LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 09:51 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
well u cant go wrong either way.....thats weird the Pirellis cost more though......are u sure u chose the proper speed rating? I believe I paid $146 per tire for my P7s.......had the store match tire rack.....
if u want quiet and smooth go Pirellis.......if u want to really fast around wet corners....go Mich
I stand corrected. The two tires are identical in price. I was looking at the wrong speed rating.
Old 02-26-15, 10:29 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

If the shop will give u 30 day ride satisfaction guarantee.....u have nothing to lose. Throw on those smooth quiet P7s........u can thank me later
Old 02-26-15, 10:39 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Here is another review. I think going with the Premier is a smart choice.

Bottom line

"The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus offers good road manners with a little more sport than traditional category favorites," say TireRack.com editors. The Pirelli gets top marks for being stable on corners, having responsive steering and predictable handling in their comparison, though performance falters some on wet roads. It emphasizes high-performance handling and is very fuel efficient, but doesn't include a warranty.

Performance

Top-rated grip and handling. As a high-performance all-season tire, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 demonstrates excellent cornering stability and steering. In their comparison, editors with TireRack.com say the Cinturato P7 handles "very well." They rate it just above a competing Michelin tire, but say it isn't quite as responsive as a cheaper tire from Continental. On dry pavement, the Pirelli tire is predictable and responsive, though handling drops during wet-pavement tests. The H-speed-rated Cinturato P7 is better on snow than the faster V-speed-rated version (according to a leading consumer organization) but doesn't handle or brake quite as tightly.

Comfort

Very quiet. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 delivers a "smooth and well-refined ride," say editors with TireRack.com. In their comparison, the Pirelli isn't quite as smooth and quiet as the top-rated Michelin Primacy MXV4, though it is more comfortable than the Continental PureContact. Both owners and experts praise the Cinturato P7 for having very low tread noise. "The tread pattern of the Pirelli was found to generate relatively low volume," say TireRack.com editors. In the owner review section of the same website, one owner says, "of the three sets of tires I've owned for this car (Michelin, Continental, now Pirelli), they are top shelf in vibration-free driving at all speeds."

Durability

No tread warranty. Pirelli doesn't include a treadwear warranty for the Cinturato P7, offering only a pro-rated defect warranty until 2/32-inch of depth remains on the tire. While it has a very high rating for treadwear in TireRack.com's survey on grand-touring all-season tires (with a score of 9.3 out of 10), there are few owner reviews with high mileage on the tires. Between 10,000 and 20,000 miles, most owner reviewers say, the Cinturato P7 wears evenly and quietly. Experts offer conflicting reviews for treadwear: one leading consumer organization rates it as only fair, while another says it's one of the longest lasting 17-inch tires, estimating a 49,500-mile life span.
Old 02-26-15, 12:21 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

"Isn't quite as smooth and quiet as the top-rated Michelin Primacy MXV4" and no tread wear warranty at all. Yikes. Glad I steered clear of that.

Another thing that bothered me about the Pirelli is that it just looked like a cheap tire. Looks are way down the priority list for me, but the design is not very pleasing to the eye, and really looked like it didn't belong on a car like the 430. The Premier is by far better looking.
Old 02-26-15, 03:31 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

bigger tires make you taller

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-02-21 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 03:50 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Uh ohhhhh Im being ganged up on..........its tough because I am a one man team. This is probably a good time to reiterate that I have none ...zero...nada...zippy affiliation w Pirelli. Its funny how u guys read that second review......but made no comments regarding the negative comments about the MXV4 and Premier.......and its odd that it says isnt as quiet as MXV4 when their other review clearly states the Mich tires being loud on grooved pavement and expansion joints........When I read both of those reviews I hear many many positive things being said about the Pirelli tire.......and u guys only pic out the negative.....Are u capable of admitting or saying anything negative about Michellin......or only Pirelli? I have said many good things about Michelin even saying I am a huge Michelin fan........

KEEP IN MIND...THIS IS JUST A DISCUSSION.....I REALLY DONT CARE WHICH TIRE ANYONE GETS......

I think it also says something about Pirelli being rated just above Mich???? Did I read that right? I prob have it backwards......Although I know I saw in consumer reports the P7 was rated higher then the MXV4 not the Premier AS though............

As for the Pirelli warranty......they better hope I dont need it....because I will jump off the P train in about 2 seconds if they dont back their product,,,,,,and I admit I have read that Pirelli customer service has fallen short in the past......

ya see guys.....I admitted the tire doesnt have a warranty....its ok...I will be fine....give it a try.....

as for looks of the Pirelli tire........I was very hesitant when I saw mine at the store...kinda wild lookin sidewall. Once installed thankfully you can even notice the sidewall...and when u do it looks kind of sporty. That being said.....hard to beat the word Michelin on the side of your tire....I think it is sort of a badge of respect. See guys...I did it again.....I said something nice about your tire......your turn.......

Just a discussion guys.....just a discussion.....but let me go back and read that review again.....do u have the portion of that review u posted when they were discussing the Michelin tire? I noticed u left that out
Old 02-26-15, 04:02 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

woooops I see what happened.........After posting the Tire Rack review I was boasting a bit and celebrating a bit too much. Like doing an endzone dance........I got carried away...was finally happy with my decision ya see........u guys didnt like my dance so tried to knock the preverbial ball out of my hand........I get it........cheers!

I went back a highlighted the review for u....the portion that u missed......just read this section.....

Grand Touring All-Season tires are a treat to drive out on the road, thanks to their blend of comfortable and quiet ride and reassuring handling. Our team found the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus to be very smooth and quiet, absorbing bumps and expansion joints well and producing minimal tread pattern noise. The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity followed, also doing a nice job of cushioning the ride over rough and jarring sections of our route. The tread pattern is relatively quiet, but this tire did produce a bit more noise than the Pirelli when encountering larger impacts. The Michelin Premier A/S was also smooth-riding and relatively quiet, except when rolling over the cross-grooved concrete expressway section, where its tread pattern generated a hint of a distinctive tone discernable over the ambient noise from wind and surrounding traffic

did u read it?

Just havin fun guys.......
Old 02-26-15, 11:50 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

my tricycle has pnumatic tires, great ride

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-02-21 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-27-15, 11:50 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Old 02-27-15, 06:41 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Bob .........dont let John Henry Patterson do the talkin for ya.......lets hear it from you!

Well the facts are I havent convinced anybody yet... and only lately have I asked anyone to actually pull the trigger on P7s and give them a try........the main goal of the thread is to find the absolute best tire for our cars. .............But it will make you and John Henry Patterson happy to know that I have finally convinced myself that I made the absolute best decision for me and my car. I just drove her to dinner tonight and she was as smooth as glass.

I am a rational person....willing to speak of the pros and cons of anything......pros AND cons.......

It looks like my persistence to achieve my goal....and the way that I go about it has finally worn u out.......and to tell u the truth .....I have found my answer. There still may be a few that wonder across this thread and stir up the discussion some more.....Im still in it to win it......but if you have had enough then I say respectfully.....and I stress the word...." respectfully"......... to simply unsubscribe good sir............no offense.....
Old 02-27-15, 08:12 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

So, you have limited mileage on your Pirellis. No experience with the Premier or MXV4. Random media reviews on the internet, but none using a LS430. Same tire on different cars can produce a very different experience. You have almost completely discarded the results from the Premier thread here a few weeks ago where every review from LS430 owners were very positive. Not to mention that the determination of tire quality doesn't involve the first couple of thousand miles only. That's why I mentioned that while I think my Premiers are perfection now, I will be reporting back as they get more miles. I won't even try to determine which is the better tire for the same reasons.

At this point, you seem more obsessed with boasting, touchdown dancing, and convincing YOURSELF that you made the right choice than actually proving anything. Owning one tire for a few months, having no experience with either Michelin, and reading a few general reviews on the internet doesn't offer enough evidence to prove which tire is the better tire for the 430.
Old 02-27-15, 09:15 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

So, you have limited mileage on your Pirellis. No experience with the Premier or MXV4. Random media reviews on the internet, but none using a LS430. Same tire on different cars can produce a very different experience. You have almost completely discarded the results from the Premier thread here a few weeks ago where every review from LS430 owners were very positive. Not to mention that the determination of tire quality doesn't involve the first couple of thousand miles only. That's why I mentioned that while I think my Premiers are perfection now, I will be reporting back as they get more miles. I won't even try to determine which is the better tire for the same reasons.

At this point, you seem more obsessed with boasting, touchdown dancing, and convincing YOURSELF that you made the right choice than actually proving anything. Owning one tire for a few months, having no experience with either Michelin, and reading a few general reviews on the internet doesn't offer enough evidence to prove which tire is the better tire for the 430.

Damn Bob.........Bobby Bobby Bobby........I was hoping u would take the high road.....I even asked u to respectfully unsubscribe.....why didnt you?...I think u are starting to enjoy this. If u can keep control of your dander I would love to debate your claims.....and u can pm me to do it off line so we dont have to do a grown up pissing match to try to impress on lookers. Your call. I guess what bothers me is that u seem to be coming after me....I think u may have taken a stab at my integrity.......something in your reply seemed a little angry for a tire thread......

Just a couple of answers to your claims...suggestions...and points......

First you go to all the trouble to basically tell me to finally make a decision.......so after like 13 pages of posts I DID!!!!!!! Now that I took your advice....you are telling me I that I dont have the proper facts or research to make my decision....did I read that right?

I am on this site all of the time....I didnt even see the Premier AS thread u are talking about...it would have been very productive to post the link in my thread dont u think. For the record...I did read other tire threads and recently alerted people to a thread and posted here.....did u read it? I have also mentioned 10 times that I like Michelin...and have pointed out positives of the tire....my only issue is the noise level which has been confirmed 1000 times even by the tire rack folks Bob.

You say I read Random Pirelli posts on line? I read 100's.........100's Bob........and found it extremely difficult to find a negative word about the tire. It is unfortunate but true.that I found numerous negative posts on the MXV4.....every third or fourth post was negative....we have discussed this several times throughout this thread. As u might recall....my particular thought that the MXV4 does very well on heavy sedans.....like the 430....due to so many happy LS430 owners w MXV4s.........do u want me to post the reviews again Bob?

Im the one that gave u the touch down dance ammo trying to keep it light and take a dig at myself...........you took the bait Bob

When I said I am happy with MY decision FOR ME...AND MY CAR....thats correct....why do u have a problem with that. I also noted like u BOB....that it will take me a long time to put mileage on these tires they are great right now....( also pointing out I even wanted them to be quieter ) and that I will report back as I go along to help others make a decision......remember BOB?......

You make mention I have no experience with Michelin....which I do actually....but not MXV4 or Premier......they were Energy on a different car.............So let me ask you Bob......Since you are steadfast against even the thought of the P7 being a suitable tire......DO U HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO BACK UP YOUR RESISTANCE? What is your experience with the Pirelli P7? .................None.......thats what I thought Bob.........

Bob.......after re reading my response to you I think I have lost my mind and gone over board......cant bring myself to delete it though .I will give you the last word so u can tell me off and go on your way.....then I will simply take the high road........you win........lets agree to disagree.........prob wont happen since I jabbed and poked at you during my response......pretty much did that whole pissing match thing.....wooooops............but I am serious....im done.....I will not reply back to u.......sock it to me Bob......you have the floor......my thread is derailed....what will I do now.... thanks a lot Bob!......I need to lay off this cough syrup!!! Makes me defensive.......

Old 02-28-15, 05:55 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This has turned into a presidential debate.
Old 02-28-15, 08:00 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

JPV, if you're happy with the P7, that is all that matters. The same goes for everyone else regardless of the tire chosen. I went with the Premier 97H. They were installed yesterday and i am thrilled with them. The road noise from the 45k mile Primacys was increasingly noticeable on worn roads, but whisper quiet on freshly or recently resurfaced roads. The Premiers, on the same roads, are remarkably smoother and more quiet.

Like JPV, I am happy with my choice. That's all that matters.
Old 02-28-15, 08:16 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Deadguy.......I totally agree......However it did take me a while to determine my position on the tire, in the end I am happy with my choice. Another goal that was achieved is that we have given future readers a couple of great tire options to choose from. We have also pointed out the pros and cons of each tire so people can choose whats important to them. As I have said many times before.....Michelin makes an awesome tire.....and I would always have them on the top of my short list when shopping for tires.

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430