LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Brake Booster Pushrod Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 06:27 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Brake Booster Pushrod Adjustment?

Since I bought my car several months ago, I've really enjoyed it. But one thing that has been bothering me like mad has been the brakes. There has always been what seems over a inch of play before they even respond. I thought it might be air in the system and also that the brake pads needed replacing so I had it done last week. After doing so the mechanic told me there is no change, and the issue is the master cylinder. Faster forward to today after ordering a new one and I installed it myself. I'm not really mechanical on cars but am trying to learn to save labor costs. I tackled it and got everything done, and the lines bled. However, 0 change. I'm starting to get a little frustrated at this point, but about a hour ago I started reading about the pushrod that goes into my master cylinder.

I'm pretty much convinced this is my problem and makes total sense. If it works I could have saved myself a lot of money just doing that, since my old master cylinder seems to have 0 issues. Does anyone have any tips for the amount to adjust it depending on its current length? I noticed the pushrod was pretty far back in the brake booster, which would make sense why I have so much play. If anyone else has play in the pedals you might want to look at this. It took a while to replace it since it was my first time, so perhaps I'll save this adjustment for another day.