc.
Which harness did you use to connect the stereo to the grom unit? Grom support told me the module is not supported in US spec LS 430s and neither Toy 1 nor Toy2 nor Lex harnesses will work with my car.

On topic. Sound wise you can dynamat doors and rear deck.
Old 12-02-14, 06:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Which harness did you use to connect the stereo to the grom unit? Grom support told me the module is not supported in US spec LS 430s and neither Toy 1 nor Toy2 nor Lex harnesses will work with my car.

On topic. Sound wise you can dynamat doors and rear deck.
I was thinking it would be nice to add something like this. Could be mounted and removed easily.

Amazon.com: Bazooka BTA8250D-DE BT Series 8-Inch 250-Watt Class D Double Ended Bass Tube: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Bazooka BTA8250D-DE BT Series 8-Inch 250-Watt Class D Double Ended Bass Tube: Car Electronics

This is the one I have:

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/andro...interface.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-02-14 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 06:30 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

The OP wants to use his iPhone with OEM radio. I'm not personally familiar with Grom, Lav, however nothing in their product specs states that it supports an iPhone connection, only Android.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/andro...interface.html
Old 12-02-14, 06:33 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AuttiMan

Contact Eugene Kaspin directly at VaisTech for answers: info@vaistech.com
Old 12-02-14, 07:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's usb and mini. Mini stereo is what I'm taking about. Plug it into anything. I use my iPhone, usb stick, iPad, whatever I want. Don't have to deal with pairing and sound quality issues. Just works a lot better for me. If you want wireless both manufacturers make good units.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-03-14 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-03-14, 01:01 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't even bother to talk about music quality if you're playing mp3 format music, as it has has been stripped of approximately 90% of the music found on a typical music CD. But then, the younger generation knows virtually nothing but mp3 music streamed from their phones, etc.
Old 12-03-14, 01:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Jay,

You are right and wrong. Check out this article. At 320 kbps you really cannot tell the difference between a MP3 or CD. It's not true uncompressed audio but were talking about a car here not a studio.

http://www.keithstead.com/and_more/cd_vs_mp3.html
Old 12-04-14, 12:38 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

It's usb and mini. Mini stereo is what I'm taking about. Plug it into anything. I use my iPhone, usb stick, iPad, whatever I want. Don't have to deal with pairing and sound quality issues. Just works a lot better for me. If you want wireless both manufacturers make good units.
Plugging an iPhone into the Grom via mini plug, does it integrate into the car radio controls on the screen and steering wheel? Can you control music selections, options, etc. and see text of music info on the main LS Radio screen (like playing a CD), or is it controlled only on the iPhone or iPad plugged into the Grom?

I've had no issues pairing the VaisTech MML product in both LS's, and certainly no sound quality issues. The MML does have a higher quality audiophile, distortion-free sound transmission / reproduction than other similar audio integration products. (Sound being only as good as the MP3 recording, but not less, as with other products.) For example, the bluetooth VaisTech product does not have the higher quality sound reproduction.

Plugging an audio device into the variably amplified (volume-controlled) mini-plug (which is designed for speakers/earphones) introduces its own sound quality issues.

I think the choice comes down to trade-offs. None of these after-market audio integration products are all things to all people, especially with trade-offs including sound quality, ease of use, and other technology adaptability considerations, to name a few.
Old 12-04-14, 02:02 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

With usb I can plug in a mem stick or hard drive up to 500 gb of music and it integrates to the screen. Showing the folders and song tracks. It's slightly odd of the way it integrates the OEM software but it works. Under the wired mini stereo mini plug I just get volume control. GROM also makes a wireless unit.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/all-toy.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-04-14 at 02:08 PM.