LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ok, how do I find what bulb is out ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-14, 05:45 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Update: I called a Toyota dealer and went through Amazon for the part number for the bulbs (00234-00192)to assure I had the correct bulbs and ordered 12 of them (for about $1.00 each, vs 2 of the comparable bulbs for $5 a wally world).

Started in the back, replacing bulb by bulb, every set, I would stop, test the lights and continue. After the 4th bulb, I found it. It was a cheaper bulb (maybe a 3.8w one ?), it did work but, caused the light to come on.

With about 8 bulbs left, I have enough for the life of the car, hope to never see this issue again, what a headache.
The following users liked this post:
jazzygirl (06-04-23)
Old 11-28-14, 12:26 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Update: I called a Toyota dealer and went through Amazon for the part number for the bulbs (00234-00192)to assure I had the correct bulbs and ordered 12 of them (for about $1.00 each, vs 2 of the comparable bulbs for $5 a wally world).

Started in the back, replacing bulb by bulb, every set, I would stop, test the lights and continue. After the 4th bulb, I found it. It was a cheaper bulb (maybe a 3.8w one ?), it did work but, caused the light to come on.

With about 8 bulbs left, I have enough for the life of the car, hope to never see this issue again, what a headache.
Could have bought just one brake bulb and went to each socket to test which one was the culprit. If it was more than one, then you could have bought whatever was needed afterwards.
Old 11-29-14, 06:09 PM
reozone
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to add my two cents worth. Our 2001 LS430 has been experiencing the exact same symptoms with a taillight out message and all taillights apparently working just fine. I just got done ordering some Toyota 00234-00192 bulbs online and will be replacing them one at a time as soon as I get them in the mail. I did notice that both of my front side marker lights are out so I'll be replacing them anyway. I also don't seem to see any front parking lights on. It will be interesting to find out who the culprit is. Nice to know that front bulbs can be creating the problem.
Old 11-30-14, 10:37 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by reozone
Just wanted to add my two cents worth. Our 2001 LS430 has been experiencing the exact same symptoms with a taillight out message and all taillights apparently working just fine. I just got done ordering some Toyota 00234-00192 bulbs online and will be replacing them one at a time as soon as I get them in the mail. I did notice that both of my front side marker lights are out so I'll be replacing them anyway. I also don't seem to see any front parking lights on. It will be interesting to find out who the culprit is. Nice to know that front bulbs can be creating the problem.
My front marker lights are out, trying to figure out how to fix them. They did not cause the light to come on. After replacing all the "mini" bulbs in the back, it fixed it. Maybe it was me being cheap when I went into a store, as the correct ones are $5 and the other are $3...

I ordered 12 from Toyota and still have like 6-7 left, so I wont worry about it any more
Old 12-05-14, 01:41 PM
reozone
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DavidinCT, here's a quick follow-up. I got my genuine Toyota bulbs in the mail yesterday and started replacing the 4 back bulbs. No change with the two on the truck lid. When I replaced the two on the rear quarters, my problem magically went away! Since all 4 replaced bulbs were now mixed together, I did a visual inspection under magnification and could see no difference. I then measured the cold resistance on all 4 bulbs and got 4.7, 4.9, 4.9, and 5.7 ohms. The bulbs I replaced these 4 with measured 3.2 ohms. It then dawned on my that, as the bulbs age, the filaments become ever so slightly thinner due to outgassing of the Tungsten. This in turn increases their resistance. Apparently, the 5.7 ohm bulb was high enough to trigger the taillight warning. At this point, having replaced all 4 back bulbs is a good thing since the new bulbs will go many more years before triggering that nasty message again. Case closed. Of course, I still have to replace the burned out ones in the front, which apparently do not cause an error message. Thanks to StanVanDam, I now know how to do that.
Old 12-05-14, 02:11 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by reozone
DavidinCT, here's a quick follow-up. I got my genuine Toyota bulbs in the mail yesterday and started replacing the 4 back bulbs. No change with the two on the truck lid. When I replaced the two on the rear quarters, my problem magically went away! Since all 4 replaced bulbs were now mixed together, I did a visual inspection under magnification and could see no difference. I then measured the cold resistance on all 4 bulbs and got 4.7, 4.9, 4.9, and 5.7 ohms. The bulbs I replaced these 4 with measured 3.2 ohms. It then dawned on my that, as the bulbs age, the filaments become ever so slightly thinner due to outgassing of the Tungsten. This in turn increases their resistance. Apparently, the 5.7 ohm bulb was high enough to trigger the taillight warning. At this point, having replaced all 4 back bulbs is a good thing since the new bulbs will go many more years before triggering that nasty message again. Case closed. Of course, I still have to replace the burned out ones in the front, which apparently do not cause an error message. Thanks to StanVanDam, I now know how to do that.
Many years ago, I replaced the front side corner lamps with # 194 LL (long-life) bulbs - they're difficult to replace so I only wanted to do it once. They work fine and no dash warning lights.
Old 01-04-15, 10:14 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Is there a bulb here at the yellow reflector too? I saw a light on here the other day when the parking lights were turned on but now it's not coming on...

Old 01-06-15, 06:45 PM
aypues
Instructor

anyone know about another bulb here on the yellow reflector? if yes, is it difficult to change out?
Old 01-06-15, 07:20 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
anyone know about another bulb here on the yellow reflector? if yes, is it difficult to change out?
Yes, the light bulb behind the yellow reflector is called "Front Side Marker Lamp". Take a look at Post #10 on the below link for head lamp removal instructions, and Post #11 which shows the 2 lamps on the underside (the large one is the turn signal lamp, the smaller one is the side marker lamp)... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8157201
Old 01-07-15, 10:43 AM
aypues
Instructor

Thank you RKW! That doesn't look the easiest.
Old 01-09-15, 12:27 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aypues
Several years ago, I was able to replace my front corner bulbs (for yellow corner lamp) from underneath by removing / loosening part of the plastic shield at that location and getting my arm up in there. My recollection is that those bulbs are not monitored by the electrical system to show a warning on the dash when they are out.
wnyjazz (04-15-18)
Old 01-09-15, 12:49 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

On '01 - '03 LS, the 5-watt tail light bulbs are subjected to abuse every time the trunk is closed - due to the shock and vibration from closing the trunk lid, the filament in those bulbs gets broken easily and often. (The '04 and up LEDs across the tail light assemblies for the most part alleviated this problem, though you still can have LEDs go out.)
wnyjazz (04-15-18)
Old 01-09-15, 04:48 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom57
Several years ago, I was able to replace my front corner bulbs (for yellow corner lamp) from underneath by removing / loosening part of the plastic shield at that location and getting my arm up in there. My recollection is that those bulbs are not monitored by the electrical system to show a warning on the dash when they are out.
That is also how to change the fog lights too... Its winter, I want to change it but screw that when its 20 or less out.... it will wait for spring