LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430 compared to New Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 07:38 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ls430 compared to New Lexus

So I went to the lexus dealer to test drive the new 2014 GS with my mother. She wants the new GS and I told her to test drive before committing to buy one cheaper out of state. Honestly, I was expecting more from the GS. We test drove a new 2014 GS350 F sport with 264 miles on it, sticker was 58k. It felt as if it was lacking power and can hear the engine as it tried to pick up speed. It had rattles along with wind noise inside as well and much more road noise than my car. There was a slight shaking to the car, it is hard to explain. Maybe we just picked a bad car to test drive, the salesperson let us test drive a non Fsport 2015 GS350 with only 7 miles, I won't lie it was much smoother. Less rattles but still had some rattling and less wind noise. I am not knocking it down, it is a decent car. The new Lexus cars have the direct fuel injection ticking sound which bugged my mother as well, she thoughy something was wrong with motor lol. On the way home I drove my car (2004 LS) without any music, we noticed how my car felt much more solid, quiet, and smooth. BTW I am lowered on tein coils and 20 inch rims with low profile tires. Back to the drawing board for my mom, she doesn't want my car because it is an "old people" car hahah. I think the newer generation Lexus quality has gone down, I've test drove the 2014 ES, RX and now the GS. It is just not up to par with the older models mid 90- mid 2000s. Appreciate your LS430 folks, I dont know what car I am going to get after my LS is retired. Probably another Ls430 That is all.
Old 11-07-14, 07:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You will have to go with the LS460 to stay in the same class really. If you are ready to spend 50 grand on a car find a nice 2012 or 13 460. The LS is the flagship and even in 2004 the 430 was an expensive car. $65,000 in 04 is is $82,000 in 2014 buying power. Kind of interesting.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....004&year2=2014
Old 11-07-14, 08:25 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It doesn't surprise me a GS F-Sport is going to have a lousy ride, even a base GS model is basically Lexus trying to emulate a sporty German sedan like BMW.

Add the F-Sport option and goes even more sporty with a stiffer suspension, larger rims, etc. I wouldn't want one as my daily driver. I remember reading a car enthusiast magazine that normally values handling above everything and even they were saying the F-Sport option on Lexus was just too stiff and loud.

Lexus in my opinion made a big mistake when they started trying to make BMWs. They had a winning formula and a loyal following with cars that were quiet, comfortable, and reliable. They've also "evolved" the LS in the same direction as the GS.

The ES is probably the last model left that's more what Lexus used to be.
Old 11-07-14, 12:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I took a hard look at the GS350 when it was initially released. I liked a lot about the GS350 but in the end I felt it was just too flimsy in construction and feel compared to the 06 LS430. And the mouse driven interface and ergonomics on the GS350 NAV/HVAC screen was so poorly designed and executed.

I too am going to be hard pressed to replace the LS430 with something roughly equivalent that I can actually afford when the time comes.
Old 11-07-14, 01:20 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What would be close to the LS430 feel and ride but in an SUV? LX570?

I am also wondering if there is a mid size car with similar ride qualities of the LS430. I like the Solid feel of the LS, but find it hard to park such a big car sometimes, especially in the city and in tight spaces

Last edited by LSBen; 11-07-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 01:38 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSBen
What would be close to the LS430 feel and ride but in an SUV? LX570?

I am also wondering if there is a mid size car with similar ride qualities of the LS430. I like the Solid feel of the LS, but find it hard to park such a big car sometimes, especially in the city and in tight spaces
No SUV will ride like the LS. larger tires, bulky suspension, high profile does not cut through wind, etc.
My LS with RWD has a very tight turning circle and my kids find it easier to maneuver than an Accord which is FWD.
Have you tested a Buick?
Old 11-07-14, 02:27 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Ahhhhh Buick. The still fall apart quickly.

I would look at maybe the 09 and up 460, Equus or a S Class maybe. Acura RL or maybe an Infinity.
Old 11-07-14, 02:47 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chunkyda
No SUV will ride like the LS. larger tires, bulky suspension, high profile does not cut through wind, etc.
My LS with RWD has a very tight turning circle and my kids find it easier to maneuver than an Accord which is FWD.
Have you tested a Buick?
I haven't test drove any cars in years so I don't know what the current crop of cars feels like. I do like the LS but will probably get something smaller next time around when the wheels fall off. I may have to wait a very long time. 01LS430 w 149k miles silver with chrome factory wheels
Old 11-07-14, 04:50 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I spent some time in a 2013 Equus this week. To me, it was closer in exeution to the 430 than the 460L I previously owned.
Old 11-07-14, 08:55 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

yea its really frustrating isn't it , to realize that we pretty much have the best Lexus has to offer.

I mean I love my car but I wish there was something to look forward too, I even drove an Ls460, it doesn't drive as nice as the 430, at least in my opinion.

Its so bad that ive started test driving other brands, I test drove a 2003 cl600 v12 TT, man what power, what fun , really makes a guy consider making the switch , but the cost of ownership is a big problem for me as im very far from rich.

Im actively looking for a new car , I want a low mileage 07-08 460, but we will see.
Old 11-07-14, 09:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Having had both an LS430 and a new GS350, whenever you compare another Lexus directly to the LS it's going to fall short. Even if it's an older one. The LS is just built to another standard.

Once you're away from the LS for a while the other models are very enjoyable. I love my GS, I enjoy it more than any car I've had, including the LS430 I think. It's a different car, the GS has a lot of the refinement and the solid ride, but it also has a fun side when set to Sport + that the LS doesn't have. It's kind of like two cars in one. You should drive a luxury model.

You can't compare an LS to cheaper Lexus and take it as an example of quality of current cars. Drive a 2015 LS...it's every bit as good as an LS430 and more.

I was thinking about this today, I got an email from Lexus with a lease deal on the LS that made me think I might be able to swing an LS for not much more than I'm paying for the GS. I honestly don't know if I want to though...
Old 11-08-14, 06:27 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Ignoring cost of ownership issues, if I lost my LS this week I'd go look at 2-3 year old Audi A6 or BMW 5, or MB E550. Can't do brand new cars, at a point in my life (close to retiring semi-early). Leasing or consumer car loans are not in consideration.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-08-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-08-14, 02:00 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whenever I drive my LS430, I think "this is the best car I'll ever own".

Even though it's a 2001 base, it's the most spacious, quietest, most trouble-free car I've ever known.

Peace of mind and comfort are exactly the types of luxury I'm interested in. New buicks are as quiet as the LS, but the build quality is significantly lower and they're not packaged well.

If the LS400's longevity is anything to go by, our cars will be around for a while, but they will die someday. And other members of this forum will probably snipe the low milage 05's and 06's as they come up.

I've started looking at cars that might be satisfying replacements. The Accord seems nice, and the Accord with a stick seems killer, but they're so expensive new and used and you'd have to put a few hundred into better brake components pretty quickly. The fit seems like a good bargin, but the short gearing and road noise are frustrating.

The Acura RLX hybrid might be really cool, but Honda has to release it before I can judge it. And every Honda I've ever owned has had a design issue.

The current Lexus sedans don't do it for me. The ES is a bit too small on the inside, the GS has the same problem plus a worse ride. The LS short-wheel-base's back seat is a little too small, and the long wheel base LS is too large of a car.

I think I'm going to drive my LS430 until 2022, and then I'll get a Corolla with the fuel efficiency package, and import a Toyota Century. I can drive the Corolla daily and have the Century for when I have a mighty need for opulence. Flagship Toyotas are what I like in this world.

I do like German cars (who doesn't?) but owning them seems too expensive/unpredictable. There's a dealer called Carmax which offers pretty nice aftermarket warranties. I might buy an interesting German car through them with a warranty. An Audi S6 could be neat.
Old 11-08-14, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by airchomper
The ES is a bit too small on the inside, the GS has the same problem plus a worse ride.
Have you looked at the current ES? Wheelbase is 4 inches longer, its pretty much the same size inside as an LS. Now, the finishes are nowhere near as nice and it doesn't ride nearly as solidly, but I went from being accustomed to the LS to an ES and its doable so long as you aren't comparing the two back to back all the time.

As for the GS, the back seat is considerably smaller...its one of my only big complaints. As for the ride, I was worried about the ride because I'm not a "sporty car" person, but actually on the road I think it rides more like the LS than the ES does. It has a lot of the solidity and vault-like ride of the LS while the ES is soft, but its more like a Buick soft, not as refined a ride as the LS. The GS is more firmly sprung, and you can feel that at low speeds, but once you're moving 30+ MPH it feels glasslike and planted.

A car you might want to try is a new Hyundai Genesis. I just drove one last week and it instantly reminded me of the LS. I haven't driven a refreshed Equus but am planning on it soon.
Old 11-08-14, 07:31 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Have you looked at the current ES? Wheelbase is 4 inches longer, its pretty much the same size inside as an LS. Now, the finishes are nowhere near as nice and it doesn't ride nearly as solidly, but I went from being accustomed to the LS to an ES and its doable so long as you aren't comparing the two back to back all the time.

A car you might want to try is a new Hyundai Genesis. I just drove one last week and it instantly reminded me of the LS. I haven't driven a refreshed Equus but am planning on it soon.
I had the current-gen ES350 for a weekend while replacing my timing belt. The driver's seat was great. But the backseat was no where near as big as the LS430.

Whenever I size up a car, I configure the driver's seat for myself and then sit in the back seat behind my ideal driving position. I'm relatively tall and I figure if I can be comfortable then my passengers will be as well. And if they're not comfortable, then that's their problem.

It's nice that the LS430 is so large though. I'm relatively tall and went to lunch once with a co-worker who's 6'8" and he was able to sit behind me without a problem. Ideally, that would be possible in any car I owned.

The ES350 has less backseat legroom than the Honda Fit, which is actually on par with the LS430 and the LWB LS460.

The LS430 is the back seat king, I think it only has an inch or two less legroom than the LS460 long wheel base.

I drove a friend's GS350 and I loved the engine. The vibration at idle is annoying, but it pulls sooo cleanly after about 4k. I wish Toyota upped the redline to 7k or so. That'd be a neat engine in the LS.

But the milage those 3.5 liter V6s get isn't that much better than our 4.3 liter V8s, especially if you consider the different transmissions. I get about 25 mpg in my 01 LS430, and I only got 28 mpg in the 2014 ES350. And the LS430 has torque for days. I normally don't see the engine go faster than 2k rpm unless I'm doing 65+ on the freeway.

I got to ride in an Equus, it's a nice car to be sure. But Hyundai takes too many mechanical short cuts. I wasn't thrilled with the Equus. And the Genesis is too small. They're nice cars. But Hyundais always feel so compromised. The Equus is 95% of the LS460, but I drive a Lexus because I care about that last 5%. The moment I give up caring about that 5%, I'll just get something that gets the job done - a Corolla or Prius.

I wish someone would try to dominate Lexus like Lexus dominated Mercedes in the 90s. But who would want to spend 12 billion dollars developing that hypothetical car?

Quick Reply: Ls430 compared to New Lexus