LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LSA430: Did Lexus make any changes during course of 2001-2005

Old 11-18-14, 06:19 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
The sealed automatic transmission (using WS fluid) was introduced in the '04 MY.
There were very few and very minor changes between '05 and '06. (I don't have my book right now).

The backup camera is included on Modern Luxury and Custom Luxury as well as Ultra Luxury.
Can you double check on this one?

I recall some people having trouble doing their trans fluid on the '06, trouble doing it themselves because of the way it is sealed. '04, '05 didn't have the same problem.
Old 11-18-14, 09:38 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This page is from the 2005 Owner's Manual. The change to the 6-speed tranny (which uses WS fluid) was made in MY '04, but I don't have its Owner's Manual handy.
This applies at least to US market caras.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
6.3 Service - Chassis = 6-3.pdf (151.8 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Gene01; 11-28-14 at 07:36 PM. Reason: clarify - for US market cars
Old 11-21-14, 08:43 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
This may be somewhat true XJ but really 04 - 06 are the same car. The 04's have a few more issue with audio related problems. Front speakers cones and ML subs. If you find an 04 with low mileage vs an 05 or 06 that is not as nice then take the 04. You are not loosing out on anything.
Exactly i am looking for.. So there is no specific reason to lookout for 2006. may be some 2006 owners can chime in if they noticed any major problems in their 7+ yr ownership.

Thanks
Old 11-25-14, 12:29 PM
jcnova100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the Original Poster. Here's what I am currently considering. I found a reasonably good deal on a 2004 LS430 with only $46K miles. Its from a dealership that has hundreds of 5-start reviews, so they seem quite trustworthy. I also looked at the carfax, and this LS was wonderfully taken care of, with every single recommended maintenance done, 5K miles, 10K, 20K etc., up to 45K.

On the other hand....for only a $3,000 more, I found a 2007 Lexus LS460 with only 48K miles, i.e. the new model. It looks beautiful. The catch is this 2007 Lexus LS460 will have a rebuilt title, but not from collision. Here's what the dealer wrote me:

"This was a low Fresh water flood. It was paid in a claim. Our dealership has been Specializing in buying and selling these type of vehicles For the last 18 years We buy the ones that need very little work. We call them floor floods Even though they have little wrong with them. The insurance company pays out to escape liability
And to avoid nuisance

If water has come into the car on the floor we take the carpets out and do everything necessary, There is very little on the floor of the car so it is easy For our technician to go through them So they never have problem."

What do you guys think - is this a total scam, or could I end up with a great deal on a newer model LS460?

Since I am expecting a bad winter, my one other option is to go AWD with either a certified Acura RL or else an Acura TL that I have found great deals on.
Old 11-25-14, 12:47 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnova100
I'm the Original Poster. Here's what I am currently considering. I found a reasonably good deal on a 2004 LS430 with only $46K miles. Its from a dealership that has hundreds of 5-start reviews, so they seem quite trustworthy. I also looked at the carfax, and this LS was wonderfully taken care of, with every single recommended maintenance done, 5K miles, 10K, 20K etc., up to 45K.

On the other hand....for only a $3,000 more, I found a 2007 Lexus LS460 with only 48K miles, i.e. the new model. It looks beautiful. The catch is this 2007 Lexus LS460 will have a rebuilt title, but not from collision. Here's what the dealer wrote me:

"This was a low Fresh water flood. It was paid in a claim. Our dealership has been Specializing in buying and selling these type of vehicles For the last 18 years We buy the ones that need very little work. We call them floor floods Even though they have little wrong with them. The insurance company pays out to escape liability
And to avoid nuisance

If water has come into the car on the floor we take the carpets out and do everything necessary, There is very little on the floor of the car so it is easy For our technician to go through them So they never have problem."

What do you guys think - is this a total scam, or could I end up with a great deal on a newer model LS460?

Since I am expecting a bad winter, my one other option is to go AWD with either a certified Acura RL or else an Acura TL that I have found great deals on.
If you're thinking at all of taking a chance on a flood-restored vehicle, you'd definitely want to know if it was salt water vs. fresh water (was it in Hurricane Sandy?). Salt water leaves a residue, and forms hydrochloric acid (highly corrosive acid) with the end result being rust from the inside out. Dealer "says" fresh water. Do you believe him?

Last edited by Tom57; 11-25-14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-25-14, 12:59 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would not even consider the flood vehicle if it was $3000 less. Nope. Not a chance.
Old 11-25-14, 07:09 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
This may be somewhat true XJ but really 04 - 06 are the same car. The 04's have a few more issue with audio related problems. Front speakers cones and ML subs. If you find an 04 with low mileage vs an 05 or 06 that is not as nice then take the 04. You are not loosing out on anything.
FYI the 2004 had the most full red circles in consumer reports between the 04,05, and 06 model years. So while all three years are impeccably reliable, I've always considered the 04 as having the slightest advantage.
Old 11-25-14, 09:07 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pamperme
FYI the 2004 had the most full red circles in consumer reports between the 04,05, and 06 model years. So while all three years are impeccably reliable, I've always considered the 04 as having the slightest advantage.
Red full circles?
That makes no sense, if there lyes a difference between the models, the advantage will go to the newer model. Not the other way around.

The '06 introduced the sealed transmission with the World Star fluid. Models before all used T4 oil for their trannys.
Old 11-26-14, 01:53 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

consumer reports loves the LS lexus, but this forum does not. best not to bring that up... owners of '04 say they are best ..owners of 06 think they are best. I have an 05 and swear they are the best. but my 05 was made in august 04 so???
Old 11-26-14, 02:24 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Red full circles?
That makes no sense, if there lyes a difference between the models, the advantage will go to the newer model. Not the other way around.

The '06 introduced the sealed transmission with the World Star fluid. Models before all used T4 oil for their trannys.
CR rates cars using a 5 point scale. A full red circle is the best, a full black circle is the worst. Generally speaking the advantage does go to the newer model, but not always. There are other factors that determine reliability besides the "extra time had to work the bugs out" that newer cars posses. Sometimes, as is the case with the 1999 Nissan Maxima, it's business decisions made that affect reliability and not always for the better. For example, the1999 maxima was the last year of the 4th generation maxima, yet it had ignition coil problems that the 95-98 years did not have. 1999 was the year Renault came into the picture and began their "le cost cutting" fiasco resulting in declining reliability. Subsequent generations fared even worse as Renault's inroads grew. The vq engine used by Nissan was a very remarkable engine, introduced in 1995. Yet despite the impeccable reliability of those engines since it's beginning in 1995, by 2002, Renault/Nissan went with cheaper parts. They chose to use a cheap timing chain tensioner resulting in these engines having an expensive $2000 problem that the older PRE-Renault vq's did not have.

I believe some companies "work the system" and make it a point to try to make the last year of a particular model the most reliable, to fit the expectation those model years afford, while saving money with cheapening newer models allowing the hype to sell it and saving on the cost cutting. Some companies even cheapen their last hear to apply the savings towards the introduction of the next model.
Regarding the LS, all years are stellar, but the fact remains, that if you count the number of red circles the 04 has garnered throughout the years, the 04 has the most. (I have a theory on why this may be the case)
And just so u know, the sealed transmission was introduced in the US in the 2004 model year, not the 2006 as u stated.

Last edited by Pamperme; 11-26-14 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 08:56 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pamperme
CR rates cars using a 5 point scale. A full red circle is the best, a full black circle is the worst. Generally speaking the advantage does go to the newer model, but not always. There are other factors that determine reliability besides the "extra time had to work the bugs out" that newer cars posses. Sometimes, as is the case with the 1999 Nissan Maxima, it's business decisions made that affect reliability and not always for the better. For example, the1999 maxima was the last year of the 4th generation maxima, yet it had ignition coil problems that the 95-98 years did not have. 1999 was the year Renault came into the picture and began their "le cost cutting" fiasco resulting in declining reliability. Subsequent generations fared even worse as Renault's inroads grew. The vq engine used by Nissan was a very remarkable engine, introduced in 1995. Yet despite the impeccable reliability of those engines since it's beginning in 1995, by 2002, Renault/Nissan went with cheaper parts. They chose to use a cheap timing chain tensioner resulting in these engines having an expensive $2000 problem that the older PRE-Renault vq's did not have.

I believe some companies "work the system" and make it a point to try to make the last year of a particular model the most reliable, to fit the expectation those model years afford, while saving money with cheapening newer models allowing the hype to sell it and saving on the cost cutting. Some companies even cheapen their last hear to apply the savings towards the introduction of the next model.
Regarding the LS, all years are stellar, but the fact remains, that if you count the number of red circles the 04 has garnered throughout the years, the 04 has the most. (I have a theory on why this may be the case)
And just so u know, the sealed transmission was introduced in the US in the 2004 model year, not the 2006 as u stated.
And, at the time, the Consumer Reports testers were "wowed" with the new features and options of the first model year (2004) of the then newest generation LS430, especially with all of the media hype surrounding the newest flagship Lexus. That surely influenced their "red circle" ratings.
Old 11-26-14, 09:46 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Again. That is not true. Go out there and look at an 04 or 05. You will find a dipstick for the tranny. But not the 06, its transmission is sealed closed. I speak by experience from owning 5 of these cars.

Also, if the first consumer reports were spot on, second or third won't be the same. People have different expectations every next year. So if they were really excited and stunned by the 04 introduction, the wow factor will decrease year by year. Therefore they will make and see new problems they haven't seen before.

Giving the example of the Maxima is just hilarious. You expect a flagship luxury car to short do it self to gain money for the next project?! I tell you my friend, I wasn't with the CEO's on that day but I assure you that's not how the "Luxury Sedan 430@ was treated. I stand by me idea of it being the best model of all LS's, the 2006.
Old 11-26-14, 10:01 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Also, if the first consumer reports were spot on, second or third won't be the same. People have different expectations every next year. So if they were really excited and stunned by the 04 introduction, the wow factor will decrease year by year. Therefore they will make and see new problems they haven't seen before.
What I stated in post # 26 above.

And if Consumer Reports knew of the transmission problems that the '04 would later reveal, the '04 would not have received "the most full red circles." CR didn't go back and amend their ratings for this problem. Point being, you can't rely on CR's ratings at the time to decide now, 10 years later, which model year was the best. If CR went back and compared all 3 model years together with the benefit of hindsight and ownership experience, history and reliability, only then might you have a more reliable evaluation.

Last edited by Tom57; 11-26-14 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 12:39 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom57
What I stated in post # 26 above. And if Consumer Reports knew of the transmission problems that the '04 would later reveal, the '04 would not have received "the most full red circles." CR didn't go back and amend their ratings for this problem. Point being, you can't rely on CR's ratings at the time to decide now, 10 years later, which model year was the best. If CR went back and compared all 3 model years together with the benefit of hindsight and ownership experience, history and reliability, only then might you have a more reliable evaluation.

+1
Agreed.
You can see that happen in all of the BMW 7 series cars. Every next year changes were done to better the car, from complaints of previous years. That is the example you give when comparing a luxury car. And not a Nissan Maxima.
Old 11-26-14, 12:47 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again. That is not true. Go out there and look at an 04 or 05. You will find a dipstick for the tranny. But not the 06, its transmission is sealed closed. I speak by experience from owning 5 of these cars.
What a bizarre claim to make. The 04-06 LSes all have the same transmission, and it has no dipstick. The 98-03 LSes all have the same transmission, and it has a dipstick.

2003 LS430 transmission parts diagram - notice the dipstick:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2003.html

2004 LS430 transmission parts diagram - notice the lack of a dipstick:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2004.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LSA430: Did Lexus make any changes during course of 2001-2005