LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

GUNK fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 08:22 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

$2.99 for Premium gas here in Waukesha County Wi...
Old 12-07-14, 09:09 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

This product may be the complete DIY solution (in tank additive, throttle body cleaner and induction fuel injection cleaner without need for special tools). ($10 rebate thru year-end)

Amazon.com: 3M 39089 Fuel System Tune-Up Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 39089 Fuel System Tune-Up Kit: Automotive
Old 12-08-14, 04:19 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

XJS, My kids working second shift. I have a seat on the 20 with me for the game tonight at Lambeau if yur interested. Live in Appleton, we can drive up from there. Is MKE county 299 also, I get down every couple weeks. Warm
Old 12-08-14, 08:00 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
XJS, My kids working second shift. I have a seat on the 20 with me for the game tonight at Lambeau if yur interested. Live in Appleton, we can drive up from there. Is MKE county 299 also, I get down every couple weeks. Warm
Hi Warm,

I appreciate the offer on the game but I am having family over for it... I'm not sure what the cost is in Milwaukee county but the Gasbuddy app would tell you. Costco in Pewaukee is $2.99 for premium... Thanks again for the offer on the game. Go Packers!!!
Old 12-09-14, 05:07 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Like other proprietary gas stations which have their own cleaning formulas already in the pump gas, Chevron gas already has Techron in it. Lucas fuel treatment is very popular too - not even listed above.

The only way to clean fuel injectors without risking harm to fuel tank components with these various additives is the direct induction method using a dealer-style bottle of fuel injector cleaner for attachment directly to the throttle body (disconnect the tank fuel line). No variation in strength of mixture this way either. Typically results in immediate and clean fuel injectors in one dose.
I once had a problem in my ES300 after using a bottle of fuel-treatment stuff. Had to take it to the dealer to recover. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...n-cleaner.html

Just my $0.02

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 12-09-14, 07:15 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Natey2
I once had a problem in my ES300 after using a bottle of fuel-treatment stuff. Had to take it to the dealer to recover. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...n-cleaner.html

Just my $0.02

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Your cited thread shows that in fact, it wasn't the Techron that caused the problem on your ES. You needed a full throttle body cleaning. You must've let the fuel injection and throttle body gunk build up pretty bad. And you had some unknown sensor(s) replaced on the ES as well. With your LS, you said you use Chevron gas which has Techron blended in it without any issues - the fuel treatment wasn't the cause of your idle issue on your ES.
Old 12-09-14, 07:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I did not know that having ethanol in the fuel will introduce more carbon build-up in the engine. I knew it reduces octane and mileage but to also cause more gunk to build up. Such a shame we are even using it at all.
Old 12-09-14, 08:03 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Yes, per unit volume, ethanol contains about 30% less energy than gasoline. E85 contains about 25% less energy than gasoline. High-level ethanol blends contain less energy per gallon than does gasoline = reduced gas mileage to produce the same speed and acceleration as gasoline.

Last edited by Tom57; 12-09-14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-09-14, 10:19 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I ended up getting a bottle of Duralube extreme or whatever it was called. Figured why not. Try something different then the Lucas. It's a big bottle that claims to have double the concentration but who knows. Anyway, Amazon rated it well and the car feels a little smoother and more responsive and I am half way into the treated tank. Hard to tell if it is the supped up gas or if it's cleaning off carbon deposits. Probably some of both.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-09-14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-09-14, 03:11 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, winter gasoline is the WORST !

I now have a bottle of Seafoam ( $12 ) and a bottle of BG44K ( $ 24 )

Trying to decide which one goes into the gas tank, and which one to return.
I got the BG44K at the Jaguar, Aston Martin and Rolls Royce dealership .... how bad can it be ?
Old 12-10-14, 07:17 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Very coincidentally, my guy at Lexus just emailed. Said they (the Lexus dealer service dept.) used his high-mileage '02 LS UL (200K+ miles) as a "test" car for a trial of a 3-stage cleaner/conditioner kit made by BG. Part 1 is oil additive that is poured into oil (just before an oil change) with engine running in idle for about 45 minutes. Part 2 is a conditioner that is added to fresh oil after oil and filter change. Part 3 is a fuel system cleaner gasoline additive. Included was the compression test graph before and after the kit was used. Compression went up an average of 10 - 15 lbs. My guy says this made a huge difference in acceleration. His email indicates that they are going to start offering this to higher mileage LS's that have lost some performance over time.

* Edit: My guy at Lexus is not a service advisor there.

Last edited by Tom57; 12-10-14 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 07:32 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Very coincidentally, my guy at Lexus just emailed. Said they (the Lexus dealer service dept.) used his high-mileage '02 LS UL (200K+ miles) as a "test" car for a trial of a 3-stage cleaner/conditioner kit made by BG. Part 1 is oil additive that is poured into oil (just before an oil change) with engine running in idle for about 45 minutes. Part 2 is a conditioner that is added to fresh oil after oil and filter change. Part 3 is a fuel system cleaner gasoline additive. Included was the compression test graph before and after the kit was used. Compression went up an average of 10 - 15 lbs. My guy says this made a huge difference in acceleration. His email indicates that they are going to start offering this to higher mileage LS's that have lost some performance over time.
Thank you. This is good news. The BG44K I bought will be put in my tank next time I fill up.

After standing inside a showroom full of Jaguars, Aston Martins and Rolls Royce motorcars, and buying a can of BG44K from them, I felt pretty confident they wouldn't sell anything to their customers that would damage my engine .
Old 12-10-14, 07:46 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

You won't do any harm with BG products, and their efficacy appears to be proven. Please let us know what your results are, Stu. I'm going to check out these BG products next time I'm in the 'back room' at dealer.
Old 12-10-14, 08:13 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

BG44K brought my 1990 Jaguar XJS V12 back to life... I believe it is good for around 18-20 gallons and pour it in when you are filling your tank. Drive it normally but I think it works best when it is in the tank for around a week... Try and drive it as empty as you feel comfortable. LOL. You will feel a difference within a 100 miles if the fuel system has not been maintained.
Old 12-11-14, 06:41 PM
JoshuaaXD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did an air filter and plugs on my car, while I had everything apart, I cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner, then sprayed the inside of the tb and intake with marvel mystery oil, started it up and did a bunch of hard acceleration runs until the smoke went way. It's a good way to break crap loose from the inside of the induction system. Right now I'm running mmo through the gas and driving the **** out of the car til I'm empty. I Added about half a quart to 5 gallons of gas. Much stronger a mix than recommended. Once I fill up I'll add another quart to the full tank.

I swear by this stuff, I've seen it clean crap out of the combustion chamber and piston tops. You can't drive the car like a girl if you want results.

Quick Reply: GUNK fuel injector cleaner