LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

thoughts on cars approaching mid 150,000 mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 01:56 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I went down your list with the issues on my 05 LS430. I'd say I have had fewer issues than the OP and I hope to keep mine for about 3 more years. I will do what it takes to avoid a car payment and depreciation that comes with owning something newer. This car still rides better than anything I can afford and at 22.5 mpg I'd need to go really small to have a measurable fuel savings.

Nope: speakers blown with radio
Nope: window seals squeaking
Nope: rear window seal falling off back window
Nope: ECM fault vsc light on lexus said could be ecm coming home
Nope: 550 / month in gas premium (I use regular gas)
Nope: blown sub woofer shaking speakers with volume
Nope: valve cover gaskets 800/repair
Nope: water pump never changed with timing belt needs to be done
Yes: spark plugs needed in 30k
Nope: driver seat cushion need replacing
Yes: arm rest leather worn
Nope: right window regulator gone 600 repair
Partial: power door locks don’t work 400/600 repair (I fixed for $5 motor)
Partial: trunk shocks blown hood fell on head 10 times (I fixed for $41.40)
Yes: original suspension parts creaking from upper control arm (I replaced some parts)
Nope: power steering pump squealing. lexus said just a matter of time
Nope: right headlight had failure happened twice over year
Yes: turned steering tilt auto off due to creaking
Yes: I'm monitoring a transmission pan leak, might need to fix
Yes: routine maintenance
Old 10-27-14, 02:16 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish i had all the nopes but i dont
doubt your vehicle has a150k on it and all the nopes wont turn into a yup.
Old 10-27-14, 02:18 PM
jasonson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i sold my 1998 gs400 and bought a new 09 accord and i quickly realized i make a big mistake.the accord is the most boring gutless car i ever owned.it took me over a year to sell it even at a large discount.finally sold it and got my 06 ls.i wouldnt trade my ls for 2 accords.i hope it works out for you.

I can second this about Hondas. I'm "stuck" (obviously could be wayyyy worse) in a loaded Civic EX while hunting for a 430 and can say without a doubt: It is the most boring, sterile, soul-less car I've ever driven. But, it's reliable and payed off, so that's why I'm still driving it.

Good thread though, I just wonder if the Accord has gained any soul vs. my Civic. I also have a 20 mile round trip commute, so gas prices aren't an issue. If I were spending $500 on gas per month, I'm sure I would be looking at a Tesla.

Good luck and I hope you get the car that fits your needs LS430lover...
Old 10-27-14, 02:43 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
wish i had all the nopes but i dont
doubt your vehicle has a150k on it and all the nopes wont turn into a yup.
I just rolled 179,000. Just lucky I guess. Bought it used in '09 with 65,000 miles out of the Miami FL auction and I checked the VIN over the phone with the Mobile AL dealer which is the closest to me (2 hour drive). I think the key is moderate driving practices and routine maintenance.
There is a reason the LS has a big red circle in Consumer Reports reliability, it is much better than average and holds up well.
Old 10-28-14, 11:43 AM
Y2K
Driver School Candidate

I sold my 99 GS 300 at 155,000 miles for 5k and bought a new 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 for 25k. The Lexus had turned into a money pit even though it had been dealer serviced its whole life.

I still have the Honda and it has been a great trouble free car. The V6 makes all the difference. I burn 87 Octane and have the car serviced at a Honda dealer instead of a Lexus dealer with the resulting savings.

It's not a new Lexus but neither was the 99 GS when I sold it. If you can afford a new Lexus then no comparison. If the choice is a 150k+ car or a new top of the line Accord then an Accord, particularly the new 2015 model with all the bells and whistles and V6 power is something to think about.
Old 10-28-14, 12:26 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

thanks for the input i did some soul searching last night and its really about economics and the 300 savings in gas will pay for the new car payments and have 50 left over. also someone mentioned insurance my rate will down 8 /month for the accord.. not a apple to apple comparison with my ls430 but its time
thank you
Old 10-28-14, 12:29 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

the v-6 is great but i test drove the cvt 4 not a ls 430 v8 but with cruise at 75 got 38 mpg.
the v6 has cylinder deactivation great motor and technology, still think the v8 in the ls top ten of all time.
with the ecm fault in my computer it showed a vvti issue and my car was detonating when i accelerated fast so another issue that concerned me
Old 10-28-14, 12:46 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're thinking too much about the money and price. I see that being a transformation from a market to a different one.

You're no longer in the VIP luxury car segment. Because that's what those cars do to you, the eat your money from one side and give you something else in exchange.
I understand the pursuit of finding the "best" luxurious car amongst it's competitors.

So again, a Prius is no challenge for the LS430 as a WHOLE car in general, but it does beat it at some aspects.
So if you emphasize any one of those aspects, you will be heading towards a different market.
Old 10-28-14, 02:25 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can attest to the virtues of both the LS430 and Prius. I bought my used 2005 LS w/ 130k miles, in January. It an UL; has all the bells and whistles and I've maintained it to top shape. I average around 22 mpg on it. I don't VIP it and have put on 16 inch wheels and tires for ultimate driving comfort.

I acquired a 2005 Prius, "loaded" with 110k miles, in June due to an extremely long commute. The prius is a different animal. MPG is king with that vehicle. I avg 53-56 mpg on mostly highway driving.

The serenity and comfort of the LS is without a doubt supreme. I feel a more solid presence on the road. Not being buffeted by strong winds or passing cars when stopped at a red light. Not being unnoticed by other cars on the highway. The quietness, the adaptive cruise control, the comfort.

However, the prius is a mpg king. paired with LRR tires and a easy "hybrid" driving technique, the mileage is a true impressive achievement. However, the noise and comfort cannot be even int he same league as the LS. There are different priorities when I drive my prius. I use it for purely commuting and short in-town trips. The car seems to sound like it strains when climbing mountains/hills or accelerating at a fast pace as should be expected. Its purpose is different. The LS is so smooth, the acceleration so smooth and quiet you need to watch the speedometer. No noticeable effort on that beast. My friends have commented on the luxury of the ride and comfort after a long trip. There wasn't another car ride that had been better in their mind after a 600 mile trip.

For the best car experience, I find it hard to beat an LS430. the only negative is the gas mileage. however, it gets the best mpg for a car in its class size/classification. my acura tl is lighter, more sporty, a v-6 and gets the same mpg. an impressive engineering achievement.

i can appreciate the difficulty of switching cars. For me, if traveling long distances alone I will likely opt for the prius unless ding cross-country, For additional travelers, I lean with the LS430. best of luck with your chosen direction of travel vehicles.
Old 10-28-14, 03:01 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I own an 03 LS430 UL bought new. Has 90K miles on it and has NEVER had any issue requiring a shop to do work on it (knock, knock). My wife drives it and she drives it easy. That car can return 26-28mpg on the highway and averages more like 22-24 in overall driving. The best car I've ever owned, all-in-all. Also own a 2011 Subaru Forester which I drive to and from work and most other daily errands. Gets about 31mpg (2.5litre engine / 5spd manual trans). I like the car alot but it's a different animal than the LS. It (and every Honda I've ever owned/driven) is an absolute TIN CAN compared to the LS. I don't mind because I expect that for the price I paid and the type of vehicle it is. Different tool for different purposes. We use the Subaru for backcountry hiking/camping/skiing/photography trips. The LS would suck for that purpose. The Honda is a perfectly good choice for what you want. Rest easy with that purchase.
Old 10-28-14, 06:57 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with an accord. It's in a different category, but it's one of the top rated cars out there.

Originally Posted by Y2K
If the choice is a 150k+ car or a new top of the line Accord then an Accord, particularly the new 2015 model.
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I can list so many reasons why even a used 04' LS makes more sense than any brand new car. To me, the 2015 EX-L Accord is a downgrade from my eleven year old 150k+ mile LS430. The cars are in a totally different class so to someone else the accord will be superior. In my case the LS makes more sense, especially for the money.

Ask the same question on a honda forum and you'll get way different responses I'm sure.
Old 10-28-14, 08:34 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're getting 20 mpg in a LS, you won't see 38 in an Accord. You'll probably see 29-33 mpg.

But that's neither here nor there.

I don't think anyone here says that the LS430 is a perfect car. It's just one of the best values out there.

Most of the problems on your car are (lack of) maintenance issues that are manifesting themselves now. Power steering pumps need fresh fluid. You should have got a new water pump with your timing belt.

You can replace the trunk struts in about 15 minutes with a screw driver for $30 of parts.

There's write ups for fixing the locks, subwoofer, and a few other of your problems. A conscientious DIY'er could do this all in a few hours on a weekend. And if you're too busy to fix it, then your time should be valuable enough to pay someone else.

I don't get why your repair prices are so high in Cali? Good Toyota mechanics are a dime a dozen. I don't mean to sound prejudiced, but find a hard working Mexican dude whose wife drives a Toyota. Every single mechanic who fits that bill will probably do excellent work for a real good price. You could get spark plugs, valve covers, and your suspension diagnosed for $400 + parts tops. If you check Amazon/Ebay, you can find OEM parts for dirt cheap. NGK iridum plugs are $8/each on Amazon for instance. I changed the plugs in my drive way in about 2 CD's.

But for what I just outlined, you'd have a mechanically sound LS430. Your car made it 150k with only these few problems. You could probably get another 150k on a timing belt service and fresh fluids.

Personally, I know that I spend about 1/3 the time fixing my LS as my last two Hondas and the LS goes way longer between fixxing. I've had my car for 11 months now and the only failure that's happened on my watch is one brake light. The LS430 is actually pretty easy to work on, and it's pretty durable. If you take the time to fix something, it's going to be worth your effort.

Hour for hour and dollar for dollar, no car treats you better than an LS. I guarantee you'll be in the dealer within 30k miles on the Accord. And if you hit 150k miles on the Accord, I guarantee you'll spend more on it than you'd spend on the LS430 if you put some TLC in it right now.
Old 10-28-14, 09:24 PM
ErikK
Driver School Candidate

To the OP...

Your math does not make sense.

First thing, you are not calculating the actually cost of your payment. You have to add the value of your current car to it, to make it apples to apples. So it is not as cheap as you think. I think you are also underestimating the depreciation on your new car. Figure you will lose $5000 as soon as you drive off the lot. Thats a safe place to start. I don't know how many miles a year you are driving, but I don't believe that you will have the kind of gas savings in the real world that you think. Figure you will likely get, at best, 8-10 mpg better mileage on the Accord. You are also giving up safety. Regardless of how the Accord may do in the (somewhat unlikely) small overlap crash test, you are giving up 800 pounds of weight that is crucial in a crash situation.

On top of all of that, you are getting a whole lot less car.

I'm running similar numbers myself, and I came up with the opposite decision.

It is always cheaper to drive an inferior car, regardless of what two cars we are comparing. You are swapping one of the all-time greatest luxury cars, and one of the all time greatest cars period, for a soulless transportation appliance. If you are good with that decision, then more power to you.
Old 10-28-14, 09:25 PM
ErikK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airchomper
If you're getting 20 mpg in a LS, you won't see 38 in an Accord. You'll probably see 29-33 mpg.

But that's neither here nor there.

I don't think anyone here says that the LS430 is a perfect car. It's just one of the best values out there.

Most of the problems on your car are (lack of) maintenance issues that are manifesting themselves now. Power steering pumps need fresh fluid. You should have got a new water pump with your timing belt.

You can replace the trunk struts in about 15 minutes with a screw driver for $30 of parts.

There's write ups for fixing the locks, subwoofer, and a few other of your problems. A conscientious DIY'er could do this all in a few hours on a weekend. And if you're too busy to fix it, then your time should be valuable enough to pay someone else.

I don't get why your repair prices are so high in Cali? Good Toyota mechanics are a dime a dozen. I don't mean to sound prejudiced, but find a hard working Mexican dude whose wife drives a Toyota. Every single mechanic who fits that bill will probably do excellent work for a real good price. You could get spark plugs, valve covers, and your suspension diagnosed for $400 + parts tops. If you check Amazon/Ebay, you can find OEM parts for dirt cheap. NGK iridum plugs are $8/each on Amazon for instance. I changed the plugs in my drive way in about 2 CD's.

But for what I just outlined, you'd have a mechanically sound LS430. Your car made it 150k with only these few problems. You could probably get another 150k on a timing belt service and fresh fluids.

Personally, I know that I spend about 1/3 the time fixing my LS as my last two Hondas and the LS goes way longer between fixxing. I've had my car for 11 months now and the only failure that's happened on my watch is one brake light. The LS430 is actually pretty easy to work on, and it's pretty durable. If you take the time to fix something, it's going to be worth your effort.

Hour for hour and dollar for dollar, no car treats you better than an LS. I guarantee you'll be in the dealer within 30k miles on the Accord. And if you hit 150k miles on the Accord, I guarantee you'll spend more on it than you'd spend on the LS430 if you put some TLC in it right now.
Great post!
Old 10-28-14, 11:02 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ErikK
You are swapping one of the all-time greatest luxury cars, and one of the all time greatest cars period, for a soulless transportation appliance. If you are good with that decision, then more power to you.
Jeez.. I had one of my buddies tell me the same thing, almost word for word when I sold my S class Mercedes and purchased a 98' LS400 a couple years ago. Hah.

Quick Reply: thoughts on cars approaching mid 150,000 mileage