LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2 Things that changed the drivability of my '04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 05:25 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

The little tube of Shin Etsu cost me $27 at a Honda dealer .... I used it to try eliminate a squeek I thought was was driver side window rubbing on the rubber weather stripping. It didn't help with the squeek but helped maybe a tiny little bit to quiet the wind noise on the highway.

I kept looking and finally decided to pry the plastic molding that surrounds the window on the inside of the car away from the glass and then put a bit of foam weather stripping inside and .... it worked, the squeek is gone.
After I wiped the stuff on all the rubber seals. Not sure if it did anything, but it can't hurt.
Old 11-05-14, 12:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Shin Etsu is one of the best products for conditioning weather stripping. It won't get rid of squeaks or noises that are obviously not coming the from the strips themselves but your weather stripping will thank you. It helps prevent dry rot and leaks as well as reduce wind noise. This is especially important for the seals on the trunk. Start leaking water in the trunk and say goodbye to your $1400 ML amplifier.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-05-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 03:05 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
The little tube of Shin Etsu cost me $27 at a Honda dealer .... I used it to try eliminate a squeek I thought was was driver side window rubbing on the rubber weather stripping. It didn't help with the squeek but helped maybe a tiny little bit to quiet the wind noise on the highway.

I kept looking and finally decided to pry the plastic molding that surrounds the window on the inside of the car away from the glass and then put a bit of foam weather stripping inside and .... it worked, the squeek is gone.
After I wiped the stuff on all the rubber seals. Not sure if it did anything, but it can't hurt.
Hi Stu, where do you get the plastic strip moulding from and can you post pictures? Thanks
Old 11-05-14, 04:24 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

at what mileage did you do the tranny fluid change
Old 11-05-14, 06:46 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex223
The Shin Etsu grease has this thing as quiet as a coffin now.
For your sake, I hope this is not a prophetic quote.
Old 11-05-14, 06:52 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I got this car from my sister with 143,000 miles. I know she never had the trans service performed.

I had the service done at 150,000 miles. The first service advisor at Lexus didn't recommend getting it done. WTF?

The service advisor that I now use made no mention of "not doing it on a car w/ that kind of miles/age".
150k miles
Old 11-06-14, 02:33 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LSBen
Hi Stu, where do you get the plastic strip moulding from and can you post pictures? Thanks
I used plain old basic weather stripping that's available at every hardware store.
Old 11-11-16, 10:10 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Best place I have found to buy Shin Etzu is your local Honda dealer. I think it is about 12 to 13 dollars. They may have to order it, it only takes a few days. I usually call first, they order it and I pick it up a few days later. Same tube at BMW dealer is $45 (according to my friend).
Parts guy at the local Honda dealer had no idea what Shin Etzu was. Bought it on Amazon. Works well
Old 11-11-16, 10:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I had the service done at 150,000 miles. The first service advisor at Lexus didn't recommend getting it done. WTF?
".
While I find service advisors at Lexus to be over the top in friendliness/courtesy (I witnessed a very attractive one holding hands with a customer, which to me implied they had a good relationship), I would wonder if they are any more technical than say a BMW service advisor? I have dealt with many over the years and they are quite inept. They use words and talk about things they know nothing about.

So anyway, I'm no expert and have had very few auto trannies in my driving career, but am reluctant to let anyone mess with the tranny fluid. I know that fluids cannot last a lifetime, but it would seem the unit is quite sealed for a reason. I can say the gear oil in my Maxima (stick) was only changed at 60k, which implies it has gone 185k on the current oil.....

It is very hard to separate fact from wives tales sometimes, as vehicles have progressed...there definitely was a camp when I was < 10 y.o. who said never change auto tranny fluid or the tranny could be ruined. But that was a long time ago....
Old 11-11-16, 10:48 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

The 2 things that I've recently done to my '04 LS430 made such a huge difference in the car's drivability. I can't remark enough as to how much difference it made.

I was almost thinking about dumping the LS due to how clunky the trans was shifting.

1. Had the dealer do the transmission service. $170 for the fluid change.
2. I Conditioned all rubber seals/weather stripping with Honda's Shin Etsu grease.

When I got the car from my sister recently, the trans was a little rough on transition from Reverse to Drive and at low speed during turns. I had the dealer perform the TSB update. It helped a little.
Having the fluid changed made all the difference though.

The door seals were squeaking (rubber on metal) when I would go over rough road, etc. The Shin Etsu grease has this thing as quiet as a coffin now.

Just my opinion...
When I bought my 04, immediately noticed the roughness shifting from Reverse to Drive. Sometimes slightly rough shifting up thru gears (depending on rpm). The TSB helped slightly. The 2 drain/fills made a big difference. Now "Lexus smooth".
Old 11-18-16, 11:03 AM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like drain/fill works better than the transmission software update. I get the hard shifting between reverse and drive sometimes so that may be the solution.
Old 11-18-16, 02:37 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by randal
For your sake, I hope this is not a prophetic quote.
LOL. I've always thought it was a depressing way to say super quiet. How about "as quiet as a Bentley" or "the quietest car ever made" or "Lexus quiet"?
Old 11-18-16, 02:59 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by greg s
It sounds like drain/fill works better than the transmission software update. I get the hard shifting between reverse and drive sometimes so that may be the solution.
Per my post, I did a D/F& TSB (by an indie) at 102 and then a another D/F (by dealer) at 103. Suggest finding someone that uses a temperature gauge. My 04 now shifts "Lexus smooth" and no drive/reverse clunk. I can't hear or feel the first couple of shifts under moderate acceleration.
Old 11-18-16, 03:14 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Shin Etsu is one of the best products for conditioning weather stripping. It won't get rid of squeaks or noises that are obviously not coming the from the strips themselves but your weather stripping will thank you. It helps prevent dry rot and leaks as well as reduce wind noise. This is especially important for the seals on the trunk. Start leaking water in the trunk and say goodbye to your $1400 ML amplifier.
One reason I decided to buy my 04 is that dealer had replaced that 1,400 ML amp less than 5k miles ago. I did use the Shin Etsu and it is an excellent solution. Can also get some conversational mileage out of the name. "Oh yeah I bought some Shin Etsu the other day. Hard to get but it works very well"