LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Phone holders, mounts, what have you (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 07:58 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Phone holders, mounts, what have you (merged threads)

I have 2004 LS430.....I am in the cell phone business and always use a multi articulating mount that once in correct position....u tighten screws....then adhere it to dash or console. This way when I get in my car I simply slide my phone into its mount and I am on my way. It is much safer having phone visible and firmly mounted then fumbling for it if a call comes in or otherwise........yes I understand the rules....dont text and drive........but I use my phone for GPS etc.......

In other cars that werent as nice I basically just glued my mount to a good location and went with it. With my LS430 the dash is the best looking part of the vehicle.

So has anyone come up with a nice looking spot to have their phone mounted in this car????

I tried right side of console...where glove box can still open and pass legs arent restricted......that was my number one spot.....then I started thinking about the slide out dash trey.......I could have it slide out and have my mount somehow installed inside the trey.....most likely would have to flip mount up into position then slide phone in and good to go........I like this option because it would be concealed and I wouldnt have to ruin the side of my console or dash.......

Let me know....

Thanks
Old 10-16-14, 09:44 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Windshield mount. $10. Done.
Old 10-16-14, 03:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
Windshield mount. $10. Done.
got a link of this gadget ?
Old 10-16-14, 03:36 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Go to Amazon and search for cell phone windshield mount. 126,000+ results. Take your pick!

Mine was an el cheapo at the local flea market.

Phil
Old 10-16-14, 07:00 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will try to remember to take a picture of my mount.
Old 10-16-14, 07:03 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Ha....Ya know I didnt even think of the windshield mount......Being in the cell phone business for over 20 years I have tried every gadget known to man.......my personal opinion of windshield mounts is that they look very Wallmart-ish ...I mean no offense...just have never seen a classy looking windshield mount that would match Lexus' flagship car for 2004 .......So this is what I am up to.....tonight tinkered in the garage for an hour or two.....I made from wood a block that fills the sliding console trey....the one under the cd loader in my 2004.......I guess this sliding storage door is for reading glasses or something....who knows.........anyway....I made a wood block to fill the sliding trey door to the top making a level platform. From this point I will mount my small articulating cell phone mount to my wood block w screws. I will sand the block of wood prime and paint gloss black to furniture grade level......I dont think I can produce a birds eye maple like the rest of the dash so black will have to do......with cell phone attached u wont be able to see the block of wood in the trey. Now here is the kicker.....When not in use...... ( which will be never for me ) ......U can simply pull the block out of the trey and put in center console........no damage...no holes.....no tape.....will include pics when I am finished. With this set up the phone is firmly mounted and easy to see ......
The following users liked this post:
430Dreamer (09-10-20)
Old 10-16-14, 07:46 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get one of those stickum pads and mount it on any hard surface....I keep mine behind the gearshift on the center console next to the charger. About 4 bucks on eBay
Old 10-16-14, 07:57 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

To each their own.

I guess I don't really care about how it looks so long as it's functional. It's not a permanent feature anyway.

Be sure to post photos when you are done. I didn't really follow your description. A picture is worth etc etc
Old 10-16-14, 08:07 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Ha....Ya know I didnt even think of the windshield mount......Being in the cell phone business for over 20 years I have tried every gadget known to man.......my personal opinion of windshield mounts is that they look very Wallmart-ish ...I mean no offense...just have never seen a classy looking windshield mount that would match Lexus' flagship car for 2004 .......So this is what I am up to.....tonight tinkered in the garage for an hour or two.....I made from wood a block that fills the sliding console trey....the one under the cd loader in my 2004.......I guess this sliding storage door is for reading glasses or something....who knows.........anyway....I made a wood block to fill the sliding trey door to the top making a level platform. From this point I will mount my small articulating cell phone mount to my wood block w screws. I will sand the block of wood prime and paint gloss black to furniture grade level......I dont think I can produce a birds eye maple like the rest of the dash so black will have to do......with cell phone attached u wont be able to see the block of wood in the trey. Now here is the kicker.....When not in use...... ( which will be never for me ) ......U can simply pull the block out of the trey and put in center console........no damage...no holes.....no tape.....will include pics when I am finished. With this set up the phone is firmly mounted and easy to see ......
Ya, gotta make sure your cell phone mount is suitable for a flagship car, lol.

That's a lot of trouble to build your own furniture grade unit. I keep my phone there ( with a film container at the bottom to keep the phone dropping down too far inside ) The phone doesn't fit flat, no biggie, although I am sure this would be a deal breaker for you.

Post a pic when your done. I will eat my words if you pull it off !
Old 10-17-14, 09:17 AM
peteyx
Rookie

I stick my iPhone 6 in the cassette slot.
Old 10-17-14, 10:17 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I like your attitude of refusing to junk up your car. Your idea sounds great and I'm sure it will look appropriate in your car.
Old 10-17-14, 10:36 AM
430THUNDER
Rookie

I use a magnetic holder in the cassette deck Easy to use and charge. I do real estate and need a great usable place
Old 10-17-14, 02:18 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's either
- in my pocket
- in the door pocket
- or in my seat drawer

I don't use my phone while driving. Since I can't play music on it through the stereo there's really no reason for me to have it handy. :/
Old 10-17-14, 06:00 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I would love to see this magnet in the cassette deck set up........I can even picture it.........please post a pic. The funny thing of posting a pic of your phone attached to a phone mount is.....in my case my phone is my camera. Will use my wifes phone I guess.

I have been successful fabricating my holder for my slide out trey. I have always been a Samsung fan....never an i phone guy.......I phones are just now catching up to Samsung with screen clarity...pic quality....and a big enough size to multi task with. So that being said my Galaxy S5 wont fit in the slide out trey.....it does fit sideways in the lower console trey but I cant see it sitting sideways........anyway.....will paint the proto-type this weekend and take pics to show u guys how it looks in place. My mount wont be for everybody....but for cell phone addicts like me.....its the ticket.
Old 10-18-14, 05:48 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by peteyx
I stick my iPhone 6 in the cassette slot.
Beautiful! That definitely made me smile.

Quick Reply: Phone holders, mounts, what have you (merged threads)