LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 06:07 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the p7 and the premier

mainly will differ from rain/hydroplaning the premier is the best tire on the road for it,
the -p7 tested watch the tire rack video average for wet performance, so in climates with rain its a no brainer, this thread will go in to infiniity because owners of cars seem to think tires will address suspension issues, suspension failures with mileage, worn ball joints, worn upper control arms and shocks that are starting to age, so the real thread should be how do we buy a great tire to change worn suspensions ride and feel
Old 01-20-15, 08:34 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm trying to figure out how anyone can remember what the road noise sounded like on a set of tires they purchased a few years ago, and then comparing that noise to a new set of tires.

I purchased my 04 LS in Oct. 2011. New set of 17" MXV4s. To date, they have about 46k on them. I will be buying a new set soon. Even at 46k, they are as quiet as I could expect a tire to be on every type of surface. However, I could not tell you what these tires sounded like 3+ years ago. I know the car was quiet then, just as it is now. Much better on new asphalt than grooved or concrete surfaces (actually, the old concrete on interstates is pretty smooth and quiet, except for the expansion joints).

Whether I choose the MXV4s, the Premier A/S or some other quality tire, I probably will not be able to tell you how they compare to the current tires when I purchased the car. I'll simply be able to say, "yeah, it is much quieter now".
Old 01-20-15, 09:08 AM
Lexus404
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never used Pirelli tires, but may try them when my current Michelins wear out.
Old 01-21-15, 09:16 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Deadguy.....although u seem confused your post is exactly the type of info we are looking for.....Basically you have owned MXV4s for several years and really like them.....in fact so much that u will prob buy another set soon. No pressure to remember how your tires were when new......

But your info was consistent with most MXV4 owners.....a really good experience......with the only exception being expansion joints......

I have read so many complaints about the MXV4s on expansion joints I just want to hear it for my self......I cant believe its so bad.....

Thanks for the input.......
Old 01-22-15, 01:38 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Hey Deadguy.....although u seem confused your post is exactly the type of info we are looking for.....Basically you have owned MXV4s for several years and really like them.....in fact so much that u will prob buy another set soon. No pressure to remember how your tires were when new......

But your info was consistent with most MXV4 owners.....a really good experience......with the only exception being expansion joints......

I have read so many complaints about the MXV4s on expansion joints I just want to hear it for my self......I cant believe its so bad.....

Thanks for the input.......
Not confused at all. I just have a bad memory and cannot relate to those that can remember things like this.

My comment about the expansion joints wasn't to say they are annoying or loud, but to say the concrete surface is smooth other than the joints. A bump in the road is going to be felt and heard whether it's in a Radio Flyer wagon or a Lexus. Of course, a bit easier on the kidneys in the LS.

I'm still undecided on the tire choice.
Old 02-01-15, 03:47 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have details on MPG with the Pirelli's? Did MPG go down, up, or stay the same when you put these on?
Old 02-03-15, 01:02 PM
jbraswell
Driver School Candidate

I have 65K on the primacy MXV4.
It's been a great tire in all conditions and I can easily get 25/26 on the highway.

I have been looking at the P7, but I think I am going with the A/S since Costco has them on sale this month.
Old 02-04-15, 11:06 AM
honasbone
Driver

Default Flat spotting

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring purchaser here. Got them initially because they had received generally pretty strong reviews. Admittedly they occasionally get a terrible review - seemed to get similar reviews to the Primacy MXV4s in that regard - most great, but some really bad. The Goodyears were about $250 cheaper than the MXV4 at the time. So it was the cost savings that made the decision for me.

I think my expectations were much like the original poster's were back at the time I was shopping around. I wanted the absolute quietest tire. Although I did have to consider cost. So when I got them on the road and they weren't as quiet as I hoped, I was okay with that. But I've wondered ever since if the MXV4s or the Premiers would be quieter. Now I'm wondering about the Pirelli's as well . But it's probably just a futile pursuit of an unobtainable quietness. Where there is tires, there is road noise. How much will depend on the tire. But it will never be 100% muted. At least not with current tire tech. Or that's what I'm choosing to believe for now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

All that said, my tires definitely flat spot. Only takes a couple of hours for it to occur too. Doesn't seem right that a tire should flat spot that quickly. But it may just be that this tire was never intended to carry this much weight. Or it could be I got tires from a sub-par batch.

Funny thing is, I only notice the flat spotting after say 45/50 mph and greater. I never notice it on side streets. But get up to speed and there it is. Smooths out after a couple of miles. I don't know if it completely smooths out though because there is some very slight steering wheel vibration even on long road trips. Makes me wonder if flat spotting never smooths out 100%, or if I have a worn suspension/mount component. I've replaced front wheel hubs, LCA bushings and sway bar bushings. All helped. But nothing completely fixed the steering wheel vibes. Could be tie rods, ball joints or something in the steering itself. But I can't help but wonder if it's the tires.

Some more fuel for the fire.

Have to say thanks to the original poster. Interesting thread. Exactly what forums are for. You've handled yourself well despite some... misguided... posts shot your way.
Old 02-04-15, 05:00 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the comfortred flatspotted around 30 out of the subdivision then straightened out quickly. Otherwise nice tires with Sears rebate they where dirt cheap a great value tire. MXV4 V rated a better tire or a for price. they both lasted long
Old 02-12-15, 07:06 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

hey yowza!!!! There was activity in my thread and I wasnt notified.......not sure what happened.......will check my settings.

Honasbone.............THANK YOU!!!!
You actually have gone through the exact experience and understand where I was coming from when I started the thread. Wanted absolute whisper quiet.......did really good but didnt achieve entire goal.........still have tiny bit of doubt in the back of my head.

That being said I feel very confident that the MXV4s are not any more quiet then my P7s.......and still have yet to read a negative post on the P7s..........also thank you for mentioning the same thing that I saw........and I am a Michellin fan........but there were a bunch of really bad reviews on the MXV4s and on the comfortread assurance as well........I shopped both of those tires prior to ending up w the P7s.

2 other notes.............
Zero flat spotting w P7s and my car just sits in the garage for days at a time. My previous tires flat spotted after several hours of sitting......smoothed out by the time I was out of the neighborhood but thats not the kind of feel I want when I hop in my flagship ride.

Fuel mileage question.........I can only say this......I just use my car as a cruiser and to take the wife to dinner gas mileage is not a concern for me. However.....I did notice the P7s have very little roll resistance which is nice.....they coast real well and it doesnt feel like the car is slowing down during a coast like my previous tires did. As I recall on a road trip to PA through the mountains my dash gauge was saying 22mpg......I wonder if I drive down south where it is flat if I could increase that number.

Around town I always drive in power mode..........

Sorry I missed your replies.....will be checking back soon
Old 02-13-15, 03:53 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, I've had the Premiers for 5 weeks now, and I am very happy with them. Very quiet and smooth, and they handle very well. Better than I remember my new MXV4 in every way. It will be interesting to see how they are at 30K. Admittedly, I didn't rotate the MXV4s like I should have every 5K, but I plan to do so with these.
Old 02-13-15, 08:16 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thats good input Bob.......so now for me...the little doubt in the back of my head is Premier or P7? As I recall the Premier was rated number 1 and the P7 number 2? MXV4 was number 3 or 4? Dont quote me on that........I wouldnt hesitate to try the Premiers.....but if they start to get these crazy negative reviews I will think twice. But I think most bad reviews come from cars with issues or not rotating often enough.

After my reply last night I went on to Tire Rack to see if there were a bunch of LS430 people that have left reviews on the P7s because we still dont have anyone on this site other then me to compare with. And honestly I dont want to sound biased for the P7 over Michellin because without trying both on the same car I have no idea which is better......

Well didnt find a bunch of LS430 people......but again read so many reviews all positive saying all the buzz words....quiet and smooth.........I dont have the energy to cut and paste a bunch of them so u guys that are interested....put in our tires size and try to select a heavy car or Lexus to be fair........read random swaths of 20 reviews.......they are all positive. Note....one guy said his fuel mi went down.....I find that hard to believe....and it was a lexus hybrid too?

Then grab a similar swath of MXV4 and read 20 reviews........70/30 positive reviews vs very negative reviews.........

I swear one of these days Im just gunna throw the Michellins on my car and settle this once and for all........I will keep the better tire and sell the other at a slight loss....all in the name of science!

By the way....dont Pirelli or Michellin reps read threads like this?
Old 02-13-15, 10:07 AM
honasbone
Driver

Default Goodyears Assurance Comfortred vs Michelin Premier A/S

Well, I was able to return my tires and swap them out for the Michelin Premier A/S. I had about 10k miles on the Goodyears. 9/12ths tread left. They rode and sounded the same as brand new when they came off the car. So still in good shape for an apples to apple comparison I'd say.

Cost me $200 to swap out, but I got brand new tires out of the deal. So really it's more like a $100 swap. Figured it worth the science experiment.

Flat spotting seems to be gone with the Michelins. I haven't had a lot of time with them on the freeway yet, so time will tell. So far so good. Win for the Michelins.

Noise? The same. I mean there may be incredibly subtle differences between the two. But they are just that. And I'd say the difference between the two is so subtle that the win in this category could go either way depending on the driver. Tie

Comfort? Again, the same. and very subtle differences. I just can't tell a difference. Maybe another driver could. But it's not a clear win. Tie

Gas Mileage? Too early to tell.

There is a smoothness to the Michelins on the freeway that I didn't have with the Goodyears. But I attribute that to the flat spotting issue. I had a sub par set of Goodyears.

Assuming you could get tires that were guaranteed to not have flat spots, and were the same price, I couldn't say for sure which one to go with. I'd probably go with the Michelins just because I got a bad set of Goodyears once already and wouldn't want to risk it again. But if the Goodyears are cheaper, might be worth the risk. Because if you do get a good set of Goodyears, you probably won't be able to tell any difference between them and Michelins you would have otherwise purchased. - barring any manufacturing defects of course.

Hope that helps someone.
Old 02-13-15, 10:28 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Very interesting.....great input. I had read that the Goodyears had several out of round reviews.....and needed road force balancing bare minimum to try to get right.....thats what strayed me away from Goodyear.

Sounds like the Mich and the P7s are the same on noise level......next time you are in Chantilly Va lets compare out 04 LS430s....
Old 02-14-15, 03:58 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I had MXV4 h rated tires they where very good, I got GY Comfortred V rated they where crisper handling, same noise level wore very well no flat spots. Then got MXv4 V rated and felt those had an edge on the Comfortred V's. Do not remember any flat spotting that did not disappear by the time I was out of my subdivision if at all.

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430