LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The LS430 is no longer in the family unfortunately.

I just put a set of Toyo Versado Noir on the GS, very happy with them. Was going to get the P7 Plus but they were out of stock and these had a ride guarantee. The GS is definitely firmer, but it rides more similarly to the LS than I anticipated.
Old 03-01-15, 06:24 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

roger that....those Toyos sound fancy.......I have always loved the lines of the GS's going all the way back.....anyway my offer is for real. If you or any of your Lexus buddies want to try an LS with P7s on it before they buy......give me a shout. And if u know of an LS w Premier AS on it......I would give my left arm to drive one of those!
Old 03-03-15, 07:01 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Had a chance to push the new Premier on a rough, rural backroad yesterday. It's a road I've driven many times with my H-rated MVX4s. Wanted to see how the V-rated Premiers compare. Not sure if it's the tires itself or the speed rating, but the difference is night and day. At higher speeds, it feels much more stable and the handling is far bettter. Gives the car a little more of a GS feel instead of the wallowy LS feel. The only negative I noticed is that when I pushed it hard, the impacts on the rougher pavement are not as muted as with the MXV4. But then again, I was going significantly faster than I would have felt comfortable going with the H-rated MXV4s. At normal, lazy speeds, I really couldn't tell a difference.

It will be interesting to see if the excellent handling/ride/noise levels continue as this tire gets more miles on it. I know new treads is supposed to be exposed as it wears to keep wet braking distances near new levels. I'm curious if the handling/ride/noise levels will remain near the levels they are now also. If so, that will be quite an accomplishment in tire technology.
Old 03-03-15, 08:50 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Had a chance to push the new Premier on a rough, rural backroad yesterday. It's a road I've driven many times with my H-rated MVX4s. Wanted to see how the V-rated Premiers compare. Not sure if it's the tires itself or the speed rating, but the difference is night and day. At higher speeds, it feels much more stable and the handling is far bettter. Gives the car a little more of a GS feel instead of the wallowy LS feel. The only negative I noticed is that when I pushed it hard, the impacts on the rougher pavement are not as muted as with the MXV4. But then again, I was going significantly faster than I would have felt comfortable going with the H-rated MXV4s. At normal, lazy speeds, I really couldn't tell a difference.

It will be interesting to see if the excellent handling/ride/noise levels continue as this tire gets more miles on it. I know new treads is supposed to be exposed as it wears to keep wet braking distances near new levels. I'm curious if the handling/ride/noise levels will remain near the levels they are now also. If so, that will be quite an accomplishment in tire technology.
These sound like nice tires but I have always wondered which rating, H or V would be better to have on the LS. The LS is not a sports car, so I am thinking that the H rated tires would be the best choice... This is coming from a guy that buys V rated tires and has had a good amount of classic/sports cars. LOL...
Old 03-03-15, 01:09 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

I was very hesitant to got with hthe V rated. Always gone with H rated before. The tire guy really had to convince me. He had both in stock, but said that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in noise and ride quality during normal driving but that I would notice the difference in handling if I pushed it. Turns out he was spot on.
Old 03-03-15, 03:05 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent info.....the type of info that will help buyers make an educated decision. Glad to be back on track.
Old 03-03-15, 04:50 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Depends how you personally enjoy driving the car. If you desire a bit more sportiness get a V rated tire.

You know, something not mentioned much is cars with smaller rims and tires with thicker sidewalls generally have less issues with failing suspensions components. Control arms, shocks, etc... The larger the stock rims will wear your tires faster and vibration / rough road is transferred into the suspension. 16's to 17's is where it really seems start. You are lucky to see 60k miles on a 17" tire, 45k on a 18", 30k on 19" on up. 16" tires can often get 80k miles on good tires and you can look at the LS400 and how long it took for this generation to start having suspension problems. Then look at how fast our fellow 460 owners with big wheels are dealing with control arms failing. Plus they have 4 per side.... hahaha. Poor bastards. They cost a fortune and they have to deal with twice as many as the 400 and 430 have. In other words, if you buy a 460 put some 16's on it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-04-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 05:40 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to be very careful and chose my words as wisely as I can when I post this. I have responded to a couple of other tire threads prior to Bob and I having our disagreement. The ones that I usually respond to are the ones that ask about the P7s.......my intentions when I reply is to pass along my experience with the P7s and thats it. My experience with only 2k on the tires is what it is....its limited but so far very positive. Anyway I tried to keep that cool and fluffy so it doesnt look like my intentions here are to search and find negative feedback about Michelin.......it is absolutely not my intent. I am subscribed to this particular thread and I read this reply from the Tire Rack guy to a Club Lexus member...........these are not my words....nor would I make this statement......dont kill the messenger!!!!!!!!!!!
see quote

Those are two very good tires, but I would recommend the Pirellis. The Michelins have been around for a long time, and they are beginning to show their age. Their newer competitors, like the Pirellis, have surpassed the bar set by the MXM4s. The Pirellis will be smoother, quieter, and better in snow.

Yikes........now that being said.....on another thread the other Tire Rack guy said almost the opposite....I will paraphrase as best as I recall.....it hurts to say this about my beloved tire......but he was telling another member to go with the Premier AS over the Pirelli because when testing using a BMW sedan as test car.....when he took wet corners w Pirellis that the stability control kicked on several times.......and it didnt with other tires tested.

So what we can learn from these two diff opinions is there is no end all be all tire.......and everyone has their own opinion........

As much as I dont want to believe the negative comment about the P7s....I will have to test out that high speed wet corner thing so I dont end up in the trees. Who takes wet corners fast anyway
Old 03-04-15, 08:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I believe everybody knows Michelin makes a better tire then Pirelli. I mean really. They do make the best tires in the world. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. When you look at consistent ratings of a manufacturer Michelin make the best tires out there. That said, nothing wrong with the P7. It seems to have consistent good ratings. The V rated Premiers are the best all season tires out there for the LS, in my opinion.
Old 03-04-15, 09:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

On the whole there's no question Michelin makes better tires than Pirelli. That doesn't mean EVERY Michelin is. Better tire than EVERY pirelli though. I would have no issue buyin e P7 Plus.
Old 03-05-15, 06:40 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Both are great tires that would be fine for the way most of us drive the LS. Just buy the one which is less expensive...
Old 03-05-15, 08:49 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Lavrishevo........I already put my boxing gloves away Bob did all of your dirty work for you and wore me out. So I am taking the high road.

My intentions were just to relay the messages that the Tire Rack people are putting out and I posted positive and negative regarding my tire.

I wouldnt hesitate to strap on a set of Premier AS tires...I am sure they are a darn good choice. Good looking....nice warranty....long tread life.......

I had a lot of things running through my mind to say.......but an analogy popped into my head that seemed rather harmless so I will go that route.....

I am a fishermen....somedays I will be out on my boat for 10 hours straight.....I am the type of person that is not conservative ...not afraid to try new things.....so in a given day I will try up to 15 different lures to improve my catch. And usually while going through all of the lures I eventually strike gold and start catching fish when others around me are getting skunked. Sure I could just use the same lure all day every day...and sure I would catch a few fish......but sometimes it pays to keep an open mind.
Old 03-05-15, 11:22 AM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=jpv7774;8939263]

Those are two very good tires, but I would recommend the Pirellis. The Michelins have been around for a long time, and they are beginning to show their age. Their newer competitors, like the Pirellis, have surpassed the bar set by the MXM4s. The Pirellis will be smoother, quieter, and better in snow.

Yikes........now that being said.....on another thread the other Tire Rack guy said almost the opposite....I will paraphrase as best as I recall.....it hurts to say this about my beloved tire......but he was telling another member to go with the Premier AS over the Pirelli because when testing using a BMW sedan as test car.....when he took wet corners w Pirellis that the stability control kicked on several times.......and it didnt with other tires tested.
/QUOTE]

It sounds like you were beaten up over something previously, so I'm definitely not jumping on you, but I just wanted to point out that I was talking about the Primacy MXM4, and AJ was talking about the Premier AS, two different Michelin tires. I agree that opinions are just that, and by nature are subjective. I'm sure you will find some people who prefer the Premier and others who prefer the P7 AS Plus. They're both awesome tires.
Old 03-05-15, 11:39 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Theo.....nicely stated....and I stand corrected. Ya I just came out of a 12 rounder.....Im putting the gloves away. But it looks like we are back on track and we are all still learning something here.

If you read this can u shed some light on why the P7 and P7 plus would get such different reviews? Is it a different tire? How much different is it? I have learned a lot on the MXV4 and Premier AS differences...and u just shed some light regarding the MXM4......but I dont know anything about the Pirelli differences.

Also....do the Tire Rack guys have any info on how my P7 plus will age? Do they age gracefully or do they get loud as they age?

Final question.....I cant find anywhere on your site one person with an LS430 that has P7 plus tires mounted......am I looking in the wrong place or just nobody has posted. Mine are the 17" rims

Thanks
Old 03-06-15, 12:11 PM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're very welcome. Take a breather- sounds like you could use it. Glad everyone is back on track though.

The P7 and the P7 Plus are quite different tires. Whenever Pirelli uses the "plus" designation in their tire names, it indicates that the tire is not used as original equipment on any vehicle, so it is purely an aftermarket tire. Just as a general rule (don't want to make any potentially dangerous statements) OEM tires aren't great. The vehicle manufacturers get with the tire manufacturers to tune the tire for what they want for their vehicle. Typically this results in a quiet, comfortable tire that is great when the customer is test driving the vehicle on a sunny day, but doesn't do well in rain or snow, and doesn't last very long. The P7 is an OEM tire for many vehicles, and it shows. Since the P7 Plus isn't OEM on any vehicle, Pirelli was free to design the best tire they could at the price point they want, and they really hit a home run. The tire has been on the market long enough now that people are getting to the end of their lives, and so far we have not received many complaints about noise. The #1 cause of increased noise in a tire is uneven wear, so that's always something to keep an eye on, but the Pirellis do not seem to get loud on their own.

Regarding finding people who have them on their LS, I unfortunately can't help you there. The sales guys are sent all the customer reviews every week so we can read through them and get a feel of what people are saying about their tires. The customers' vehicles are listed, but they aren't sorted or organized by vehicle in any way, so I can't isolate reviews from Lexus owners. You're in the same boat on the website, too. You can look at the reviews and scroll through to try to find people with LS430s, but there isn't a more efficient way to do it.

Sorry for getting so long winded, and I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430