LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 – Dealer wants to replace main computer

Old 10-10-14, 12:13 PM
Ron10346
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation LS430 – Dealer wants to replace main computer

Looking for insight, advice and maybe some sympathy…
I have a 2005 LS430 with 85,000 miles; car is well maintained and driven responsibly. Over the last few weeks the car started in the morning but occasionally died immediately. When stated a second time, no problems. No engine or warning lights. Presumed it was due to the cold mornings.

A few days ago I went to start, car turned over fine but wouldn’t start. Battery is new and I tested the fuel pump relay suspecting the car was starving for fuel. Had the car towed to the dealer, after nearly 4 hours of diagnostic ($500++) I am told there is no spark reaching the engine and the car needs a new computer, parts & labor an additional $1893. Dealer says they “think” that is the problem but, if it turns out not to be the computer it can not be returned and the diagnostic process continues.

Adding to my displeasure, the warranty expired July 2014.
Is it likely the computer would go out suddenly without warning?
Has this happened to you? If so, what did you do?
Is this a reasonable course of action by the dealer and should I just suck it up?

I have to call the dealer back ASAP to give them the go ahead but was hoping for some insight or advice in advance. Thanks…
Old 10-10-14, 12:35 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is beyond my expertise but i would get a 2nd and maybe third opinion on something this drastic.
Old 10-10-14, 12:50 PM
Ron10346
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
This is beyond my expertise but i would get a 2nd and maybe third opinion on something this drastic.
Thanks for reply... The problem with that is the dealer should know more than a general repair shop. Absent going to another dealer out of county, which would require another tow, I don't know where I could optionally take it with confidence... still checking back to forum hoping for additional insight. Thanks again...
Old 10-10-14, 02:47 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a Toyota dealer. My local Toyota dealer has serviced the wife's LS for years. Practically all components in a Lexus also have a Toyota part number. Lexus is nothing more than an expensive Toyota, anyway. Besides, Toyota labor charges are far less than a Lexus Dealer.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-14, 03:20 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It definitely sounds fishy to me, and the $500 in diagnostics without an answer is troubling.

Have you done anything recently that could have fried an ECU, like jumpstarting a car or changed the battery?

I had a very similar situation, no trouble codes, and the car would randomly stall out. I did a bit of troubleshooting, but still couldn't figure it out.

Lexus dealer said they "thought" it was an intermittent fuel pump, and basically said they would eat the labor if they were wrong. They ended up being right, but it was a flat $100 or so for the diagnostics, and they rolled part of that into the job. I thought it was a very fair transaction, around $700 out the door for everything parts and labor for a new fuel pump. No problems since. I would guess a new fuel pump before a new ECU.

It really sounds like your dealership is taking you for a ride, and you don't "guess" with $2,300 on repairs without some sort of guarantee.

Get the car towed somewhere and get a 2nd opinion. Even if they are right, I would get a used ECU for substantially less.
Old 10-10-14, 08:34 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

California should be the cheapist place to get a lexus fixed except for tahara japan. seems to be the most expensive. I wonder why? this is sympathy...no help at all
Old 10-10-14, 09:27 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Take it to nearest toyota dealer. Some Lexus service departments are a little too greedy.
Old 10-11-14, 07:49 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Toyota... I would run from that Lexus dealer.
Old 10-11-14, 10:33 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

that dealer wants you to leave your credit card and they will call you when there done.
Old 10-11-14, 09:29 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumb up to rkw77080 - ECM is the last resort.............hope thing worked out and keep us posted.
Old 10-12-14, 09:43 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You are in a tough spot because the car is not operable and it is already at the dealer. That can be good to but that may bring lots of wallet hurt. The ECU issues that the LS400's have were not carried over to the components in the 430's, well as far as what has been discussed.

There are many computers in these cars so my thought is a simpler issue like an igniter, coil pack and or something related to the wiring harness that may lead to no signal being reached by the ignition system. Some of the simple parts like fuses also can be a cause. They may look good but in reality aren't. Some of us 400 guys get stumped thinking it is a big part but find that something little is at the root of the troubles.

What error codes did they get?
Old 10-12-14, 01:42 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

somethings not right. $500 for diagnostics without a real diagnosis? boy I would be asking very pointed questions about exactly what they did determine and produce for the $500. Not to be too nasty, but any shop that burns that much diagnostic time and comes up without a real diagnosis you have to wonder about their skill.

Before jumping to the computer on the car, i'd want to know exactly what codes or error indicators are they seeing. Not an expert but I have a hard time believing the ECM just fails, even intermittently and randomly, without leaving some trace of some kind internally. They should be able to see that when they hook up the obd2
Old 10-13-14, 07:11 AM
jdp1955xx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I had the same issue. It was a bad alternator.
Old 10-13-14, 11:13 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand why they are saying the new computer cannot be returned…. Once plugged in it’s no longer new. However, I find it hard to believe that they do not have a used known good computer to swap out for test or access to a repaired computer…..

To me that’s the next step for them to take, If they don’t have one there, the need to get their Fed Ex account number out and overnight one in from another location or from the company that they send out this unit for repair to confirm serviceability of your unit.

Just me thinking out loud. But after $500 and they still can’t tell you the issue, it’s time for them to get creative and solve your issue. If they prove to you the unit is bad, then fine, maybe pop for the new one. I would still be looking at repaired, refurbished, remanufactured, whatever you want to call it to bring your car back on line
Old 10-13-14, 10:14 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I cant believe $500 for diagnostics. i have never paid a dime for any diagnostic testing ever in 15 yrs of going to the dealer for service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS430 – Dealer wants to replace main computer