LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 03:19 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I currently have a set of Goodyear RS-A... I had an issue with my previous tires before a road trip and that's all my local tire shop had in stock.
So at this point, pretty much any tire will be a huge improvement!

Looks like I will be giving the Pirellis a shot.
Old 04-16-15, 04:01 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Hey Tbomb..........I still only have 2000 miles on my tires so pretty much brand new. I have enjoyed them and after 100 pages of tire chatter I think I determined that I feel good about recommending the tire. My guess is that the P7 and the MXV4 prob feel very similar. The nod would prob go to the P7s for being quiet and smooth and the if you like taking high speed turns in the rain u might want to lean towards the MXV4s. My car is a garage queen....so I cant report back regarding wet traction....I dont drive it in the rain....sorry. I havent found 1 negative review on the P7 plus...and have read hundreds of positive reviews......What tire do u have now? If u had MXV4s I would almost pay you to switch so I can get an honest comparison of the two tires...
Wet handling is about more than "if you like taking high speed turns in the rain". That doesn't even make sense. Nobody is out trying to do high speed handling maneuvers in rainy conditions, especially in an LS. The MUCH bigger issue (and probably bigger than ride/noise) is emergency handling and braking during an emergency maneuver in the rain.
Old 04-16-15, 07:17 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Bottom line.......one the P7s cant find one negative review out of hundreds.....not one....again this is one the P7 Plus..........this is also on multiple types of vehicles which is impressive.

Bottom line is MXV4s are great great great great tires especially on LS430 heavy seadans......but many many negative reviews on the tire...I have no idea why...and I dont make this stuff up

I really cant speak for the wet traction of the P7s....the reports rate the tire pretty darn high in wet traction. Emergency handling is important...like deer dodging or whatever....I hope I never have to be in this situation but if I am I will report back.

I will make a 100 percent true statement and I can post a pic of my old car with the tires on it....the only time in my entire life that I have hydroplaned was in my 98 acura TL with Mich Energys on it.....The car was just floating on water and it was one hell of a scary ride....happy to say after 3 big long fish tales I re gained control. Energys are not MXV4s I understand that.....This is just my personal experience.

I really dont want to get sucked back up into this tire thread again as I see all the usual characters are showing back up and nothing has changed. I have learned from a couple of the old timers that stay away from certain types of threads.......

There are a lot of facts that we can draw from regarding tires....but what makes tire threads get weird is that they are opinion based.......We have all stated out opinions.

If anyone like TBOMB simply wants my actual data on my actual tires I am very happy to give it........but other then that I am going to stay away from the stuff that occurs in this thread. TBOMB please let me know if u get the P7s and what your thoughts are.
Old 04-16-15, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Michelin makes great tires...I'm a Michelin guy. Doesn't mean other manufacturers don't also make great tires. I have a set of Toyo Versado Noir on my GS now, I prefer them to the Michelin Primacy MXM4 that came on the car. The Pirelli P7 Plus is also obviously an excellent tire, all you have to do is look at the reviews and tests to see that.

It gets to such a point of zealotry with Michelins sometimes I like to buy things that are well rated because they arent Michelins.
Old 04-17-15, 06:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The P7 is also much better rated compared to other Pirelli's in the past.
Old 04-17-15, 06:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the special thing about Michelin is they make overall very good tires. Other companies have a few models that are really good, or they are good at a certain sort of tire, but they also have some really poor tires. Pirelli is such a company, Bridgestone, Toyo, Dunlop, Firestone, GoodYear. Its hard to find a Michelin tire you can say is really poor, but even they make some mediocre tires.

But, while I generally buy Michelins I have found tire models over the years that are just as good or better, these Pirellis, the Toyo Versado Noir I have now, Bridgestone Turanza LS-V (now Bridgestone Serenity).

Another company that makes pretty uniformly good tires is Continental. They don't get as much press as Michelin though.
Old 04-17-15, 06:37 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, we'll see. Just got a call from Sam's and my Pirellis have arrived. So time to go get new rubber for the rims and see how they ride. With their special I picked up 4 new tires, mounted and balanced for $475... that is of course on my 98 LS, with smaller tires. I wish LS430 prices were the same.
Old 04-17-15, 07:57 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

SW13 it is a breath of fresh air to hear your very rational statements that come from your own personal experience. You see and can relate to both sides of the coin....not bashing any particular product or overly praising a product. Your able to state the positives and negatives of any brand in a clear and concise way. To me...that is what a forum and even a tire thread should be all about. So thank you!!!!

I couldnt agree more with the facts u stated about Mich and Pirelli. The idea here is to help fellow LS owners in this forum to make the decision that works best for them.....we dont personally care or have any interest in which tire someone ultimately purchases. However with any luck we will continue to get live data and feedback to help us w our future decisions.

When someone reports that they just got a new set of MXV4s I couldnt be happier....great decision...great tire. It just feels like if a forum member here decides to try Pirellis for whatever reason the Michelin group has an issue with this...or has to chime in.

I try to keep myself out of this...but I continue to be baffled

Anyway......LEGENDER......that price seems wayyyyyy low. There are some subtle differences in the P7s......I realize u may be getting a smaller size but something is making me think you are not getting the P7 " Plus " ......thats the one that we have been talking about.....The " PLUS " ...As SW13 stated perfectly.......Pirelli is one of those mfr's that occasionally comes out with a great tire....so u have to make sure u are getting that exact tire.....Im just trying to guide u in the right direction before u put that credit card down I will go on Tire Rack right now and check pricing ........I think I paid around $140 per tire plus all of the mount and balance fees plus an alignment......ended up around $800.00 fully loaded out the door.....My tire place insists on alignments with new tires for warranty purposes.
Old 04-19-15, 04:31 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting thoughts lately as long as someone says something good about pirellis, its a good information flow,
as soon as the truth is brought out that there not a michelin tire and verified with experts in the field that they would not put pirellis on there own cars its a case of the posts from the wood work, one thing not mentioned and should be available to all in this superb thread of sarcasm and wisdom... below will work out great for pirelli long term
Chinese chemical company buys Pirelli for $7.7B
ChemChina is a state-owned conglomerate that also makes tires. Buying Pirelli gives them access to advanced tire manufacturing and gives Pirelli a leg-up in Asia
Old 04-19-15, 04:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls430lover
interesting thoughts lately as long as someone says something good about pirellis, its a good information flow,
as soon as the truth is brought out that there not a michelin tire and verified with experts in the field that they would not put pirellis on there own cars its a case of the posts from the wood work, one thing not mentioned and should be available to all in this superb thread of sarcasm and wisdom... below will work out great for pirelli long term
Chinese chemical company buys Pirelli for $7.7B
ChemChina is a state-owned conglomerate that also makes tires. Buying Pirelli gives them access to advanced tire manufacturing and gives Pirelli a leg-up in Asia
I've read this post 4-5 times...I still have no idea what it is you're trying to say
Old 04-19-15, 04:50 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default another validation of longevity

number of newer vehicles come with H- and V-speed-rated all-season tires, which Consumer Reports categorizes as performance all-season tires. In the performance all-season H-speed-rated category, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 was its top-rated model with the Continental PureContact close behind. The Michelin performed well in most weather tests, offers a comfortable, quiet ride and has low rolling resistance. The Continental was impressive in the wet-braking test and has a good balance of all-weather performance and tread life.

Another Continental PureContact model led the performance all-season V-speed-rated group, followed closely by the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season. The Continental is an all-around good performer. The Pirelli gets top marks for handling, but its tread-life score was just fair.
Old 04-19-15, 04:52 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default the math

if a tire last 50-60k and is 40$ more a tire
and another tire last 10k less do the math your not paying more for a superior lasting, better wet traction tire especially the premier a/s.
Old 04-19-15, 04:56 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default 50% worn vs competition

I did get a chance to experience this tire in two tests. One was a 60-0 wet brake test and the other was a wet autocross course. I tested 50% worn Premier A/S tires Vs some of their competition's brand new tires. In both tests the Premier A/S out performed its competitors. That said, I didn't get to test the Premier in any dry conditions so I can't give any real world opinions on that.

When it comes to economy and performance in tires, these are usually give and take. If you want performance, you need a tire that can grip and can create resistance when you need it and if you want MPG's you need a tire that has less resistance and less grip. This tire may be a good happy medium for those things. It does offer excellent traction and some great technologies and it also has a 60,000 mile warranty.
Old 04-19-15, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But the length of time a tire lasts is only one component in selecting a tire. In fact, I don't really care how long tires last, I want the smoothest, quietest tire available. I tend to replace tires before they are technically worn out anyways, because tires get louder as they get older. Tires are cheap, no offense but $1,000 every few years for tires is nothing to me, and for an LS430 they're not even that expensive.

if you go back to the OP's first post in this thread...he too was looking for the smoothest, quietest tire available...not the longest lasting tire.

I've had multiple sets of Primacy MXV4, and I've never gotten 50-60K. Perhaps they COULD have lasted that long, but 35-40k they're down to 4/32nds which is when I replace. Sure enough, the Primacy MXM4 on my GS was down to the same place at about 35k. My guess is...the Pirellis will be too, as will my Toyos.
Old 04-19-15, 06:47 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Wow.....its like I keep having this reoccurring nightmare......this same odd behavior continues to repeat itself over and over and over.

and why would someone sell a LS430......do a huge thread about buying a new Honda Accord and all of the benefits of his new Honda Accord.......yet 6 months later still troll on an old tire thread just to say Pirellis suck and Michelins are great? Wow....and I thought I had too much time on my hands....

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430