LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 07:09 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

if you build it they will come, so dont build it

Last edited by JffGRY706; 03-02-21 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 08:19 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

woooops......looks like I have angered another poster. Honestly I dont get it. This is a forum......The beauty of a forum is that u can click on the posts that u want to follow. I agree..... I am grinding this search for an answer into the ground.....but I will eventually get the answer that I am looking for. Along the way a few others have become interested in the same question....although in reverse......if you have no interest in my thread....I ask politely that u dont follow the thread.

Now that has been communicated......thank u for the MXV4 guys that just did a great job of explaining what kind of road noise u are experiencing. Tread wear seems to be a continuing theme as well......weird because of so many that have had awesome tread wear results.....maybe just the outcome of different lots of the tire who knows......

As for the P7s....I make mo claims on tread wear.....and I will give it to u straight as I wear through them.

Those last couple of road noise posts make me think we are talking apples and apples......like I am trying to assist MXV4 guys to maybe not switch to the P7 to think it will be more quiet.....I dont think it is...........will find out eventually.

Ummm going on to my lexus and putting in my vin huh......not sure where or how...but I will look for that search box. I did do a Carfax on my car before buying....only thing that really threw me was cam seals replaced at an early age........also I didnt like that it was sold at auction....ohh and that it had an accident that was reported ....the ole gal is sharp and clean....but has been in the hands of some skilled paint guys and detailers........
Old 11-13-14, 08:32 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I believe I up loaded a pic of the ole gal.....lets see......2004 LS430 .....135k miles
Attached Thumbnails Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430-lex-pic-re-size.jpg  
Old 11-14-14, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
...like I am trying to assist MXV4 guys to maybe not switch to the P7 to think it will be more quiet.....I dont think it is...........will find out eventually...
I think at some point a tire gets as quiet as a tire can be. The fact that the P7 may be AS QUIET as the Primacy MXV4 is saying something in itself.

The bottom line is though, the Primacy MXV4 is no more. The tires are discontinued and have been replaced with the Premier A/S, so making comparisons to a tire nobody can buy any longer doesn't make sense. In a direct head to head comparison the folks at TireRack rated the P7 as being slightly quieter and slightly smoother than the Premier A/S, while giving the Premier A/S slightly better rankings in wet traction. Seeing that a smooth and quiet ride is the most important thing to me, I'd be inclined to give the P7s a try over the new Premier.
Old 11-14-14, 09:06 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think at some point a tire gets as quiet as a tire can be. The fact that the P7 may be AS QUIET as the Primacy MXV4 is saying something in itself.

The bottom line is though, the Primacy MXV4 is no more. The tires are discontinued and have been replaced with the Premier A/S, so making comparisons to a tire nobody can buy any longer doesn't make sense. In a direct head to head comparison the folks at TireRack rated the P7 as being slightly quieter and slightly smoother than the Premier A/S, while giving the Premier A/S slightly better rankings in wet traction. Seeing that a smooth and quiet ride is the most important thing to me, I'd be inclined to give the P7s a try over the new Premier.
The Primacy MXV4 has not been discontinued. Because of it's popularity, they are still keeping in production certain sizes. We still need to see what those sizes will be. I spoke with a rep at Michelin headquarters to get a better understanding of what the future of the MXV4 will be. Certain sizes may be difficult to get and eventually will be too old for those who want them. I always like to get a tire that is no more than 6 months old, but this may be a thing of the past for those wanting the Primacy. At last count, I was told there are currently 10,000 225/55/17s in stock.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-14-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
The Pprimacy MXV4 has not been discontinued. Because of it's popularity, they are still keeping in production certain sizes. We still need to see what those sizes will be. I spoke with a rep at Michelin headquarters to get a better understanding of what the future of the MXV4 will be. Certain sizes may be difficult to get and eventually will be too old for those who want them. I always like to get a tire that is no more than 6 months old, but this may be a thing of the past for those wanting the Primacy. At last count, I was told there are currently 10,000 225/55/17s in stock.
Can't buy them on TireRack. Lexus dealer is sold out of them. Can't buy them anywhere around here, I looked for a family member's ES. For all intents and purposes, they're discontinued.

If they aren't producing them, they've been discontinued whether there are still unsold tires out there in the world or not.

99% of people are going to select from tires that one can buy in a store...and thats the Premier A/S.
Old 11-14-14, 01:12 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

It's crazy how a company with their most popular tire decides to replace it. I'm not thrilled about going from 11/32nds for the MXV4 to 8/32nds regardless of the hype about better wet traction when treads are low for the Premier A/S. When tire replacement is necessary (Just bought 4 Primacys last week) I'll worry about it.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-14-14 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 01:27 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

It's crazy how a company with their most popular tire decides to replace it. I'm not thrilled about going from 11/32nds for the MXV4 to 8/32nds regardless of the hype about better wet traction when treads are low for the Premier A/S. When tire replacement is necessary (Just bought 4 Primacys last week) I'll worry about it.
I would not buy any tire that starts with a tread depth of 8/32"
Old 11-14-14, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There have been a lot of MXV4 models. I remember when the Energy MXV4+ was THE tire for these cars. It was joined by the Energy MXV4 S8 which is still manufactured and is a crummy tire, then it was replaced by the Primacy MXV4 and now the Premier A/S. The Premier is basically the same tire, just look at the tread.

What I don't understand is why they abandoned "MXV4" in the name...or "Primacy" for that matter. Oh well...

I too was troubled by the shallow tread in the Premier. Thats one plus for the P7, it has a 10/32nds depth.
Old 11-14-14, 03:38 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I wonder if Michelin thought they were lasting too long. They wanted them to wear more quickly.
Old 11-14-14, 03:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I wonder if Michelin thought they were lasting too long. They wanted them to wear more quickly.
LOL...I doubt thats the issue. Like I said, I never got incredible wear out of them anyways. Deeper tread in general lessens handling...maybe thats it...different tread compounds might make a tire with shallower tread but equal treadwear...
Old 11-14-14, 03:55 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
LOL...I doubt thats the issue. Like I said, I never got incredible wear out of them anyways. Deeper tread in general lessens handling...maybe thats it...different tread compounds might make a tire with shallower tread but equal treadwear...
Go figure!
Old 11-14-14, 05:48 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Wow....u guys lit it up today......Glad to be back on track........Great point about the MXV4 being almost impossible to buy now....I wasnt aware of that. That is a bummer because its the only tire that we have a great base line on for the 430.....it was the " go to " tire that so many people loved. We know as much about the Premier as we do about the P7 for our cars......not enough time in the books for either tire. It will take me forever to give u guys good tread-ware feed back on the P7s because I will only drive my 430 about 7k miles per year. That being said....if anyone is ever in Virginia and wants to check my P7s out......I will gladly take u for a ride.

Interesting that no other tire has really entered this thread as a contender. On my short list was the Goodyear Assurance Comfor-tred........but after reading too many weird reviews I didnt feel comfortable pulling the trigger.....my local dealer swore by them.......
Old 11-14-14, 06:14 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought a set of p7 for moped today i peeled out due to rain traction
lit it up
Old 11-14-14, 06:16 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jpv all kidding aside you make my day with your posts
really something special thanks for the persistence makes me realize theres a tire for everyone
peace

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430