Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

The mysterious link between VSC and the oil control valve (OCV) malfunction

Old 11-29-14, 07:35 PM   #1
reozone
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default The mysterious link between VSC and the oil control valve (OCV) malfunction

This is more an FYI post since I believe I may have finally solved my problem. About a year and a half ago, the ďCheck VSCĒ warning message started to come on in our 2001 LS430 (now at 245k miles). It seemed intermittent at first but then just stayed on. My research at the time indicated that, since I had recently read diagnostic codes, I may have inadvertently triggered the message. To be honest with you, I canít remember what came first: reading the codes or getting the VSC error message. Regardless, I forced the VSC test by jumpering the TS and CG pins on the OBD connector as I had read to do. Magically, the error went away and the VSC started working again, just in time for another winter in Eastern Ohio. Meanwhile, my wife started to complain that the Lexus (her daily driver) ran rough at idle every once in a while. This past spring I did a timing belt/water pump replacement and popped in some new spark plugs while I had things apart, thinking that would fix things. Well, it ran better, but the rough idle still happened every now and then. VSC message continued to plague us and would be reset every now and then but always came back with what appeared to be increasing frequency. I was driving the car about 2 weeks ago when it began running rough again. I ran diagnostics and found two codes I had never seen: P1351 and P1354. Research indicated they were related to valve timing with the OCV as the most likely culprit. At that point, my internet research first indicated a possible link between the OCV and the VSC. I ordered genuine Toyota replacement valves online and replaced them the other day, reset the error codes, reset the VSC, and hoped for the best. Well, itís been 4 days now and everything seems perfect. There appears to be some mysterious link between the VSC operation and the OCV. In addition, the VSC started malfunctioning many months before any error code related to the OCV was generated. Any Lexus/Toyota experts out there who can explain this? It really doesnít make sense to lose VSC capability just because your engine is starting to run rough.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
reozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-14, 12:12 PM   #2
Tom57
Pole Position

The Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) appears to be a companion MIL to other malfunction codes. With nearly identical mileage as yours on my '01, 2 weeks ago, I had rough idle, VSC Off and engine light on. Codes showed passenger side OCV. Replaced it. Then, a few miles later, same symptoms with VSC Off light and on-board diagnostic warning lights. This time, codes showed driver's side OCV. Replaced it. Been running fine for several miles now, with better performance and improved gas mileage. (My experience suggests that the OCV valves should be replaced together, since they continuously adjust valve timing for each bank of the V-8. Others here have had similar experience.) Your P1354 code indicates you replaced the passenger side (Bank 2) OCV. Be prepared for rough idle to return soon, VSC Off light, and MIL codes including P1349. Don't get discouraged. This would simply mean Bank 1 (Driver's side) OCV is faulty, another easy DIY fix. (Part # 15340-50011).

Why the VSC Off light? I have had the VSC Off light on other occasions, for example, when a brake light switch (under the brake pedal) was faulty and ABS sensor issue - why it seems to be a companion light to other core issue(s). Your OCV must've been intermittently faulty, causing periodic VSC Off light and throwing codes. The codes could go away after multiple starts and mileage if the OCV was working properly, then return again when the valve acted up.
- 17" hyper silver wheels, VaisTech MML, upgraded Nav to Gen 4

1995 LS400 - sold
1990 LS400 - sold

Last edited by Tom57; 11-30-14 at 04:49 PM..
Tom57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-14, 05:51 PM   #3
reozone
Driver School Candidate

TOM57, thanks for the input. I did replace both banks at the same time for the exact reasons you are stating. Hopefully, I will not be plagued by another VSC malfunction for a long time. We put another 250 miles on the car today without any issues. I'm feeling pretty confident. Also, about a year or so ago, we did have a problem with the brake switch, which I also replaced. Maybe that's what started it all.
reozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-14, 07:28 PM   #4
Tom57
Pole Position

Glad to hear you are trouble-free again, reozone.

The earlier brake switch issue is unrelated to your recent issue with OCVs. (Smart you replaced both of those critical valves.) You could get another VSC Off light down the road, but it most likely won't be from the OCVs.
- 17" hyper silver wheels, VaisTech MML, upgraded Nav to Gen 4

1995 LS400 - sold
1990 LS400 - sold
Tom57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 12:29 AM   #5
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

vas79gb

Glad you got it sorted.

Having had some issues with my other car a Citroen C5. It was doing the same thing when an exhaust differential sensor did not work properly and was putting the car in limp mode. The stability control would not function. The car was a diesel.

From what I gather, it is purely when the torque of the engine is sacrifised and the engine cannot operate properly, then the VSC will be turned off.

You have to remember the VSC is not working only on the brakes. But it also will cut back on the spark, throttle. In order to regain control of the car should anything happen.
When the timing on the car is not working correct and the computer cannot get proper readings, the VSC will go off. Either wise the car could do anything it likes.

Yours was a tricky one initially without any relevant code.
kentgs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 08:06 AM   #6
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Both of mine went bad this year about 8 months apart. I've had no problems or error messages since replacing them. It's an easy fix too.
Boomer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 08:06 AM