LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 07:44 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

sorry ls430 lover........really not trying to stir the pot....thought u were cool with presenting facts back and forth so others can gain knowledge and make educated decisions. I did read your posts and watched the video............

I love talking cars and being an educated consumer. The only way to learn is from being open to other peoples experiences and opinions.

I get it....you love the MXV4.....period.

I am sorry If I have offended you...certainly not my intent.

Lets get back on the right path right now....and let the thread get back to its intentions....

My original post is to discuss Pirelli P7 vs MXV4 or other options for the Lexus LS430

There is no definitive right or wrong here......

Would love to hear from someone who has switched from MXV4 to Pirelli P7 and get their opinion...............
Old 11-12-14, 10:49 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jpv hope your well
the mxv4 is old technology, but a set of the premier a/s and move forward with the best tire for the money, your either italian or working for milan, either way your in va you need a good set of rubber in the wet
be safe brother
Old 11-12-14, 11:43 AM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
jpv hope your well
the mxv4 is old technology, but a set of the premier a/s and move forward with the best tire for the money, your either italian or working for milan, either way your in va you need a good set of rubber in the wet
be safe brother
Geez ls430 you really are not getting this are you! JPV has started and maintained a thread about evaluating a couple of leading brand and types of tires for LS430 users. Something I am interested in and possibly others. Threads like these are quite valuable, stop trying to bully your thoughts onto others by dismissing their observations. Your narrow minded responses makes one believe you are the one without an open mind to discuss the possibility there is life beyond Michelin. Are you French or something? That last comment was to get even with your comment about being Italian - see how narrow minded comments like that are.

As JPV stated, let's get back to the topic. What are the characteristics that each tire brings to the ride AND safety specific to our beloved LS430s.

End of rant.... now let's get back to an informed and intelligent conversation.
Old 11-12-14, 01:48 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I drive the MXV4s and like them. They are the V rated tire. In the winters I run the cheapest winter tire made by Firestone, called Winterforce. I am pretty sure you cant buy a cheaper winter tire but they came with the car when I bought it. They are noisy and they worked great but they are worn out from driving in Florida last winter, lol.

I need to measure but after 4 years I think I need 4 new winter tires ..... Have any of you passionate tire experts who live in a snowy area know what tires are the best for the LS430. Don't want to read about this for hours on Tire Rack and buy the wrong tires.
Old 11-12-14, 01:57 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bonjour galco, buy the michelins the pirellis wont last 60 k
Old 11-12-14, 04:12 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Pirelli makes better snow tires than Michelin.
Old 11-12-14, 06:29 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Wow!!! That was fun.....I thought it was just me .......Im still taking the high road......but note this thread has given me a few laughs for sure. LS430lover....feel free to PM me and stir the pot all u want.......but its best to keep it off line......especially since you are so one sided!!! KIDDING.....I was KIDDING And I actually am half Italian........so you are right again.

Everybody ready to get back on track????

I bought the P7 because it was rated higher then MXV4
Had only one negative review
Was highly recommended by 2 Tire Rack guys
And the many negative reviews on the MXV4 turned me off

After approx 300 miles on the P7s my findings are tricky because this car w 135k miles on it....2004 LS430....is new to me.....My base line is coming from driving 1 month on brand new Kuhmo Ecstas which were pretty darn good. I only plan on owning the car for 50k so I went for a Premium tire hoping to eliminate 98% of road noise.

After 300 miles.....
Slight improvement over Kuhmos on road noise
definite improvement for rolling resistance.....the tire wants to goooooo
zero flat spotting which is great for me because I only drive the car a couple times per week
definite improvement on handling over Kuhmos...takes corners very well
whisper quiet ride on smooth road.....
will echo although muted....other types of road surfaces.....
I didnt buy for budget...and with alignment ended up paying $825.00 total...

My ultimate goal of totally removing road noise may have been an unobtainable goal in the first place......so the only way for me to know how quiet my 430 is compared to others is to ride in another 430 with MXV4s or to finally come across a MXV4 guy that switches to a P7 and reports back.

As I have noted there are many many many MXV4 happy customers......many many many and that is on a LS430..........That says a lot.

Do you MXV4 guys hear the diff types of road noise? I have read the tire screams on cut pavement.......I will assume whisper quiet on smooth road.........

Anyone know a Michelin or Pirelli rep? Maybe said rep would help us by letting someone try the opposite tire they currently have mounted......long shot? sure....I personally would pay say $100 bucks to be able to feel out the MXV4 or Premier AS..........And I am crazy enough to switch if one proved to be better then the other.......take a loss...sell on Craigslist...whatever.

As it stands right now.......I .....half Italian JPV am pretty pleased with my Pirelli P7s
Old 11-13-14, 11:50 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

my black model T has white tires, tottaly racist

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-02-21 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 02:11 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
continuing to follow this with interest? my car came with Dunlop's from Japan and they lasted 28,627 miles and replaced with another set of Dunlop's from Lexus dealer (not my money) they lasted 27,000 miles and replaced with 80,000 mile Michelin hydroedge that lasted a pitiful 35,000 miles. I bought Primacies in July and would love to get 30,000+ miles from these 60,000 mile tires. you got a good deal on those pirellies and an alignment for what I paid for the tires alone. I do not love Michelin. but the reviews I read were favorable. my Uncle buys Panda tires at his corner gas station and swears they are as good as Michelins. Panda tires are made in China.
I too have a new set of Primacys on my car and have always loved them. However, I can't say that treadwear is a strong point. If you live in a hot climate (as I do) and do a fair amount of city driving, don't expect much more than 30-35,000 miles before you are around 3/32nds-4/32nds which is where I look for replacement. Heat is the enemy. If you do mostly highway driving, than 40-45,000 miles can work. Even though we hear about those who get over 50,000 miles out of their tires, I might not want to be the owner of that car unless there is 4/32nds of tread life left, as I still want something on my tires when I drive in rain, or even more importantly when I need that very important emergency stop braking. I have heard good things about the P7, but not enough reviews yet with the LS430 to form an opinion.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-13-14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 02:24 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Finally we are getting some great informative non biased posts again. This was a point I was driving towards with an un named poster.....yes these MXV4s are awesome but must have some negatives to go along with all of the positives. Ironically 2 posts in a row mention Michelin and tread wear when that was the particular hard line that the un named poster continues to bludgeon me with. Can either of the last two posters give me a detailed description of the road noise you are getting with your new MXV4s please? The 430 is naturally quiet and smooth...thats why we bought it.......but I am asking if your radio is off and windows up.....driving diff types of pavement.....how u would describe the road noise......My best guess is they ride very similar to my Pirellis.......very quiet but if u really listen u can def hear road noise on anything other then smooth highway...right?

More reports on the Michelin Premier AS would be good too.......I have to assume that tire is awesome.......
Old 11-13-14, 03:32 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
bonjour galco, buy the michelins the pirellis wont last 60 k
Well, OK, now that was funny! (seriously) And I am ALL Italian!!!
Old 11-13-14, 03:45 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
.... Can either of the last two posters give me a detailed description of the road noise you are getting with your new MXV4s please? I am asking if your radio is off and windows up.....driving diff types of pavement.....how u would describe the road noise.......
You did your homework and made your choice. Enjoy the tires you chose. Move on.

Asking people here, after the fact, to give a you a "detailed description of the road noise you are getting with your new MXV4s" is impossible. How do you describe a noise ? Please find someone who has an LS430 with Michelin tires and go for a ride ... and then decide if you have a better tire.

How much more time will you spend here taking about your tires and the tires others have
Old 11-13-14, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I'm trying to decide between the new P7s and the Primacy MXM4 which I have on my GS now, I find the thread very interesting. Ignore the Michelin zealots...

I've had the Primacy MXV4 before on the LS430, and on my ES300 and ES350. Hard to find a quieter, smoother tire than that. BUT, I personally never saw anywhere near 60k treadwear from a set of Primacy MXV4s...40k was pushing it.

The Primacy MXV4/Premier A/S don't come in my GS' size, and I'm quite happy with the MXM4s. But, reviews would seem to suggest the Pirellis are smoother and quieter...and if I get 35-40k I'm happy.
Old 11-13-14, 05:48 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Would be very helpful if you can post after 4-6 months driving with them.
The PRO'S and CON'S of them.

Thank You.
Old 11-13-14, 06:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

The biggest selling point to me is how absolutely quiet the Primacys are. I drive most of the time with the radio off and there is no road noise to speak of. The highways are silent. Some city roads depending upon surface might be noticeable if I choose to listen. Quiet and comfortable.

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430