LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

$220 each for Tranny Fluid change and rear diff fluid change? Fair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 01:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts
Default $220 each for Tranny Fluid change and rear diff fluid change? Fair?

I feel that's sorta high, although this is the Beverly Hills Lexus location.

I have an '04 and I know it's technically "lifetime" fluid, I want new tranny fluid. I just moved to LA and it's NOTHING but stop and go, stop and go, etc. The tranny still shifts beautifully, as smooth as when I picked her up, but I would feel better with new fluid.

She mentioned a flush, but wouldn't a drain and refill be better? The message was left on my answering machine so I'm not 100% sure that's what she meant.

How do those prices sound? $220 for rear diff fluid? That seems high. Is this an easy job for an indy to do? I don't trust anyone but Lexus with my transmission but the rear diff I would get done by an indy.

BTW '04 with 111k. Never changed tranny fluid, been at least 50k since the diff fluid has last been changed. Car runs beautifully.
Old 10-02-14, 01:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

About double what it is in Atlanta. My local dealer is $99 for the transmission and I believe the differential was either $50 or $75
Old 10-02-14, 02:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
About double what it is in Atlanta. My local dealer is $99 for the transmission and I believe the differential was either $50 or $75
I'm not even sure if I need the diff change....it doesn't say anything in the service manual about changing it--just inspecting it.

And I'm a little nervous about messing with the tranny fluid also. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not sure if I want to stir up everything in there. A drain and refill sounds better, but she didn't mention that, just a flush, which I'm not so sure is a smart idea.
Old 10-02-14, 03:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Depends on how long are going to keep your car. Can you get 200k on the original fluid? Probably. But it will degrade the clutches in the transmission to the point of failure. Lexus has service intervals for the transmission everywhere else in the world. Most dealers recommended your service each of those units at least every 100k. Remember, the idea that the fluid won't breakdown is total fiction. Check Toyota dealers as well. I have had my transmission done twice. About 10k miles apart.
Each time the shifting improved. Everyone who does the work comments on the improvement. Its really a no brainer. Have both this units drained and refilled.

If it ain't broke don't fix it apply to your engine oil?...

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-02-14 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 03:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Depends on how long are going to keep your car. Can you get 200k on the original fluid? Probably. But it will degrade the clutches in the transmission to the point of failure. Lexus has service intervals for the transmission everywhere else in the world. Most dealers recommended your service each of those units at least every 100k. Remember, the idea that the fluid won't breakdown is total fiction. Check Toyota dealers as well. I have had my transmission done twice. About 10k miles apart.
Each time the shifting improved. Everyone who does the work comments on the improvement. Its really a no brainer. Have both this units drained and refilled.

If it ain't broke don't fix it apply to your engine oil?...
No, of course not; that's done every 5k like clockwork. But I don't think I've seen ONE thread about transmission failure on here. And I'm all for switching out the fluid, but I'm really not sure if a flush is a good idea. Based on all my research, etc., it seems to drain and fill would be the better choice. The tranny has had the same fluid for 10 years and 110k, so I think there's a possibility that completely flushing everything out may "shock" the transmission and possibly cause some issues. Like I said, it shifts great now...absolutely no issues.

Yes, I plan on driving this car into the ground. I can't wait to see just how long she lasts. Here in LA even '90'92 1st gen LS400s are all over the place--some beaters, and some that still look great.
Old 10-02-14, 03:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I just called back and had a detailed conversation with the SA. She said that they will check the old fluid first for metal or debris, how bad the fluid looks, etc. and then they decide whether to do a flush or not. She said they don't do drain and refill.

She also said she's heard of trannys having problems after a full flush, but with her old jobs of other makes of cars; never with a Lexus

I've called my SA back in Knoxville and asked him the same questions, so we'll see.
Old 10-02-14, 03:59 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd bet a Toyota dealer will give you a better price and for sure they will do it right.

I have a 2005 and I had both fluids changed at 100,000 miles An independent did the diff, cost me $125. It was easy if you have a hoist, which I don't so it was worth it to me. My tranny is sealed, yours I believe is MUCH easier so an independent should be easily able to drain and fill it.
Old 10-02-14, 04:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stu
I'd bet a Toyota dealer will give you a better price and for sure they will do it right.

I have a 2005 and I had both fluids changed at 100,000 miles An independent did the diff, cost me $125. It was easy if you have a hoist, which I don't so it was worth it to me. My tranny is sealed, yours I believe is MUCH easier so an independent should be easily able to drain and fill it.
Mine is sealed, too. 2004--06 had the sealed tranny. I'm gonna call a Toyota dealer, though. Lol.
Old 10-02-14, 04:31 PM
shaloo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I mention ...

The differential is so easy, a gas station can change it. The tranny may be sealed (my 06 is) so normally no maintenance is recquired except under special circumstances. If it were me, I would change it by draining and refilling which mixes the new fluid with the old that will remain in the torque converter etc. If you feel strongly about it, you can then drive it a while and then redrain it and refill again. It will get cleaner each time. However, you really need to ensure your timing belt was changed. The recommended change interval for my LS430 is 90K miles. You have an interference engine, if it breaks, your engine is toast. That is probably more important to have done than the tranny and differentail combined.
Old 10-02-14, 04:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shaloo
The differential is so easy, a gas station can change it. The tranny may be sealed (my 06 is) so normally no maintenance is recquired except under special circumstances. If it were me, I would change it by draining and refilling which mixes the new fluid with the old that will remain in the torque converter etc. If you feel strongly about it, you can then drive it a while and then redrain it and refill again. It will get cleaner each time. However, you really need to ensure your timing belt was changed. The recommended change interval for my LS430 is 90K miles. You have an interference engine, if it breaks, your engine is toast. That is probably more important to have done than the tranny and differentail combined.
Timing belt, WP, idlers, tensioners were changed last year @ 102k miles. Timing belt looked almost new.
Old 10-02-14, 07:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Lol, called a Toyota dealer and they can do both jobs for $300 flat.

Not sure how much experience they have with the 6spd tranny, though. Do any toyotas use our transmission?
Old 10-02-14, 07:37 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, same transmission. Toyota will do it right. There is nothing's sealed about the transmission. It just lacks a dipstick.
Old 10-02-14, 08:02 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I personally would put off the rear differential if you changed the fluid 50k miles ago. And $220 for that particular service is about double the going rate.
Old 10-03-14, 08:26 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Way too much for those services, especially the rear diff.

My mechanic in Orange County charges 30 for labor and then you can provide the differential fluid yourself. It's pretty simple drain and fill.

The transmission fluid service is cheapest at Longo Lexus which runs around 180 with a AAA discount. However, my independent mechanic quoted me something around 30-45 for labor + the cost of the 4 qts of WS fluid, which many Toyota dealers have on parts specials every month.

My mechanic is a previous toyota mechanic and owns and works on toyotas and lexuses almost exclusively.
Old 10-04-14, 01:13 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I have 92k on my '05. the diff has been done a few times and last time was$70. I have not done my transmission yet, but am looking for some kind of fluid exchange and will avoid anything with flush in it.

Quick Reply: $220 each for Tranny Fluid change and rear diff fluid change? Fair?