LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need Help Deciding

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 04:54 PM
EeeCee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Deciding

I'm very new to all this. Recently single but my husband said this is a good place for help. I have a 2004 LS430 with 21,500 miles on it. It's Pearl White. It's been a great car and is really perfect. I'm thinking of selling it only because it's 10 years old and what if something starts going wrong. It's been maintained very well. Still smells like a new car inside. My questions are how on earth do I know how much to sell it for? Where is the best place to advertise? Should I sell it at all?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-14-14, 05:32 PM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less than 30k miles on a car and you're looking to sell it? Many of us are BUYING these cars at around 100k+ miles. The way you're driving, you'd never need another car. Just be sure to do the recommended maintenance (you do not need to go to a dealer for that if you want to save money) this car will treat you right for many years to come- regardless of mere age- it's the USE that is more liable to take a toll on the car.
Old 10-14-14, 06:06 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

if your worried about the car starting to break down you shouldn't , you have extremely low mileage and these are probably the most reliable car ever built. You could sell that car for probably $ 20 grand easily but then what else would you buy ? A higher mileage newer car with more known issues?

IDK the choice is yours ,,,but if your worried about reliability and break downs you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-14-14, 07:25 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

you need to drive that thing and quite worrying.
Old 10-14-14, 08:33 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi EeeCee,

First of all, I have to say that registering on a forum to ask that question was fantastic on your part. Most people in your shoes would probably end up selling the car cheaper or trading it in to a dealer and getting ripped off. (never trade to a dealer unless you have a POS)

I must ask you though, what kind of car would you replace this LS430 with? Are you bored or tired of this car? If you are happy with the car then keep it by all means.

I still believe a used LS430 is more reliable than most other NEWER luxury car brands or even other cars that aren't even considered luxury cars. The LS is simply built to last. All you need to worry about is changing your oil and routine maintenance as with any other car. When something does go wrong it'll likely be something that's BS (like the telescopic steering motor that stops working) that you can do yourself or bring to your mechanic. I know what you're thinking, you don't want to be caught dead stranded in a questionable area when your old car breaks down. I wouldn't worry about the LS leaving me stranded unless I didn't keep maintenance up to date.

If you decide to keep it, for your peace of mind you could replace the timing belt/water pump/tensioner. Spark plugs, drive belt, and the other fluids. It likely DOESN'T need these at all at those low miles. Just make sure you change your oil with a good synthetic brand every six months or 7500 miles for good measure. If you have the air suspension that is also an area of concern but it's simple to switch over to the conventional springs when that day comes.

Now.. to answer your questions... At that mileage KBB rates the value at $22k in excellent condition depending on options. I personally think the car is even more desirable than other LS430s because of the extremely low mileage.. so I'd ask for 23k-25k if I was to list it for sale. You can try listing it on Autotrader or craigslist. But knowing that this car is capable of easily going half a million miles without major work (yes 500k miles, anyone here would vouch for that) I wouldn't sell it.

In a nutshell, like the others have said, just enjoy the car and don't worry.

AAAND lastly, welcome to the single life!
Old 10-15-14, 04:48 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a car with a ten year old timing belt.....lexus calls for it to be changed after 7 years regardless of mileage. I would do that and keep the car for ten more years
Old 10-15-14, 07:12 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Car is not even broken in yet....Would hold on to it... The look is timeless on these cars and if you don't go to the lexus dealers any more for repair or maintenance, you can find a good repair shop that works on Toyota cars and for most part they can work on Lexus models. If your looking to keep the costs down.

Keep in mind that a Lexus is just a high end Toyota and all parts on a Lexus have a Toyota part number. So the costs are not as high for normal stuff like one would think.

if you were to replace it, what where you thinking of replacing it with ?
Old 10-15-14, 09:31 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Is the initial post for real?
Old 10-15-14, 12:10 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Is the initial post for real?
Good Question