LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Possible LS430 Ultimate purchase....air suspension worries/questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 06:07 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible LS430 Ultimate purchase....air suspension worries/questions.....

I've had air suspensions burn me in the past, so I'm on the fence here. I wish there was a way to get the backseat stuff with the regular spring suspension, but apparently it is not possible (?)

My questions are, when the air suspension craps out as I'm sure it will eventually, what happens on an LS430?
Does it sag to the ground like a Lincoln or Benz does?
What kind of warning lights are set off?
What does it ride like (broken)? Or is it even drivable?
Finally what do people typically pay for a switchover to standard suspension, assuming labor is also needed (I don't do suspension work)?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-14, 09:46 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All these questions are addressed in the FAQ section of the 430 forum.

The shock will bleed oil and your compressor will try running all the time due to bad struts. Your either replace them with standard ones or replace with air struts. No warning lights. Its drivable but not smooth. Bad vibration from road imperfections from either bad front struts and/or front LCA bushings. replacing those fixed my car's issues. switchover costs are discussed ad nauseum in other heavily posted threads. the car will obviously be lower at the bad strut. usual life of air struts are a max of 120k for most drivers.
Old 12-01-14, 07:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Don't be afraid of UL's just because of the air suspension. Old air-bags are really the only thing that you will have to replace.. Just be prepared for having to work on it eventually.

Parts only

Replace with new OEM shock - $1100 each
Replace with OEM rebuilt shock - $750 each
Replace with used OEM shock - $200 each
Replace suspension with coils and shocks - $1000
Replace suspension with coil-overs - $1200

Edited for accuracy.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-05-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 05:12 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Parts only - so with labor you could be lookin at 6 Grand! SH|T!!
Used would be kinda pointless I would think, since the labor cost would be the same but you could theoretically have to do it over and over with used stuff
Old 12-01-14, 09:00 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Don't be afraid of UL's just because of the air suspension. Old air-bags are really the only thing that you will have to replace.. Just be prepared for having to work on it eventually.

Parts only

If one fails:

Replace with new OEM shock - $1100 each
Replace with OEM rebuilt shock - $750 each
Replace with used OEM shock - $200 each
Replace suspension with coils and shocks - $1400
Replace suspension with coilers - $1200
where do you get the old air bags replaced. how much does it cost. is there a reputed place to do that replacement.
where do you find oem rebuitl shock. Air supsension is the only deterrent factor for me in leaning towards purchasing a UL. Even the dealership warns (cost $$$) about this.
Old 12-02-14, 02:46 AM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Poland we can replace our damage air shocks absorber to rebuild shocks for about 350$.
Rebuilt shocks look fine. Company which rebuilding this shocks absorber has couple of years experience in air shocks absorbers refurbishing.

http://allegro.pl/amortyzator-lexus-...809551914.html
Old 12-02-14, 08:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You gotta pay to play. I love all the feature of my UL. You will be hard pressed finding those who don't. Don't want to deal with the air suspension? Buy something else.

Most just replace the whole suspension. If you source the parts yourself you can actually do the whole conversion for less then 2 grand out the door. Especially, if you can find OEM springs from a salvage yard vs buying them new. KYB shocks are only about $100 each. Labor is not that much really. To replace one or two leaking airshocks is not a lot of labor.

Ebay and RockAuto has everything I just mentioned. Just search for it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-02-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-02-14, 01:10 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my air suspension replaced around 100k miles. I didn't wait until shocks blew, ordered parts little by little and changed it. Don't forget, you need to buy shocks AND springs as well as extra parts from the dealer to do the conversion. Sport shocks for some reason are cheaper then regular, aftermarket springs are cheaper than stock spings.my conversion was $1300 including labour ($300), springs were $230 I think from eBay, the rest was shocks and other parts minus $20 tip
The following users liked this post:
bjchilds1 (11-29-21)
Old 12-03-14, 08:49 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
I had my air suspension replaced around 100k miles. I didn't wait until shocks blew, ordered parts little by little and changed it. Don't forget, you need to buy shocks AND springs as well as extra parts from the dealer to do the conversion. Sport shocks for some reason are cheaper then regular, aftermarket springs are cheaper than stock spings.my conversion was $1300 including labour ($300), springs were $230 I think from eBay, the rest was shocks and other parts minus $20 tip
so after conversion did you miss the air suspension ride or is it comfortable enough to enjoy luxury.
Old 12-04-14, 03:49 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeskay
so after conversion did you miss the air suspension ride or is it comfortable enough to enjoy luxury.
Nothing can compare to an air suspension ride. But to spend 5k on an old car is crazy. There are positive things about sport shocks and lowering springs though: better handling, car looks better lovered, less body roll. You do feel the road more and it's more stiff but just a little bit. I love it.
Old 12-04-14, 06:02 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Nothing can compare to an air suspension ride. But to spend 5k on an old car is crazy. There are positive things about sport shocks and lowering springs though: better handling, car looks better lovered, less body roll. You do feel the road more and it's more stiff but just a little bit. I love it.
This! There was no way I was going to pay around $1500 per air shock to replace them. I did the steel spring/shocks conversion for around the price of 1 air shock which included installation. I also went with the lowering spring which gives the car a great stance. It also slightly impacts ride, but nothing compared to the thuds I was feeling with the blown air shocks.
Old 01-04-15, 04:59 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by writes123
All these questions are addressed in the FAQ section of the 430 forum.

The shock will bleed oil and your compressor will try running all the time due to bad struts. Your either replace them with standard ones or replace with air struts. No warning lights. Its drivable but not smooth. Bad vibration from road imperfections from either bad front struts and/or front LCA bushings. replacing those fixed my car's issues. switchover costs are discussed ad nauseum in other heavily posted threads. the car will obviously be lower at the bad strut. usual life of air struts are a max of 120k for most drivers.
how much is it for a new air compressor? I am aware of mine now...it sounds louder than usual. I wonder if it's going to die at some point. The ride is fine though. I had one air strut go bad before and I know how bad it can get...I'm not there now.
Old 01-05-15, 06:02 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

If your compressor is kicking on all the time then you have an air leak somewhere in the system. There are multiple ways the air-shocks fail. They usually leak oil or air but usually not both. They can also make some kind of rattle sound when going over potholes or rough road. Someone mentioned that the air compressor as some bushings on it but I have never heard of anyone replacing these.

Mine does kick on more in cold weather vs warm.
Old 01-05-15, 01:28 PM
MX5
Pole Position

I did end up buying the UL and I love it (been about a month now). Just a great car.

On a somewhat related note - cold weather does seem to be rougher on air suspensions....my Mark VIII has newish suspension airbags, and stays "inflated" for weeks on end in warmer weather, but the front will sink down in like 2 days when it's really cold.
Old 01-05-15, 06:19 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is exactly why I decided to go for the sports suspension model. I love it. I guess what you don't have, you don't miss but I am truly very happy with the 'old style' springs.

Quick Reply: Possible LS430 Ultimate purchase....air suspension worries/questions.....