LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 09:51 AM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On the topic of the Michelin Premier vs Primacy MXV4, I was going to give up on the Primacy because since the Premier has come out they seem to be in short supply as I assume most places are just depleting their stock of the Primacy.

But when I looked at the specs of the two tires on the dealer tire site I use at work, I noticed the initial tread depth was quite different between the two tires.

The Primacy starts out at 11/32nds and the Premier starts at 8/32nds.
It got me thinking if there was an actual reason behind that, or were they just skimping on the Premiers...

Name:  hJJkt20.png
Views: 61
Size:  178.2 KB
Name:  9ulH5mN.png
Views: 61
Size:  161.6 KB
Old 10-26-14, 10:46 AM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thanks for the update

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Hey Boca.....My P7s are H rated.....the installer was kind of correct by setting the psi at 35 during install knowing that I dont drive the car often......my concrete garage floor sucked a pound or two from the tire and I ran em today at 33psi.

UPDATE.....UPDATE......UPDATE.........

Drove the car today with new P7s at 33psi a nice 70 degree day.......from Chantilly VA to Harpers Ferry WV....about a 130 mile round trip. All speeds and road types were encountered. Two things I wanted to mention............
1. Huge improvement on rolling resistance over my Kumhos....the tire doesnt hold u back....it wants to coast and feels like there is no tire drag. I found it easy to get up to speed....and it holds speed effortlessly.

2. I gave the P7 some handling tests today on ramps and tight turns.......she holds and corners better with the P7s over my Kumhos. This surprised me because when u look at the P7s....they appear to have a rounded edge vs a hard edge.......

again I listened for hard impact sounds and I would say this is a non issue with the LS430 on 17" rims

Again I was really listening hard for road noise........sure the car is quiet.......rides like a dream.....but I do hear some light road noise when driving.....I just dont know how it compares to the MXV4........
Which Hankook's were you running before the p7s? You're input is greatly appreciated, please keep us posted if you have any additional observations or opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-14, 07:51 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Galco......ummm u copied my post and asked about which Hankooks I was running prior....I think someone else may have mentioned Hankooks but not me......Im coming off of brand new Kumho Ecstas...
Old 10-27-14, 04:37 PM
Galco
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Yes, you are correct I combined a few posts in my mind. Thanks for the clarification

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Hey Galco......ummm u copied my post and asked about which Hankooks I was running prior....I think someone else may have mentioned Hankooks but not me......Im coming off of brand new Kumho Ecstas...
The Kumho Ecstas are sooth running tires as well so that is a good comparison to make to your new P7s.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-14, 06:48 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Default update

Quick update on my Pirellis..........a positive note. My car sits for days at a time without being driven. The Kuhmos would flat spot in a day or two......with the P7s.......no flat spotting. Pull her out of the garage and she is smoooooth......
Old 11-07-14, 08:02 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone trys to reinvent the wheel
if your on a budget the continental pure contact
other than that
michelin premier a/s
or primacy mxv4
the funniest thing is reading about longevity, had 3 bmw 3 lexus the michelin are the longest lasting tire on the road period
i have written many posts, if you take the longevity and the fuel savings with michelins over the life of the tire the 40$ tire savings on pirelli or the other stuff out there the michelins are not more expensive but pay for themselves
safe drivng
Old 11-08-14, 06:12 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

430lover........i have questions for you. You have tons of experience with the MXV4 and obviously love the tire. As I have stated several times in my thread....many here love the MXV4 and I am also a Michelin fan. I wasnt trying to reinvent the wheel when I chose the Pirellis.....I was trying to find the quietest tire for our car.....period. In the end I have a highly rated tire that really performs well.....but in my opinion the tire is quiet....but I think it could be a notch better. I have reported the positive and the negatives of the P7...........I have read 100s of reviews on the MXV4.......many reviews were negative..........can you report ANY negative aspect of the MXV4 such as others have reported?

How would you actually know how the MXV4 stacks up to the Pirelli unless you have tried them both?

Let me be clear.....Im not trying to push you into a corner or to stir the pot.....at all......I am trying to learn from your experience with this tire. I can only speak for the Kuhmos and the Pirellis
Old 11-09-14, 03:50 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

jpv, not stirring the pot glad you opened the dialogue and thats what the forums are about for all of us to share expereinces and knowledge. I don't have to speak about the importance of tires and vehicles in general they are the touch point to the road and most important the safety that keeps us alive. When everyone gets emotional about sub tier brands and can't hop in a car and immediately feel the difference between a kuhmo and a michelin this post is irrelevant. but someone like you that researches and is smart bought a good tire and that where this post makes sense.. Take the following factors in account, then take the $$ piece and why i and most will come up with the same conclusion.. Its the following. the combination of build quality, ride quality, wet handling, dry handling, longevity, safety against blowouts, materials used in construction, cutting edge manufacturing process, and rolling reisistance. all these factors add to one thing for the best combination of user experience and savings with gas the michelin that everyone says is more expensive at the end of the day its a wash because of how long they last and mpg. i keep trying to emphasize that point and goes on mute ears. I respect your decision on the p7 its been getting some good reviews on tire rack and consumers, watch the tire rack video on the segment they have a nice video on 4 tires were speaking about. My main issue with pirelli is when michelin was consistent over the past 20 years innovating and providing quality pirelli had hit and miss products that disappointed, i don't believe in there company when it comes to product and technology. that being said if you get 60k of reliable service, quiet ride and you desire and where the quietness does not degrade over the 60k ill be happy to hear your happy. here is where the p7 or the cont pure contact makes sense, when someone has a budget of 400 to 500 with tax in for tires and you can land a good tire at a great price, other than that invest in the best, ill even take this a step further i have had 10 sets of michelins over the years and i believe they help not being susceptible to getting flats as easy as others. can't verify this but i have traveled 800,000 miles on them and never had an issue traveling in one of the most prone areas of the country to flats, had a set of dunlops brand new and got a flat in two weeks with a nail
safe driving and most of all rest easy with the p7 its a good tire
Old 11-09-14, 04:16 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Below the summary from the video, the p 7 did very well
i live in a rainy climate and wet traction is important to me, like i said its the combo of all the factors why i choose michelin not one of the ten criteria... Summary of tire racks results below

After driving on all four tires it's easy to say it's a tight race for the top spot. Any one of these tires will deliver a nice driving experience out on the road. While we didn't have the ability to simulate worn tire performance, Michelin has put some new technology into the Premier A/S that should help it maintain it's strong wet weather performance over time. (See additional test results.) The Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology also focuses on delivering excellent traction in dry and wet conditions. The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus strives to strike a balance across all areas, and delivers a good overall blend of capability. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus excels in providing a smooth and comfortable ride, but doesn't have the wet traction to match the capability of the others
Old 11-09-14, 04:25 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

and as full disclosure the p7 did good vs michelin with mpg,
question is will it last 60k with the savings if it does i stand corrected with savings on mpg and longevity if it lasts 40k then i will be right
Old 11-09-14, 05:31 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

awesome set of replies LS430lover.......you have obviously done your research as well as have had a ton of miles on the tires. From reading a ton of reviews on the MXV4 it appears to be a great tire on heavy sedans.....but it does not perform well on AWD vehicles or the lighter smaller cars and most SUVs for some reason. Every glowing review of the MXV4 was from a heavy sedan owner. There are a ton of negative reviews for people owning the " other " vehicles.

I did some copying and pasting for those who are researching.......my guess is the tire is fantastic on the 430...........but not on these cars........

Overall, this tire performs well, but I've had better tires from Michelin. What started out as a quiet set of tires, however, has degenerated into a set of howlers on virtually all pavements above 45 mph --- the noise is worse than snow tires from the 1960's. Terrible!! I've never before considered dumping tires with so much tread left on them.
I had these tires on a Toyota Solora and loved them but on the Honda Civic I lost 4 miles per gallon…Had I known I would have never bought them. I was getting low 40's at 70 mph now I'm getting upper 30's at the same speed. Def don't buy these tires if you don't want to lose mpg. It came with Continental Contitrac. They were good when new but within a few thousand miles they roared so loud it was pitiful but I did get better mpg. Next time I'm looking at Michelin Premier A/S Something LLR
It is far too easy to spin the tires on wet pavement.
I have 20000 miles on these tires and they are very worn all across the tire. I will have to buy new tires before Winter, which is a couple of months. I would not spend this kind of money on these tires again, not worth it.
I have Michelin tires on all of my vehicles, 66 f250, 08 expedition, and Saturn. I have run Michelin for years and loved them. This set though is a different story. I only have 18000 miles on them and there is no tread left. I was happy with everything else about the tire for the most part and I usually only have good luck and satisfaction with my Michelins but not this time.
Had these installed on my 07 Camry. I drive 75% highway and was very pleased with the overall quality of the tire. I rode these down to the wear bars and they had a bit over 44,000 miles on them. I expected more, especially since I purchased these because of a review from a friend. Tires were inflated properly, alignment was okay as there was no abnormal wear. 44,000 miles and these tires were shot. Otherwise, a decent tire, but wouldn't buy again because of the short lived life.
OEM tire, not bad but not going to make it much past 40,000 miles. They have been reasonably quite and decent in the snow (take the car skiing over mountain passes quite a bit). I really like these tires on my E320 4matic and feel they are better suited tread wear wise for a luxury car than an SUV. I could probably get some warranty $ from Michelin since they aren't going to make it to 60K, but pretty sure I'm going to order something else from Tire Rack instead.
Where the OEM tires on 2011 Odessey Touring Elite. Did not like how fast they wore out. 45K miles is not much. Purchased other brand as replacements.
These came on my 2012 Pilot, and although they rode well and handled nicely in rain and snow, the tread wore out way to quickly.
I rotated them every 5000 miles and made sure I maintained proper pressure at all times because I had very short tire life with another vehicle I bought new that came with Michelins. I got to 30000 miles on this set on my 12 Pilot, and they were completely shot.
Great tire if all you care about is ride and wet road conditions, but if treadwear is important to you, look elsewhere.
These Michelin Primacy tires were installed on my 2011 Sonata 27,000 miles ago. They have been quite a disappointment considering the price. Treadwear is their best attribute. After 27,000 miles they look great. However, performance has degraded considerably. Rain traction is scary. They will spin and hydroplane even in a light rain. The traction control and stability control engage frequently now. The tires also squeal on dry pavement with any level of enthusiastic acceleration. Drive like there is an egg under the accelerator and you might be OK, but otherwise get ready for some tire spin. Essentially what you have here is a long wearing tire that is quiet and rides nice, but loses its traction characteristics quickly. These should be a real treat when the cold winter weather returns in the next few months. I would rather have a faster wearing tire that maintains most of its traction throughout the life of the tire. These may end up getting replaced well before their useful tread is gone just because of traction concerns. Not a very good value proposition in that case.
This is a good tire for areas that don't get snow or ice. The tires are just miserable in any kind of snow. I get that no all season tire is going to provide good traction or handling on ice but this one is worse than others I've had on this and other cars. It's an expensive tire but it doesn't look like it will hold up for more than 45K miles which is not too bad but the tire is rated as a 60K tread life. If you live in southern California or Florida then go for it if you can afford it. If you live in Michigan or other northern states you'll be better off getting something that can let you handle at least a little snow with some confidence. Otherwise, get this along with some good snow tires.
The only complaint I have with this tire as others have said it wore our very quickly. At 23000 miles only 4-5 32nds left. Totally unacceptable for an expensive tire rate for 60000 miles. Now the tire is noisy because the tread is getting thin.
new altama purchased in 2012. car has 27000 miles, tires rotated every 7,000 miles and 4 wheel alignment yearly. tires are noisy and are woren out. Nissan dealer will not assist with prorating tires. Tires have a 60,000 mile warranty but I did not get close to that.
I bought 4 tires for my 03 MDX. At 18,000 miles the tread depth is at 5/32. These have been the fastest wearing tires I have ever owned. I went from an all terain tire getting 19 MPG to these Low Rolling Resistant Michelin's and immediately averaged 15 MPG.
Over all this has been a horrible tire for the price. I went with the same speed rating and weight rating as specified by Acura too. The alignment has been perfect while traveling on these tires and the tires are wearing evenly across the tread section. Do not buy.
These came stock on the vehicle we purchased from the dealer. Took 3 long trips (1500 miles avg) with them and the hwy/mpg wasn't bad @ 27 mpg's. The main issue I had was how fast the tread wore on them. I was down to the ware bars at 28K @ 2 years driving. Would not recommend this tire for the price they are selling for.
These tires were rotated and balanced and the alignment was maintained but they began showing heavy wear by 25,000 miles or less. Contacted Michelin at about 37,000 miles and they wouldn't agree to any concession toward the purchase of new tires. I have never had a set of tires wear out this fast and that includes tires that were much cheaper. This is the last set of Michelin tires I will own.
Old 11-09-14, 05:34 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

sorry it pasted each quote as one.....but u guys get the idea. And if any of u read all of those quotes.......that would make u a serious tire shopper!!!
Old 11-09-14, 05:40 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

now i realized i wasted my time this am
when at 40k your replacing the pirellis calculate the cost per mile vs michelin
peace
Old 11-09-14, 05:48 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I dont understand your reply? I will assume that u didnt read my post correctly..........All of the quotes were stating Michelins were wearing quickly ....not Pirellis
Old 11-09-14, 05:58 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

i don't need to read your reply i am a car enthusiast and understand two things
automobiles and tires
and someone that is just trying to stir the pot
did you watch the video from tire rack about wet traction, unless you live in a desert climate why would you purchase a tire and save 100$ and sacrifice wet traction? does that make sense not in my book

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430