LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

thoughts on cars approaching mid 150,000 mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 01:42 PM
ErikK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaleenS7
Jeez.. I had one of my buddies tell me the same thing, almost word for word when I sold my S class Mercedes and purchased a 98' LS400 a couple years ago. Hah.
Sadly, MB's time as world leader in automotive engineering came to an end with Reagans presidency. The W116 was an absolute automotive masterpiece though.
Old 10-29-14, 03:21 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allow me to weight in...so, you spend $600/mo on gas? Thats like 170 gallons = 3400 miles per month?
If that is somewhat accurate, then you will save a lot of money with the Honda. However, remember that the Honda is also going to depreciate each month at a rate higher than the LS430.

Now, I want to point out one very important issue that you may not be considering. With you driving so many miles each month, I would put safety above all else. I have been in some rather serious accidents that were not my fault. The LS400 I was in took the brunt of the force and kept me and a passenger safe. I do not care how many airbags a car has, you just cannot beat the brute design of the LS for keeping you protected. I would much rather be in the LS than the Accord when dealing with an accident. It's hard to put a price on life and limb.
Old 10-29-14, 05:39 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point randal about safety. As a firefighter at a rescue squad I've responded to one too many motor vehicle accidents. From my experience it seems that big heavy 'modern' cars do a great job of reducing injury. Especially from the likes of Mercedes/volvo/bmw/audi. Almost every accord/camry/fusion.sonata accident involved some form of injury. Even worse with the compact cars like the corolla and civic which ankle/leg injuries seem to be the common issue in frontal accidents. Then again on the same token people in full size trucks and SUVs can get injured in some accidents where as the folks in the little car walk away untouched.. However I do very much believe a large 'modern' sedan like the LS430 will do a better job of keep it's occupants safe in real world accidents.

Erikk, I agree. The 126 coupe and sedan was the pinnacle of Mercedes back in the days when engineers were in charge. Nowadays the brand is too diluted with too many bean counters calling the shots.. and not to mention unreliable. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the new W222 though.
Old 11-04-14, 07:25 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Real evaluation after 2 weeks after selling ls430

hi all was hesitant to post this because i am a lover of lexus my ls400 and 430 but wanted to give a real evaluation that is not from motor trend and car and driver. for years i was always said because of my detail with being specific about cars and there attributes and faults i should write for the magazines. with that being said, i thought it was necessary to post this because there seems to be two different ls430 owners, those who own them regardless of cost for the ultimate in cars and history and those who are hesitant to get rid of history i fall in the latter category. i will post the pro and cons without getting granular if anyone wants more detail continue the post and i will chime in because i think you will get the sense that its time based on age and technology to start thinking about long term ownership costs. I also realize from reading the replys about door locks regulators and subwoofer and speak do it your selfers.. thats great and wish i could do that, but always enjoyed finding talented people who are the best and dont pay more than average for repairs..
for the record i bought an ex accord no leather so if your interested read below
Pros, Tracking and handling. wasnt expecting a front drive car to handle like this
Efficiency i am getting 30.6 avg combo city/hwy and can get 38mpg hwy w cruise at 78 mph
technology: not impressed over the top with it but having new tech bluetooth integrated and the newer interface with audio/bluetooth pandora , usb port has made a difference
Crusiing at high speeds without gas mileage penalty. my ls with the 5 speed automatic would decrease 10% from 67mph to 75 or 80 its nice not to have a penalty to travel at higher speeds
kick downs for power, not comparison of our v8 how amazing it was but i was hesitant to really use it because of conesequences of mpg can get on new car without an issue and its fun
cvt: surprised honda has done a remarkable job with this powertrain, no ls430 with a 4 cyl but amazing even smooth in econ mode off the line
Newness: nice to smell a new car, new leather on armrests new interfface I missed that with the ls
Long term support in seat a plus but i put seats as a con but they do support the body better
Safety: i wont dwell on this i saw the ridiculous post about safety.. our ls was designed in late nineties, there is no comparison in high steel strength especially in a pillars with newer cars that are exceeding expectations in offset crash test, yes if you get barrelled in from behind with a large car you will be more protected, but research for yourself and choose based on real tests
again no substitute for larger cars
Cons
the ride of our ls if you want that rwd drive and minimal feeling of road choose another car not the accord
comfort with seat, i miss a little the seat in my ls even with cushion worn but long trips are better w accord
v8 miss that under foot but the first part of post with mpg and efficience is more important
headlights are better on ls
transmission smoother with our 5 and 6 speeds even though the cvt was remarkable
allure of lexus and how its respected, even when were discreet the lexus badge is the best
hope you enjoyed the post , but going back to original post i have cut my expenses including insurance down by 350 / month and can use regular unleaded with having fun in the new vehicle .. enjoy your ls its the best every created but keep an open mind and if you decide to switch to another vehicle stick to the high end model including leather and options...
cheers thanks for the fun times on the board
Old 11-04-14, 07:33 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
hi all was hesitant to post this because i am a lover of lexus my ls400 and 430 but wanted to give a real evaluation that is not from motor trend and car and driver. for years i was always said because of my detail with being specific about cars and there attributes and faults i should write for the magazines. with that being said, i thought it was necessary to post this because there seems to be two different ls430 owners, those who own them regardless of cost for the ultimate in cars and history and those who are hesitant to get rid of history i fall in the latter category. i will post the pro and cons without getting granular if anyone wants more detail continue the post and i will chime in because i think you will get the sense that its time based on age and technology to start thinking about long term ownership costs. I also realize from reading the replys about door locks regulators and subwoofer and speak do it your selfers.. thats great and wish i could do that, but always enjoyed finding talented people who are the best and dont pay more than average for repairs..
for the record i bought an ex accord no leather so if your interested read below
Pros, Tracking and handling. wasnt expecting a front drive car to handle like this
Efficiency i am getting 30.6 avg combo city/hwy and can get 38mpg hwy w cruise at 78 mph
technology: not impressed over the top with it but having new tech bluetooth integrated and the newer interface with audio/bluetooth pandora , usb port has made a difference
Crusiing at high speeds without gas mileage penalty. my ls with the 5 speed automatic would decrease 10% from 67mph to 75 or 80 its nice not to have a penalty to travel at higher speeds
kick downs for power, not comparison of our v8 how amazing it was but i was hesitant to really use it because of conesequences of mpg can get on new car without an issue and its fun
cvt: surprised honda has done a remarkable job with this powertrain, no ls430 with a 4 cyl but amazing even smooth in econ mode off the line
Newness: nice to smell a new car, new leather on armrests new interfface I missed that with the ls
Long term support in seat a plus but i put seats as a con but they do support the body better
Safety: i wont dwell on this i saw the ridiculous post about safety.. our ls was designed in late nineties, there is no comparison in high steel strength especially in a pillars with newer cars that are exceeding expectations in offset crash test, yes if you get barrelled in from behind with a large car you will be more protected, but research for yourself and choose based on real tests
again no substitute for larger cars
Cons
the ride of our ls if you want that rwd drive and minimal feeling of road choose another car not the accord
comfort with seat, i miss a little the seat in my ls even with cushion worn but long trips are better w accord
v8 miss that under foot but the first part of post with mpg and efficience is more important
headlights are better on ls
transmission smoother with our 5 and 6 speeds even though the cvt was remarkable
allure of lexus and how its respected, even when were discreet the lexus badge is the best
hope you enjoyed the post , but going back to original post i have cut my expenses including insurance down by 350 / month and can use regular unleaded with having fun in the new vehicle .. enjoy your ls its the best every created but keep an open mind and if you decide to switch to another vehicle stick to the high end model including leather and options...
cheers thanks for the fun times on the board
Don't quit your day job.
Old 11-04-14, 12:15 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

agreed day job is getting old, since all of us talk as if our cars will last 500,000 miles with routine maintanence i think its time someone was honest that materials, and best build cars ever will still have mechanical issues due to law of physics, it doesnt have to be an accord, could be an es300 hyrbrid whatever a vehicle does to meet the needs. in my case if you buy a car for 5k off list price for 20,900 get 7000 for your ls and have a new car with the pros and cons i listed, i am comfortable with 0.9% financing and couple grand of depreciation as opposed to a surprise every couple of months
peace and happiness to all
Old 11-11-14, 09:56 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I read through all the posts and I don't mean to come off like a jerk but I don't know where the $300 + savings is coming from. Maybe I'm missing something. Also this inst a knock on your decision at all, I'm just trying to see how you came to your decision using the math. If it costs you $600 a month to drive a car getting 20 MPG that's about 185 gallons of gas at $3.25 a gallon. that would calculate to about 3,700 miles a month. $3,700 miles divided by 30 mpg which you're averaging in the Honda times $3.00 comes to $370. Add the $225 a month car payment and its a wash.

You drive what you like and makes sense to you and it you're happy that all that matters but the numbers just didn't add up. Whats done is done but lets talk hypothetical here. According to your monthly gas costs you drive about 45,000 miles a year. So in two years the Honda will have 90,000 miles on it. Right now a 2012 EX with 90,000 miles on it has a value of about $12,000 on KBB. Much less than your $2K depreciation a year. Also with that many miles, your out of pocket expense start to kick in as the warranty is more than over.

You cant maintain a car to last forever but I plan to get at least 300,000 out of mine. I do my own work so it costs me a fraction of having someone else maintain it. For me it makes much more sense to keep my 2002 LS430 for as long as I can. Its got about 191,000 miles on it, the interior and exterior are practically like new, every bell and whistle works as it should and it drives and handles like its new. No one believes me when I tell them its a 2002 when they ride in it. I haven't had many of the issues you listed at all.

Good luck with your Honda. I'm sure it will be around for many miles to come.
Old 11-11-14, 11:59 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

brewmyown, let me add some clarity
i outlined a list of about $4000 of work that my car needed. I owned the vehicle out right. I was not in the mood to replace, my battery, tires, valve cover gaskets, water pump, window regualtors, and door locks, i am not a mechanic and cant do it myself. secondly after i started replacing all this stuff i wasnt in the mood for a starter to go for 1000 or any hidden surprises. I bought the accord and its interestings, its better than the ls in driving comfort i am surpised about that, tracks better than my ls, is fairly smooth w cvt not near our ls, handles better, corners better, and i am getting 30.8 mpg combined, 39 highway at 75-80 and cut my gas bill by 300 month. the car does drive like a fwd car and miss my ls ride but its a give and take. i walk up to my car with comfort access doors open by touching door handle, have a trunk release that shocks not broke, not squeaks and dont have a fear of ball joints and upper control arms are 20000 miles away.. lastly someone needs to show me how the ls would do in the new frontal offset crash if the old ls does better than the new accord i will double the price of your ls and buy it from the owner... nothings perfect in decisions, but warranty peace of mind new tires, and oh forgot the braking is probably 30 % better in city driving than my ls with new rotors and pads that were half worn..
ill emphasize i miss my ls but got 7100 for it bought the accord ex for 209000 and am financing 14500 with 0.9 percent financing, now that you have all the facts wish me 24 months of good with the car,
i still miss my ls but the time was right.. lastly please enough replys with my ls doesnt have the issues i outlined if mine didnt i would be driving it today for another 40000 miles.. and my original post didnt mention had great a/c best of any car i ever had, the servo motor was shot and had a paper clip noise for two years every ten minutes drove me nuts.
peace and love
Old 11-11-14, 12:11 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default and the math

makes sense its not about just mileage at 3k a month
buying regular unleaded for 15% less than premium.. that has made a huge difference, couldnt use regular in mine it was pinging probably due to the ecm issue with the vvti warning code that caused me to look at a new car a new ecm is 1600 plus install
cheers
Old 11-11-14, 12:32 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Wasn't passing judgement or telling you you made a wrong decision. It was the math that wasn't adding up to me. If my car had all those issues, it would skew my judgement also. If it makes sense to you that's all that matters. It makes a world of difference in the car you can afford to own and how long you can afford to own it when you do the work yourself. I will never buy another new car and take on payments. There are many things on a car you own outright that you can wait to replace when you can afford to do so. Not so much with a car payment.

Wishing you luck with your Honda for many miles to come. Sounds like you're enjoying it.
Old 11-12-14, 05:56 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
Wasn't passing judgement or telling you you made a wrong decision. It was the math that wasn't adding up to me. If my car had all those issues, it would skew my judgement also. If it makes sense to you that's all that matters. It makes a world of difference in the car you can afford to own and how long you can afford to own it when you do the work yourself. I will never buy another new car and take on payments. There are many things on a car you own outright that you can wait to replace when you can afford to do so. Not so much with a car payment.

Wishing you luck with your Honda for many miles to come. Sounds like you're enjoying it.
See bold highlighted part

That's a really good point.
Old 11-13-14, 05:02 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Honda had a myriad of problems with their transmissions in the early mid 2000's maybe even a class action suit. I hoped they cleaned up their act.
Old 11-13-14, 07:33 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

The transmission issue lasted several years and involved numerous models but supposedly it was cleaned up around 2008 or so.
Old 11-13-14, 10:11 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default cvt transmission helps

car achieve 39mpg highway at 70 i like the tranny
round trip city/highway 30.5 on regular unleaded
no tranny issues in 2015
Old 11-13-14, 12:46 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
agreed day job is getting old, since all of us talk as if our cars will last 500,000 miles with routine maintanence i think its time someone was honest that materials, and best build cars ever will still have mechanical issues due to law of physics, it doesnt have to be an accord, could be an es300 hyrbrid whatever a vehicle does to meet the needs. in my case if you buy a car for 5k off list price for 20,900 get 7000 for your ls and have a new car with the pros and cons i listed, i am comfortable with 0.9% financing and couple grand of depreciation as opposed to a surprise every couple of months
peace and happiness to all
I agree... Honda makes a very reliable car and will last a decade or more if you maintain it. Enjoy...

Quick Reply: thoughts on cars approaching mid 150,000 mileage