LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 07:10 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

LS430lover................what happened man? With a handle like LS430 lover I cant believe u are leaving the nest. Did I read your thread correctly? You sold your LS430 and bought a Honda Accord??? After all that jazz u threw at me regarding MXV4s.......I sure hope your Accord has MXV4s on it........You dont even own a LS430 but are still reading my thread that drives u crazy????? Must be slow on ClubHonda.....kidding....again....I was kidding!!!!!!

Hey man....Honda makes a great car.....Hard to beat a brand new car. I did have one question for you though......if u loved your Lexus so much....why didnt you by a Camry or Avalon.......The Avalon is smooooooooth......Its a baby Lexus......

Do me a favor though.......reply via PM......we finally have this thread back on track and I dont think everyone wants to hear us take shots at each other....even though its all in fun...
Old 11-14-14, 11:51 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I ate some sushi once, tasted like raw fish

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-02-21 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-15-14, 09:33 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey JFF706......u have good taste.......I like the Cypress Pearl color. .........to answer your questions....I checked my title, door sticker, and under the hood....did not see MFR date..... As for the tranny dip stick...I have one for my oil but do not see one for tranny....from everything I have read it is a sealed tranny.....so doubtful it would have a dip stick. I had the tranny service done...pretty sure I got ripped off.....I believe they only replaced 2 quarts of fluid and charged me around $200!!!!

You say u just rotated your tires at 4000mi????? If my memory serves...u are a MXV4 guy right? Well although recently pointed out....MXV4 is almost a moot point going forward......but hell im still curious..........sorry to member STU this question is gunna make him mad .........

1. Do u hear road noise?
2. Scale of 1 to 10 how loud on average
3. Would u say that u notice road noise sometimes when not thinking about it....and say....damn....road noise......? Our car is so quiet that any road noise kinda bugs me
4. Do your tires flat spot if left in garage for a few days
5. Any complaints about the tire?

But now that the MXV4 is no longer available.....I cant switch to it anyway........Premier AS Is the big dog on the block....only time will tell. So those questions will really be interesting for the next guy that steps up and gets the Premiers.........

My Pirellis are real good......Just not sure how good I just detailed and Clay Barred the car....so wont be taking it out in heavy rain anytime soon...curious how the P7s will do in the heavy rain............the Pic on previous post was pre Pirellis and pre clay bar treatment...she shines like a pearl now.
Old 11-15-14, 09:46 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Funny ! You just can't get over this .... even after you made your choice, LOL
I am not mad at all. I am amused and think its funny !
To show there are no hard feelings I will give you my answers

1. Do u hear road noise?

not usually any road noise. Sometimes a little but any level of music or conversation will cover it up. If you sit in the car and listen for road noise, some bad road surfaces you can hear the tires.

2. Scale of 1 to 10 how loud on average

3. Would u say that u notice road noise sometimes when not thinking about it....and say....damn....road noise......? Our car is so quiet that any road noise kinda bugs me

No. Never that loud

4. Do your tires flat spot if left in garage for a few days

No. Never

5. Any complaints about the tire?

They were $ $700 installed and balances so the price is more than most.
Old 11-15-14, 10:31 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ha!!!! Cool........thanks Stu.........I appreciate it!!!....I am OCD big time......and a perfectionist........So its in my nature to never give up or let anything go until I am completely satisfied....which is rare. Drives my wife crazy!!

You did mention road noise in your drive-ability thread.....and Shin-Etsu grease possibly lowering your road noise......I bought the grease after reading your thread

Given your answers to the MXV4s I regret never having the option to try a set.......We can only hope the Premier will be as good......but nobody has taken the leap yet.
Old 11-15-14, 10:49 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Ha!!!! Cool........ You did mention road noise in your drive-ability thread.....and Shin-Etsu grease possibly lowering your road noise......I bought the grease after reading your thread ....
That was not my thread, but I did post in it.

I used the Shin Etsu to try to eliminate a window squeak I thought was the window's edge moving against the the frame moldings ... the grease "may" have gotten rid of a very, very minor wind noise.

It is quite possible the wind noise may have been eliminated by me messing with the trim components and had nothing to do with applying the Shin Etsu grease.

The window squeak is gone too but the Shin Etsu grease did not help with that.
Old 11-15-14, 01:30 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Roger that STU.........same for me.....I noticed rubber molding making rubbing sound on door frame after I used some Spray 9 on the molding.....I was using the spray 9 on plastic parts with great success but with the towel still wet I wiped the molding down.....it has squeaked ever since. I bought and applied Shin Etsu grease....seems like it will do wonders for restoring the rubber...but I will have to tweak the amount applied to completely eliminate the squeak. It was however fantastic for my sunroof molding which was very dirty....I cleaned the rubber and massaged the SE grease completely in the molding....I feel I may have saved myself from leaks in the future.

The reason I still pursue info on tires even after I made my choice is.........I was expecting miracles with my Pirellis.....as I have said they are really good.....but no miracles.......and the second part is....If I can confirm there is a tire out there that will make my car ride like its on a puffy cloud and whisper quiet.....I wont hesitate to craigslist my P7s and make the switch......Im crazy like that.
Old 11-15-14, 02:40 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Wow....u guys lit it up today......Glad to be back on track........Great point about the MXV4 being almost impossible to buy now....I wasnt aware of that. That is a bummer because its the only tire that we have a great base line on for the 430.....it was the " go to " tire that so many people loved. We know as much about the Premier as we do about the P7 for our cars......not enough time in the books for either tire. It will take me forever to give u guys good tread-ware feed back on the P7s because I will only drive my 430 about 7k miles per year. That being said....if anyone is ever in Virginia and wants to check my P7s out......I will gladly take u for a ride.

Interesting that no other tire has really entered this thread as a contender. On my short list was the Goodyear Assurance Comfor-tred........but after reading too many weird reviews I didnt feel comfortable pulling the trigger.....my local dealer swore by them.......
I would like to add that the Toyo Versado LX's i had on my ride was a pretty darn quiet tire. Tread wear was average to good and traction in rain was awesome coupled with traction control. They have been replaced with the LX II's and this will be the tire i'm sticking with due to the peformance im getting for under $800 a set. Got a set on y GF's ES and she loves them also.
Old 11-23-14, 09:51 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Slvr Srfr.......those are some tires u just dont see in your everyday tire stores......but u have given us some additional options to look for.

Little update from me........

Drove the garage queen yesterday....she seems to like the winter air......Have her set on " Power " setting pretty much all the time.......she was like up grading to first class yesterday. I drive a work vehicle during the week.....so the Lexus is a stark contrast......I must say....the ole Pirellis were nice and quiet....smooth......and no flat spotting........
Old 11-24-14, 05:22 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jpv hope your well, your a riot with this thread, i am going to drive up with stu and have to show you we donate our time at a hospital instead of flat spots, 20 years of driving with michelin and good year never a flat spot,
guess its the kumhos
Old 11-24-14, 08:17 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

430accordlover......not sure your actually reading my posts..........but I will reply to u anyway..........Do u realize I was saying that one of the features that I like about the Pirellis is that I DONT
get any flat spotting? One of the negative reviews that I read about the MXV4s was flat spotting. To be clear...as I always TRY to be.....I only read ONE review on MXV4s regarding flat spotting............The tires I had on my 430 prior to my Pirellis were Kuhmos.....They did in fact flat spot. The tires I had on my Avalon were Goodyears......they also flat spotted.................I am very happy that I dont have to drive a few miles now before my tires smooth out.
Old 12-29-14, 07:39 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Default 1000 mile update on Pirelli P7

Just came back from road trip to the mountains of PA.....This puts me at just over 1000 miles now on my new Pirelli P7s.........I have a good feel for the tire now....but really nothing has changed. I would feel confident recommending the tire to other LS430 owners. The facts are the same.....

My car sits a lot....never any flat spotting...that is excellent
My favorite thing about the tire is low roll resistance
Looks arent bad at all
Absorbs bumps well
Tracks very true....I had alignment done at time of purchase
I was only able to achieve 23mpg on this road trip...I run 93 octane
The tire is quiet but as I have said before.....I will always wonder if there is another tire out there that is more quiet. On smooth pavement zero noise.....on other types of pavement basically muffles and dampens the noise but it still can be heard.......

The car was awesome on the road trip!!!!
Old 01-05-15, 12:14 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I started following this thread to pick new tires for my 2002 UL. My current tires are old Michelins that came on the car when I bought it. They are very close to wear bars and have dry rot cracks.

My biggest complaint is the "drumming" noise when hitting cracks in the road. It sounds like somebody thumping a basketball by your ear. Once I identified the tone, it's impossible to ignore and drives me nuts.

Do you guys have any experience with this noise on P7 tires?
Old 01-05-15, 05:40 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Cyclehead......
I would love to help you with your thumping basketball question but Im just not sure what cracks in the road you are referring to.. I have read many many times about the MXV4s being loud over a certain type of grooved or cut pavement........I will assume this is what you are saying as well.....When I was a kid and my family took the family station wagon with 5 kids on vacation.....as the youngest I laid in the super cool void between the 2nd and 3rd row of seats in our station wagon.....this void was directly over the rear axle......to this day 40years later I still vividly remember hearing and feeling our old steel belted radials thumping every 2 or 3 seconds over the joint in the concrete highway. I live in Virginia where we dont have a lot of jointed highways...or concrete poured sections......So after driving 1000 miles on my tires I cant say I have ever heard a annoying thumping sound.........but that being said......is there any tire that wouldnt make noise going over those gaps? My tires are brand new so I have lots of thick rubber to muffle noise like u describe.......I can only assume that the P7s will also make a noise .....might be a diff noise......but u will hear something.
As I have said a few times...with the P7s.....if u are driving with no radio or vent fans blowing....the tires are quiet.....but u do hear diff muted tones as u go from one road type to the other......thats the best way I can describe it............in the end....its not life and death....its $1000.00 bucks tops.....and its reversible.........I would love someone else to give us feedback on the P7s....but so far I am the only guinea pig..........good luck.......and report back what u end up with
Old 01-06-15, 04:53 AM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm familiar with the clopping horse hoof noise while travelling over regularly spaced expansion joints. My tires make the expected noise over these joints, accompanied by a tone. If I had perfect pitch I could sing the note. I presume it's some natural frequency of the tire/casing/suspension. As I mentioned, once I identified the note, it's really annoying.

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430