LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ok, how do I find what bulb is out ?

Old 10-06-14, 06:50 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts
Default ok, how do I find what bulb is out ?

My 2001 LS every time the headlights lights come on, I get a Taillight out message on the dash, I checked all the bulbs, everything is working and is on.

I confirmed this by looking myself, bringing to a auto place and even my wife looked at it, no bulbs are out but, I still get this message...

How do I figure out exactly what bulb has an issue besides pulling them out one by one and replacing them ? Will TechStream tell me exactly what bulb is out or registering as a problem(I picked it up on ebay with cable, have not tried it yet) ?

This is driving me nuts......
Old 10-06-14, 07:03 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light out

Did you check the bulb in the back window?
Old 10-06-14, 07:12 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by alanchad
Did you check the bulb in the back window?
The 3rd break light ? If so, yes

and it comes on as soon as the lights are turned on (for example, driving and the auto lights come on or I manually turn them on).

If it was a break light, it would not show up till you hit the breaks.....as I have seen this before.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 10-06-14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 09:29 AM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@DavidinCT. I had that happen to me. 2002 LS. None of the taillights looked to be out. I had to take each one out to find out which light was out. Hard to see from the outside. There might be a better method but this worked for me.
Old 10-06-14, 09:39 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I had that problem on an old BMW I had. I think it turned out to be the bulb terminal that corroded enough to register a fault, but the bulb got enough juice to light up.
Old 10-07-14, 05:40 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Oh, is this going to be...Replace every bulb to find it (prey I get lucky on the first one) type of thing ?

Riddle me this.....I have Toyota TechStream (Toyota dealership software with the adapter for the car) will this show what light is out ?

My trunk is perfect, So no moisture or anything like that. In fact if you look in my trunk It looks brand new...

Ugh, this does not sound like a fun project...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 10-07-14 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-08-14, 05:29 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

It is generally the dual filament bulbs, such as the back-up lights that go first. It can be very difficult to detect.
Old 10-08-14, 05:58 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check reverse lights?
Probably plate lights also?
Old 10-09-14, 06:22 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Did you check reverse lights?
Probably plate lights also?
Riddle me this. Just like break lights, it will not notify you that it's out till you use it. For example, if the lights come on (auto) while I driving, I wont see a message but, as soon as I touch the breaks, the light will come on. This should be the same way for the reverse lights, no ?

The plate lights were replaced (in try to trouble shoot this, as one light was out), both with brand new, OEM spec bulbs, they are not that.

If I am driving the car and I flip on the lights, within 1 second the taillight message comes on, as I am not reversing or stepping on the brakes, my logic here would tell me, it's not the reverse or break bulbs.

Am I incorrect in thinking this way ?
Old 10-09-14, 09:15 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So if the lights turn on in auto and you get no failure message what gives? In this case you touch the brakes and the failure is indicated right?
I would look for a poor ground/poor connection in one of the bulbs where the bulb still works but the failure is triggered. This can be diagnosed further by removing each bulb and giving the bulb a shot of WD40 in the socket as well as a little wiggle on the wire. Also, take a look at the bulb and see if the filament moves when shaken.
Old 10-09-14, 10:45 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by chunkyda
So if the lights turn on in auto and you get no failure message what gives? In this case you touch the brakes and the failure is indicated right?
I would look for a poor ground/poor connection in one of the bulbs where the bulb still works but the failure is triggered. This can be diagnosed further by removing each bulb and giving the bulb a shot of WD40 in the socket as well as a little wiggle on the wire. Also, take a look at the bulb and see if the filament moves when shaken.
As I said. the lights are set in "Auto" so as soon as the lights come on, the message pops up on the dash (I was using the breaks as an example when those lights would show up).

Oh, Well, I will pull out each bulb, check them and put them back in if they are still working. One by one...ugh...

I guess this part of my weekend project....got 50K things to do and this just adds another one to the list..

I have Techstream here, I will plug that in first and check the whole car, maybe it will give a little incite to what bulb is out (crossing fingers on that one)
Old 10-15-14, 09:58 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I went through your same exercise. Even though the message says "taillamp failure", this message applies to the little bulbs in the headlamps. There are small bulbs at the very bottom of the headlamp assembly that are difficult to tell if they are burned out. You need small hands to reach them, otherwise you need to pop out the entire headlamp assembly.

Do not replace any of the headlamp or taillamp bulbs with LEDs, not even the CANBUS-error-free LEDs, they will still throw the message.

In fact, spend the 70 cents at the dealership for the proper 5W T10 bulbs (00234-00192) that will last 12 years each. Make sure they are not the 3.8W T10 bulbs (00234-00194) - the detection system looks for a 5W draw from those headlamp/taillamp T10s.
The following 2 users liked this post by StanVanDam:
jazzygirl (06-04-23), wnyjazz (04-15-18)
Old 10-19-14, 01:46 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
I went through your same exercise. Even though the message says "taillamp failure", this message applies to the little bulbs in the headlamps. There are small bulbs at the very bottom of the headlamp assembly that are difficult to tell if they are burned out. You need small hands to reach them, otherwise you need to pop out the entire headlamp assembly.

Do not replace any of the headlamp or taillamp bulbs with LEDs, not even the CANBUS-error-free LEDs, they will still throw the message.

In fact, spend the 70 cents at the dealership for the proper 5W T10 bulbs (00234-00192) that will last 12 years each. Make sure they are not the 3.8W T10 bulbs (00234-00194) - the detection system looks for a 5W draw from those headlamp/taillamp T10s.
Interesting, one would think with the tech even in this 2001 car that it would/could tell exactly what bulb is out and at least tell if it was front or back...

I'll double check the front to see if I can see any that is out in the front...in fact I might go buy 10-12 of those bulbs and go around the car and replace them all. It's possable at one point I might of replaced a bulb witht he same sytle but, wrong bulb. If they will last for like 12 years, the odds are I will have another car in few years (had this car for 10 years now), so I wont have to worry about it again.

Looking at the books for tail lights for the LS430, it gives MUTI and does not show exactly what bulbs to replace it with.

Edit, looking over the car, Is there a missing bulb that I dont see ? Both sides are exactly the same for what bulbs are lit and what are not.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 10-19-14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 02:37 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Yes, there is a light in that corner. See my picture at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8157201 - this is my passenger side headlamp assembly.

I replaced that corner lamp on the passenger side without removing the entire lamp. However, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get at that same corner light on the driver side. You would have to remove some fuse boxes and/or remove the entire headlamp.
Old 11-03-14, 06:07 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Yes, there is a light in that corner. See my picture at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8157201 - this is my passenger side headlamp assembly.

I replaced that corner lamp on the passenger side without removing the entire lamp. However, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get at that same corner light on the driver side. You would have to remove some fuse boxes and/or remove the entire headlamp.
Can you access it via the wheel well (removing a few screws and pulling back the well) ? like you can the foglamps ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ok, how do I find what bulb is out ?