Originally Posted by Acura2Lex
This is all I put in my car.

+1
Old 12-03-14, 07:27 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Well I looked everywhere .....

BG44, Techron and Redline SI-1 fuel injector cleaners are NOT SOLD CANADA !

The Lexus dealer did have a small bottle with NO instructions at all on the bottle, only the LEXUS logo for $20

I regret putting the 1/2 bottle of GUNK cleaner into my engine. It running fine but using MORE gas !

Next time I go on a long highway drive, I may try adding 1/2 a can of the Seafoam I bought.... the parts store guys said it was as good as sex !
Old 12-04-14, 08:00 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Amazon sells Redline SI-1 and I think they would ship to you in Canada. You use a full bottle of Redline in a full tank of premium gas and then run the tank as low as you can... It really helps in a car that is having fuel related issues...
Old 12-04-14, 09:56 AM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Well I looked everywhere .....

BG44, Techron and Redline SI-1 fuel injector cleaners are NOT SOLD CANADA !

The Lexus dealer did have a small bottle with NO instructions at all on the bottle, only the LEXUS logo for $20

I regret putting the 1/2 bottle of GUNK cleaner into my engine. It running fine but using MORE gas !

Next time I go on a long highway drive, I may try adding 1/2 a can of the Seafoam I bought.... the parts store guys said it was as good as sex !
I have been a big fan of BG44K for a long time. Have you tried any of these locations?
http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/r...&citysearch=Go
Old 12-04-14, 01:25 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by rrgone
I have been a big fan of BG44K for a long time. Have you tried any of these locations?
http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/r...&citysearch=Go
Thank you very much ! ! Just found some close by for $24 a bottle.
Off to buy it now

THIS is one reason I like this place !
Old 12-04-14, 03:33 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Not sure why you want to pay $24 for 11oz of BG44K. Their website shows the bottle is 11oz and doesn't specify how much fuel this treats. Gumout Regane Complete 10oz is/was $6.49, treat rate is 35 gallons.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Cl#Post2675857 - the chart here was derived from MSDS datasheets in an attempt to guess at each company's "proprietary" concentration of PEA. It shows that BG44K likely has 33% PEA, whereas Gumout has 35% (and is 1/4 the price).
Old 12-04-14, 05:42 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Not sure why you want to pay $24 for 11oz of BG44K. Their website shows the bottle is 11oz and doesn't specify how much fuel this treats. Gumout Regane Complete 10oz is/was $6.49, treat rate is 35 gallons.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Cl#Post2675857 - the chart here was derived from MSDS datasheets in an attempt to guess at each company's "proprietary" concentration of PEA. It shows that BG44K likely has 33% PEA, whereas Gumout has 35% (and is 1/4 the price).
Thanks, I read the thread. Overall they prefer Redline - which is also hard to find in Toronto ...

I do remember seeing Gumout Regane ay Canadian Tire but never heard about it, ever ! That's when I bought the GUNK product ( only used half of it )
My only interested in getting a good result (cleaning) and not doing any harm and honestly the price of the fluid is not important.

I have read more good things about BG44 than Redline S1 (until today ) I know that doesn't make it better but I just have a higher comfort level pouring BG44 into my gas tank.

Last edited by Stu; 12-05-14 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 06:48 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I like BG44K and Redline... Both have performed like they should and I have used them in many vehicles. Many of the other products on the market, including Gumout, never did anything to improve/clean the fuel system... I would rather pay a little more for a product that I know works, then for one that does not do anything.
Old 12-05-14, 12:54 PM
Stu
Racer

The reason I started the thread was the mpg on on my car dropped from 19 mpg with mostly city stop and go driving down to 16.5. I added the GUNK cleaner and manually shifted the car ( for the first time) and kept the revs up to 3,000 rpm - mostly to help clear the injectors AND get the GUNK product out of the gas tank.

While the GUNK was in the car and I was driving hard and manually shifting the car was getting 12.5 mpg ,,,, and that's why I said I was sorry I added it to the gas tank,

Well, I filled up the tank last night when it was 1/4 full and the car is getting 20.4 mpg which is better than its ever done in stop and go city driving, the slight hesitation is gone and the cars idle is smoother ( not that it was ever bad )

So I actually like GUNK .... and have a 1/2 bottle left for next time !

rrgone, may still buy the BG44 anyway, for the next long trip on the highway.

In my many trips, I was told these product are useful because the quality of gas sold in NORTH AMERICA is lousy in general, They all said lots of high end cars come in for driveabilty issues and are found to have badly clogged/carboned up throttle bodies and injectors caused by burning low quality gas. Are these owners buying cheap, low octane gas from some no-name discount gas stations .... I don't know. I only buy Shell 91 octane.

Maybe the GUNK fixed a problem or I just got a bad tank of gas from Shell. Who the f___ knows !
Old 12-06-14, 09:21 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

This is something interesting I found. After looking into it, our cars do have nylon components in the fuel system.

Link

As a worst case sample of material which might be found in gasoline I used ordinary tar. The brown deposits we find coating carburators, and which collects in fuel injectors and on intake valves, are the highest boiling components in gasoline. They are tar-like materials which distilled along with the lighter gasoline. The best solvent I've ever seen for these was methylene chloride, but it's expensive and I'm sure it's being phased out to protect our ozone layer. In any case, if you used it on a modern car the chlorine freed during combustion would corrode the oxygen sensor. Amoco advertises a cleaner gasoline and I'm sure it's because they've reduced these tar-like compounds. All gas these days contains at least a little detergent of some sort to help keep these deposits from building up too much.

Dimethylformamide is listed in the literature as being a good engine cleaner and is "especially good at dissolving carbonaceous deposits". I haven't used this myself because it is a bit too toxic. Instead I used N-methyl pyrrolidone, which is also good.

For my tests, I tried to use a wide variety of products, well known and unknown, expensive and cheap, and also some pure solvents in order to represent a good cross section of products on the market. Note, carbon itself (such as soot and other thermally decomposed material) is not soluble in ANY solvent but solvents like dimethylformamide and N-methyl pyrrolidone do a good job of breaking up clumps and dispersing the fine particles to release the heavy tarry materials trapped within them. However, some of these solvents are too harsh to use freely in the fuel system. (Someone in one of these forums told me that when the auto industry looks for good cleaners, they mostly look for solvents that will not attack the plastic and rubber parts in the system.)

Most cleaners (the safer & slightly less effective ones) usually have common solvents in them like toluene, alcohol, acetone or methyl ethyl ketone, and naphtha. If you want to use these to clean your system, you can get more for your money by buying the pure solvents at a hardware store and mixing them yourself. I have never had a problem adding toluene, acetone, alcohol, or naphtha to my gas tank in quantities up to one quart per 16 gallons.

Most of the straight solvents I used are at least as flammable as gasoline so be careful if you use them. The alcohol used was pure, 100% isopropyl alcohol. This has no water in it, it is not the same as "rubbing alcohol".

These test results are as fairly and accurately done as I could manage with the equipment I had available, and the other data presented is also accurate to my knowledge. Your car may have different plastics in it than mine does so if you choose to make your own cleaner, do it at your own risk.

TEST RESULTS

RELATIVE EFFICIENCIES AT WHICH VARIOUS CLEANERS WILL DISSOLVE HIGH BOILING RESIDUES FROM GASOLINE AND CARBONACEOUS DEPOSITS FOUND IN USED MOTOR OIL, (10=BEST):

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment
· 10 Toluene (a common ingredient)
· 9 Castrol Syntec Power System
· 8 Duralube Fuel System Cleaner
· 7 Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 6 Redline SI-1
· 5 Gunk Air Intake Cleaner
· 4 Naphtha (a common ingredient)
· 4 STP Fuel System Cleaner
· 4 Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· 4 Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 4 STP Intake Valve Cleaner
· 4 CD-2 Emission Cure
· 4 Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· 3 CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 3 Techron Concentrate
· 0.5 Butyl Cellosolve (a COMMONLY used "AUTO INDUSTRY DETERGENT" for oil and grease)

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS DO NOT HURT NYLON (LISTED RANDOMLY).
(The letters in parentheses indicate how well they dissolved the material from used oil, A=best.):

· Toluene (A)
· 2-Phenoxyethanol (A)
· Duralube Fuel System Treatment (B)
· B-12 Chemtool (B)
· Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner (C)
· Techron Concentrate (D)
· STP Intake Valve Cleaner (E)
· Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· CD-2 Emission Cure
· Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· Aromatic distillates
· Naphtha
· Butyl cellosolve
· Acetone

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS WILL DECOMPOSE THE NYLON SOCK IN THE FUEL TANK. Listed in order of increasing severity:

· STP Fuel System Treatment
· CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Castrol Syntec Power System
· Redline SI-1
· Gunk Gas Treatment
· Monoethanolamine
(The monoethanolamine is the worst here. It turns nylon black on contact. It is significant to note here that the "best" "detergents" in use today are similar, strongly alkaline organic solvents). Another use for the current bunch of organic amine "detergents" is cleaning deposits out of cylinders, so I hear.

I hope this takes the guesswork out of choosing good products.

Link

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-06-14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 11:16 AM
Stu
Racer

That's almost too much information ! Its hard to know how factual it is. There's lots of misinformation on the internet. You said you use the Lucas .... it's not on the list ! I ran one bottle of Lucas last winter driving back form Florida. Had no issues and the car ran perfectly the whole way.

RELATIVE EFFICIENCIES AT WHICH VARIOUS CLEANERS WILL DISSOLVE HIGH BOILING RESIDUES FROM GASOLINE AND CARBONACEOUS DEPOSITS FOUND IN USED MOTOR OIL, (10=BEST):

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment

so, according to this article, this GUNK stuff really cleans !

THE FOLLOWING CLEANERS WILL DECOMPOSE THE NYLON SOCK IN THE FUEL TANK. Listed in order of increasing severity:

· STP Fuel System Treatment
· CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· Castrol Syntec Power System
· Redline SI-1
· Gunk Gas Treatment

Well glad I only used part of the bottle !

I still plan to put a full bottle of BG44 next time I am going for a long drive on the highway. Its $24 but heard lots of great things and nothing negative

Thanks for your post.
Old 12-06-14, 12:57 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Like other proprietary gas stations which have their own cleaning formulas already in the pump gas, Chevron gas already has Techron in it. Lucas fuel treatment is very popular too - not even listed above.

The only way to clean fuel injectors without risking harm to fuel tank components with these various additives is the direct induction method using a dealer-style bottle of fuel injector cleaner for attachment directly to the throttle body (disconnect the tank fuel line). No variation in strength of mixture this way either. Typically results in immediate and clean fuel injectors in one dose.
Old 12-06-14, 02:57 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah, it is a bit long but very interesting and it sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Interested how he had Techron as one of the least effective. Honestly, I don't know how well Lucas does. Never had any problems with it but also never felt much afterwards. I went to Walmart today to grab a few things. Looked for a bottle of Red Line or Gunk. Neither were available.

Maybe this stuff is some of the best:

Toluene 1000ml (32oz) High Purity Solvent - Household Paint Solvents - Amazon.com Toluene 1000ml (32oz) High Purity Solvent - Household Paint Solvents - Amazon.com

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-06-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-07-14, 07:30 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have put 200k plus miles on my 2 LS's, just happy I have never had fuel/injector related issues and I never ran any of this stuff. I get like 23-24.5 MPG's in summer drops a MPG in winter. I run premium gas which is now 50 cents more than regular in my area so man I need no more fuel expenses either thank goodness.

Quick Reply: GUNK fuel injector cleaner