Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Radiator overflow tank coolant very low.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-14, 05:57 AM   #1
Jabberwock
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Jabberwock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,652
Default Radiator overflow tank coolant very low.

Just a heads up for folks that do most of their own basic maintenance on a DIY basis. This morning I checked my radiator coolant level and the coolant level in the radiator overflow tank. I had not checked it in over two years, mostly because the overflow tank is not visible because it is hidden under the air cleaner intake assembly that is on top of the radiator. The fluid in the overflow tank was low enough that it took approx 24 ounces of coolant to refill it to full level. I suggest that because the overflow tank is not visible on the LS430 that folks try to remember to check overflow tank more regularly than every 2-3 years.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
2006 LS 430 Black Cherry w/cashmere interior. Premium Package. Lexus OEM power-point storage kit to replace console ashtray, Rear Sports option sway bar, Soundgate TOYPD2 Ipod adapter.
2007 Toyota Highlander Limited
2011 Mazda3

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-18-14 at 08:12 AM..
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-14, 10:05 AM   #2
XJSFan
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
XJSFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 224
Default

I actually just checked mine a few weeks ago and just added a little distilled water to bring it up to full.
XJSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-14, 01:32 PM   #3
Bocatrip
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,055
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Just a heads up for folks that do most of their own basic maintenance on a DIY basis. This morning I checked my radiator coolant level and the coolant level in the radiator overflow tank. I had not checked it in over two years, mostly because the overflow tank is not visible because it is hidden under the air cleaner intake assembly that is on top of the radiator. The fluid in the overflow tank was low enough that it took approx 24 ounces of coolant to refill it to full level. I suggest that because the overflow tank is not visible on the LS430 that folks try to remember to check overflow tank more regularly than every 2-3 years.
I started a thread on this very subject a number of years ago. It seems that the reservoir does lose coolant over some time. If you look at the outside of the reservoir you may notice some white staining which is actually the coolant. A Lexus tech explained to me how the reservoir tank does lose coolant. I add about 6-8 ounces every 2 years of the red coolant and 50% distilled water.
__________________
Currently Own:
2001 Lexus LS430 Millenium Silver/Nav/ML
2010 Jaguar XK Coupe Liquid Silver
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe - purchased new. (sold)
Bocatrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-14, 08:29 PM   #4
Zodiac
Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocatrip View Post
I started a thread on this very subject a number of years ago. It seems that the reservoir does lose coolant over some time. If you look at the outside of the reservoir you may notice some white staining which is actually the coolant. A Lexus tech explained to me how the reservoir tank does lose coolant. I add about 6-8 ounces every 2 years of the red coolant and 50% distilled water.
Thanks for the info. I always noticed white residual on the overflow tank hose and thought I have a leak since the overflow tank lose coolant over time.
__________________
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 01:12 AM   #5
tHeKiNg911
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
tHeKiNg911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OR
Posts: 221
Omar Aziz omar0aziz
Send a message via MSN to tHeKiNg911
Default

Thanks for the heads up Jabber.
__________________
Following the "Pursuit of Perfection"
tHeKiNg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-14, 08:02 PM   #6
Gene01
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 730
Default

This is from memory, so could be wrong.
I thought that the LS430 specified pink coolant (at least for the 04-06) rather than red.
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 08:36 AM   #7
jayclapp
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
jayclapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,529
Default

Thanks for the heads up, as I usually depend on the dealer to check everything when I have the oil changed. Found my coolant tank dry. Will purchase coolant and attachment plugs for the air inlet cover over the radiator that has to be removed to access the coolant tank today.

Despite the tank being dry, the radiator core at the top was exposed. I put a quart of distilled water in it. Regardless, the temperature gage never changed, it always remained at the second mark (horizontal position) where it always runs regardless of driving conditions.
__________________
2004 LS430 UL - silver, chrome grille, Auto Couture trunk spoiler, OEM mud guards, 7-spoke OEM chrome wheels. VaisTech SL2Vi
1992 SC400 - Original owner

BOOMER SOONER!
jayclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #8
StanVanDam
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 454
Default

"In the absence of leaks, antifreeze chemicals such as ethylene glycol or propylene glycol may retain their basic properties indefinitely. By contrast, corrosion inhibitors are gradually used up, and must be replenished from time to time. Larger systems (such as HVAC systems) are often monitored by specialist firms which take responsibility for adding corrosion inhibitors and regulating coolant composition. For simplicity, most automotive manufacturers recommend periodic COMPLETE REPLACEMENT of engine coolant, to simultaneously renew corrosion inhibitors and remove accumulated contaminants."

The LS430 manufacturer-specified service interval is complete fluid replacement every 2 years / 24000kms. Like brake fluid, coolant is time-sensitive as well as usage-sensitive, so I change them out per the specified time/distance interval. By doing that, and with a leak-free system, your overflow tank would never run dry.

If you do not do a complete replacement every 2 years, at least do a visual inspection when that interval comes up.

You can edit this URL to put in your year and mileage, then click Full Schedule to see the manufacturer's service intervals - http://consumer.xtime.com/menu6/?&pr...tic&make=LEXUS
__________________
2002 LS430 UL / 130k kms / Blue Onyx Pearl / Ecru Bird's-Eye Maple / Ecru Premium Leather
VAISTech SL2Vi / iPod Touch 3G / Toyota Lexus Navigation DVD Gen 2-3 v10.1 86271-33049
90915-20004 oil filters / FIGS Engineering trunk struts / Interstate MTP-24F battery
225/55/17 Michelin X-Ice Xi2 + Macpek AZZ755CG rims
225/55/17 Michelin Primacy MXV4 + OEM chrome rims
FormulaOne Pinnacle 15 tint
Zaino Car Care Products
StanVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #9
XJSFan
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
XJSFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclapp View Post
Thanks for the heads up, as I usually depend on the dealer to check everything when I have the oil changed. Found my coolant tank dry. Will purchase coolant and attachment plugs for the air inlet cover over the radiator that has to be removed to access the coolant tank today.

Despite the tank being dry, the radiator core at the top was exposed. I put a quart of distilled water in it. Regardless, the temperature gage never changed, it always remained at the second mark (horizontal position) where it always runs regardless of driving conditions.
Adding a quart or so of distilled water will help and will not affect the effectiveness of the coolant... Its good to bring the level back up.
__________________
John P
Wisconsin
2006 LS 430 Flint Mica
XJSFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #10
Lavrishevo
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)
 
Lavrishevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,320
Default

Great link van dam.

Here is it for the 04 - 06. Outside the US maintenance schedule. Same in Europe and Asia. Notice how the transmission service is at 60,000 miles or 96,000 km. Lifetime fluid my ***...

http://consumer.xtime.com/menu6/?&pr...tic&make=LEXUS
__________________
2004 LS430 UL
1999 LS400
Lavrishevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #11
RushNatU
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 76
Default

I bought my 02 a couple months ago from a reputable Lexus dealer and guess what....some idiot stuffed a rag in the overflow tank and left the lid off to the side. It was completely dry. Morons. Added Toyota pink coolant to the full mark. Radiator was luckily full. Definitely an easy check.
RushNatU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #12
Bocatrip
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,055
Default

There are specifications according to the year of the LS430 as to using the pink or red coolant (ethylene glycol based as opposed to alcohol based). My 2001 had the Red when I purchased the car and that is what I have been using. The 2 should not be mixed.
__________________
Currently Own:
2001 Lexus LS430 Millenium Silver/Nav/ML
2010 Jaguar XK Coupe Liquid Silver
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe - purchased new. (sold)

Last edited by Bocatrip; Yesterday at 03:43 PM..
Bocatrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #13
RushNatU
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocatrip View Post
There are specifications according to the year of the LS430 as to using the pink or red coolant (ethylene glycol based as opposed to alcohol based). My 2001 had the Red when I purchased the car and that is what I have been using. The 2 should not be mixed.
Yeah what was in the radiator was more pink than red and the guy at the dealer parts counter said the pink can be added to any toyota coolant. Whether that is true or not, I'm not sure.
RushNatU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coolant overflow resevoir/coolant level sensor swap ucf10nate LS400 8 05-10-13 10:26 AM
93 SC400 using coolant in overflow tank zxaaron Performance & Maintenance 5 04-27-13 12:38 PM
SC400 coolant reservoir replacement MooJohn Performance & Maintenance 7 10-24-12 05:49 PM
Overflow coolant tank lid leak? Gville350 IS - Second Generation 2 09-02-11 02:56 PM
Coolant Overflowing From Overflow Tube bigmitch ES300 and ES330 9 08-08-11 08:08 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info