LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Alarm Problem

Old 10-23-14, 10:33 AM
Ron10346
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm Problem

While dealing with the ongoing saga of my prior post - LS430 – Dealer wants to replace main computer…Another problem had presented itself since getting the car back from the dealer; the car alarm keeps going off for various reasons. In all the years we have owned the car, I only remember the alarm sounding once… aside from that I forgot we even had an alarm.

Anyway… Here are the scenarios that have caused the alarm / horn to sound and lights flash. All occasions occur after the car had been sitting for a period of time with the doors unlocked:
• Parked in the garage, returned hours later and opened unlocked door “with or without” key in
hand… Alarm went off, pushed unlock button on key and it went off.
• Parked in the garage, had key in hand and pushed button on truck lid to open, alarm went off.
• Parked in garage and after several minutes I heard the car chirp and saw the lights flash as
though I had pushed the key actuator button to lock it. I didn’t even have the key on me.

At this point I thought maybe the car was setting the alarm each time and I just wasn’t there to hear the chirp and see the lights flash. So, I looked in the driver’s window and saw that only the red light was flashing left of the steering wheel and assumed this meant the car was locked and alarm set. I pushed the unlock button, saw the green light come on and opened the door, no problem.
• So again, parked in garage, came back an hour later and saw red light flashing, green light was off. I pushed the unlock button on key, car chirped, green light came on and I opened the door no problem.
• Now I thought I had this figured out to some degree but then… The wife came home and parked in the garage. Within minutes of her parking I was preparing to take a picture of the engine compartment for my other forum issue. With key in hand I looked through the driver’s window and saw both the red and green lights flashing so I opened the door, no problem… But then I pulled the hood release and the alarm activated again.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Have a solution? I have looked in the owner’s manual but can’t find anything about an alarm? Suspect I am missing something obvious and will continue to read through the fine print in the meantime… Thanks.