LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Windshield washer button replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 12:01 PM
dstarcher
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield washer button replacement

The windshield washer button on my 2005 LS430 popped off. The retaining clips are broken. I called the local dealer for a replacement and he told me that they only sell the entire combination switch (both turn signal and wiper control arms) as a unit for about $350. All I need is the little plastic button that should be about $1. Can anyone help me find a replacement for this washer control button? I have attached two pictures to clarify the part. Appreciate the help!
Attached Thumbnails Windshield washer button replacement-washer-button.png   Windshield washer button replacement-washer-button-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
SUNRISEFIR (03-07-22)
Old 09-24-14, 04:39 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Can't see the details of the missing clips. Are they plastic and is it possible that model airplane plastic glue and some hand made clips can be glued on?
Old 09-24-14, 07:17 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think I would try doubled sided tape first
Old 09-25-14, 08:49 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a real bummer. Probably a stock Toyota item as they all look the same. Maybe a junk yard Camry or Avalon or Tacoma will be cheaper to pull your own button from one about to be crushed.
Can you take a better photo with the light behind you so we can see what that thing looks like. Did you find the broken off plastic? Doubtful it is repairable.
SUNRISEFIR (03-07-22)
Old 09-26-14, 09:26 AM
dstarcher
Driver School Candidate

I have not been able to find the tips that were broken off. Basically it's a small barb facing outward so that when inserted, it stays put in the slots of the control arm. I found the spring/electrode that activates the washer motor and it works fine, but without this little button, it is prone to fall out easily. I suppose it's worth looking around at local recycling yards to see if I can get just the button.
Old 07-14-15, 02:02 PM
jjfleck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Windshield Washer Button 2004 LS430

Originally Posted by dstarcher
The windshield washer button on my 2005 LS430 popped off. The retaining clips are broken. I called the local dealer for a replacement and he told me that they only sell the entire combination switch (both turn signal and wiper control arms) as a unit for about $350. All I need is the little plastic button that should be about $1. Can anyone help me find a replacement for this washer control button? I have attached two pictures to clarify the part. Appreciate the help!
I put a small narrow piece of duct tape over the outside of the button to affix it to the shaft. It holds the spring in place and is not very noticeable, but hell will freeze over before I go to the dealer to spend $350 plus labor charges. Meanwhile, I'll try to check the salvage yards, but that's a longshot. Hard not to be bitter that Lexus would treat their customers this way for a one dollar part.
Old 06-21-16, 02:02 PM
TPSTulane
Driver School Candidate

Default Easy and simple fix that works great!

Take a very small dental rubberband or a rubber washer that is similar to a rubberband. Run it around the button but through both slots so the band can't go up too high and stays in place. Take a fine flathead screwdriver or a hard thin piece of plastic and carefully work the rubberband down while inserting the button. Once seated in place it won't let the button fall out, the rubber is hidden and it works better than the original design. And it also looks factory since there's no use of tape. Good luck.

Last edited by TPSTulane; 06-22-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 09:21 AM
ncoutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Hello,
Likely ancient history for you but i have the same problem with my ls 430 wiper control. Like yours, the little plastic cap came off. I'm curious how you were able to confirm operation of your washer spray. I've tried depressing the little steel thingy that is now exposed under where the cap was. how do i access the "spring/electrode" to operate motor?

Thank in advance,

Nick
SUNRISEFIR (03-07-22)
Old 12-05-18, 09:23 AM
ncoutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dstarcher
Hello,
Likely ancient history for you but i have the same problem with my ls 430 wiper control. Like yours, the little plastic cap came off. I'm curious how you were able to confirm operation of your washer spray. I've tried depressing the little steel thingy that is now exposed under where the cap was. how do i access the "spring/electrode" to operate motor?

Thank in advance,

Nick
Old 12-05-18, 05:39 PM
LexuStix
Driver School Candidate

Default Didn't fall out but stuck in

Not to hijack or change the subject much but I have a similar problem. When I bought my car I failed to check this item and of course....
Its pressed in and will not come back out. Was going to start a thread on this yesterday and saw this and figured I'd add to it. Any ideas on a fix or is it a total replacement just for this? I can't use the wiper fluid at all. Fluid is still in there and all the fuses are good. Pump is still connected I believe as well. Obviously the spring in there is not doing its job. Either that or the previous owner tried something that didn't pan out.
Any help appreciated. Thanks guys

Last edited by LexuStix; 12-05-18 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 05:41 PM
LexuStix
Driver School Candidate

Here's a pic of the button.
Old 12-09-18, 11:44 AM
ncoutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Respectfully, this picture link seems to be broken.
Old 12-09-18, 06:44 PM
LexuStix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ncoutlaw
Respectfully, this picture link seems to be broken.
Ok thank you. I'll try to reload.

Last edited by LexuStix; 12-09-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-09-18, 07:39 PM
ncoutlaw
Driver School Candidate

For the record, I resolved my problem today. I found a guy with a junker 2004 ls430 and gave him 40 bucks for the wiper/turn signal control. Yet another reason to love these cars. It is so very easy to find used parts that would otherwise cost big$$.
Old 12-09-18, 07:57 PM
LexuStix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ncoutlaw
For the record, I resolved my problem today. I found a guy with a junker 2004 ls430 and gave him 40 bucks for the wiper/turn signal control. Yet another reason to love these cars. It is so very easy to find used parts that would otherwise cost big$$.
Lucky you. I can't seem to load the picture. Gets to 90% then stops. Argh.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer button replacement