LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 With Many Codes P1354 And So On...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 08:57 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I wonder if this is something we should add this too the maintenance list for the 120 at the same time as the plugs. Replace the OCV filters. I might go ahead and do that.
If oil & oil filter are changed on schedule and other regular maintenance is performed, the oil should not sludge up and block these OCV filters as they are like screens (larger filtration). Since the OP has unknown maintenance history, the engine could have some stubborn sludge buildup in these filters. I have never changed OCV filters (250K + miles). They are, as noted, very inexpensive and easy to replace.
Old 11-17-14, 01:04 AM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would not hurt to change the OCV filters, the cost is minimal anyway.

However where are they located? I tried to find them ... but could not see or find anything online.
The info I found was only referring to the 6cyl engines
Old 11-17-14, 01:45 AM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

For the life of me I cannot find where the filter is located on either side

Old 11-17-14, 07:13 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is most likely a bad oil control valve. I just had the P1351 and P1354 codes pop up and the VSC error pop up also. I have already ordered the passenger OCV. I had a similar problem earlier this year with the drivers side OCV and the new one solved the problem. From what I've read, cleaning the valve and filter doesn't solve the problem. They are very easy to replace, but be gentle with the clips because they are brittle and will break.

Code P1349 - Driver side OCV

Codes P1351 and P1354 - Passenger side OCV
Old 11-17-14, 07:49 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The screen is inside the OCV from what I understand. I can't seem to locate it on the diagram.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...=0&modelYear=0

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-17-14 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-17-14, 11:35 AM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The screen is inside the OCV from what I understand. I can't seem to locate it on the diagram.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rm=15678-46020
I did find it in the illustration, it is next to the oil filler cap (or under it as it seems) however, that engine is not the same as mine (3UZ-FE) I know it gets furstrating.

I called Lexus today and with the trader discount I managed to get the new OCV for £112.65 incl tax.
They ordered it and I will have it on Wednesday.
I asked them about the screen filter of the OCV and they said there is no part code for it on the system so it must come with the new OCV as they said.

I have looked in the engine where the OCV slides in and I can see the oil flowing holes in the casting. But no sign of filter anywhere...
Old 11-21-14, 08:21 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I guess I wasn't right this time. Changing out my passenger OCV did not fix the "Check VSC" error. When I had the same problem earlier this year with my driver's side OCV it fixed the error. There is no check engine light, only the check vsc error after a few seconds of starting the car.
Old 11-21-14, 08:38 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Well, I guess I wasn't right this time. Changing out my passenger OCV did not fix the "Check VSC" error. When I had the same problem earlier this year with my driver's side OCV it fixed the error. There is no check engine light, only the check vsc error after a few seconds of starting the car.
Coincidentally, I have the same / similar experience. First, I had MIL code P1354 and misfire codes for the Bank 2 even-numbered cylinders (2, 4, 6 and 8) (passenger side). I replaced the passenger side OCV (part # 15330-50011). Started it up and check engine and VSC lights were not lit anymore, so I thought problem solved. Drove for about 4 miles and when car was fully warmed up, check engine and VSC lights lit up again. Engine was running rough in idle again (ran fine at higher RPMs). This time, the codes were P1349 along with misfire codes for odd-numbered cylinders (1, 3, 5 and 7) (Bank 1 - driver's side). I just ordered the OCV for the driver's side (part # 15340-0F010 or 15340-50011). I fully expect that will solve the issue. Since these valves are integral to the variable valve camshaft timing, it's logical that they work in coordinated fashion, as monitored and regulated by the ECU. If one is new and the other is old, they are not in sync. I'll report back when I've installed the replacement OCV. I think these valves need to be replaced in pairs, especially at high mileage (as I have on the '01 -> 252K miles on the clock).
Old 11-21-14, 08:42 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Your issue may not be the OCV at all. Have you tried a simple reset of the VSC? See post # 13 in this link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...c-vsc-off.html
Old 11-21-14, 10:33 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no mechanic by any means, just a guy with a really nice toolbox. Below is just what happened to me last week

Just thinking out loud and wondering, you just got the car right?

Was the timing belt changed perhaps before you picked it up?

I changed my timing belt last weekend, in my infinite wisdom and due to the lack of adult supervision, I was 1 tooth off on both cams. Might have been the beer!

When I started the car in the garage (never made it to the road with the timing off), ran fine at an idle and higher RPM’s. But AS soon as I started it, it threw codes PO1349 & PO1354 with the VSC light. With help of the Club, I corrected the timing issue, those 2 codes plus the VSC light resolved themselves.

I pulled the cam covers can off without much effort to verify that I did in fact need the adult Supervision from the Club.

Last edited by zapola6; 11-21-14 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 12:19 AM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

From the state of the engine, I can tell the engine covers and bolts were not undone recently. So I would rule out a cambelt change from that quick look.

However I have changed the OCV valve on the (passenger side, US side) (Driver side UK side) with a brand new lexus one. Once I installed it and cleared all the codes.

Everything is working fine. The only code I have now is the VSV code that will need to be sorted at a later point.

I have not taken the car for a long run yet. But the idle and the whole engine is running way smoother, cold or hot and also revving much faster.

Will keep you posted with update

Cheers
Vasilis.
Old 11-22-14, 09:17 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kentgs300
From the state of the engine, I can tell the engine covers and bolts were not undone recently. So I would rule out a cambelt change from that quick look.

However I have changed the OCV valve on the (passenger side, US side) (Driver side UK side) with a brand new lexus one. Once I installed it and cleared all the codes.

Everything is working fine. The only code I have now is the VSV code that will need to be sorted at a later point.

I have not taken the car for a long run yet. But the idle and the whole engine is running way smoother, cold or hot and also revving much faster.

Will keep you posted with update

Cheers
Vasilis.
Glad to hear the OCV was in fact the main source of your misfiring issues. Nice DIY too! Don't be surprised if you need to replace the OCV on the opposite side (i.e. Bank 1) soon as well.

As for the VSV code 1651, this is a failed vacuum switch valve for ACIS (Acoustic Control Induction System). It's a European spec only code as your LS is. The code is triggered at RPMs over 4,000 if the valve is faulty. Engine performance is affected at higher revs. The valve itself is inexpensive, but replacement requires removal of the intake manifold. I'll post some info that will hopefully help you decide to undertake the DIY repair. You will also need new intake manifold and throttle body gaskets as well. Clean the throttle body too. Good luck!

Last edited by Tom57; 11-22-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 09:26 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Attached info regarding VSV diagnosis and replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430 VSV Diagnosis.pdf (94.9 KB, 4871 views)
File Type: pdf
LS430 VSV R & R.PDF (203.1 KB, 505 views)
Old 11-22-14, 09:35 AM
kentgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Attached info regarding VSV diagnosis and replacement.
Fantastic Tom, thank you for that.
I will have a look through the documents and weather allowed I will try to change it.

Car is going for it's MOT on Monday, hopefully it will pass without problems.

Regarding VSV code is on all the time, so I take it, it is totally messed up.

P.S. just looked the diagrams, and indeed it is an involved job, but it is not that diffucult, I think I will manage

Last edited by kentgs300; 11-22-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 10:53 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kentgs300
Fantastic Tom, thank you for that.
I will have a look through the documents and weather allowed I will try to change it.

Car is going for it's MOT on Monday, hopefully it will pass without problems.

Regarding VSV code is on all the time, so I take it, it is totally messed up.

P.S. just looked the diagrams, and indeed it is an involved job, but it is not that diffucult, I think I will manage
It will not pass MOT with the VSV code.

Quick Reply: Ls430 With Many Codes P1354 And So On...