LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sport package detection

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 11:40 PM
FamilyGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sport package detection

I plan to buy ls430. I need it with normal suspention (no sport or UL)
I cannot find a way on how to detect sport package on ls430. Sport package changes suspention and adds 18" wheels. The best way I found so far is to find a car with 17" factory wheels or custom luxury package. But there are a lot of cars with 18" on market. And 18" does not necessary mean it has the sport package.
Having test drive not always can give the answer. Of course, if you have two cars with diffent suspention to drive one after another - you can tell the diffence. But on the test drive you just drive one on unfamiliar road.
Do you know an easy way to detect sport package on ls430 04-06? Is there something in suspention I can check to be sure it is not the sport one?
Old 09-16-14, 05:46 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

I don't know if this applies to all model years, but my '05 has this badge just behind the front wheel arches on either side. Why are you opposed to the sport suspension?

Old 09-16-14, 05:55 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

UL's will be obvious via the rear seat AC package.

Majority of the LS's produced have the regular suspension. The ride quality between the sport and regular suspension is really about the same. The sport suspension will demonstrate less body roll in corners and maybe just a slightly firmer ride.
Old 09-16-14, 06:19 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That sport badge is probably the easiest thing to look for. The location is indicated in this thread by the front wheel: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-regular.html
The front springs are different part numbers
The rear shocks (for instance) have a different part number: 4853080141 SHOCK ABSORBER, REAR STRUT (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE), SPORT PACKAGE
4853059845 SHOCK ABSORBER, REAR STRUT (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE)
The rear sway bar is different, probably a mm or two thicker.
The rear upper control arm is also a different part number
On a car that is 8-10 years old at this point they all probably ride stiffer than when new. Happy Hunting!
Old 09-16-14, 06:32 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I think the sport badge as above and the 18 inch tires on my 2004 model give it away.
Old 09-16-14, 09:32 AM
FamilyGuy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your replies!
Originally Posted by FlaPhil
... badge just behind the front wheel arches on either side...
Good point! That's the easiest way to check. I hope they glued the badge on all sport suspensions.
Originally Posted by chunkyda
The front springs are different part numbers
I will definitely go under the car. I hope shocks have stickers. Thanks for the numbers!
Originally Posted by FlaPhil
... Why are you opposed to the sport suspension?
I'm a big fan of "town car" type ride. Normal suspension is the most soft. It is even softer than UL.
Old 09-16-14, 12:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It may feel softer because the shocks are worn out. The older they get the softer and more bouncy the car will feel. It's really not a good thing. Longer braking distances and it can cause uneven tire wear. The adaptive air suspension was the best Lexus offered as far as comfort and the ability to make it more sporty for mountain roads and such. It's also the most expensive to repair if purchasing new air-shocks.
Old 09-16-14, 02:26 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink I own both cars

I have a 2003 without the sport suspension. It has the 17 inch wheels, but upsized tires and 70 K miles. I also own a 2002 with sport suspension, 17 inch wheels and 65 K miles.

I can barely tell the difference between the two cars. I really thought there would be more of a difference although I'll bet the "Sport Suspension" is safer and handles better. Lots of other things I'd check for first when looking for one of these cars.

I agree with you on the "Air Suspension"; costs a lot to change it over. I always thought that whole idea made no sense, especially if the car was more than a couple of years old.

Old 09-16-14, 03:51 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey friend, my LS sport does not have the badges on the sides.

If all else fails you could always take the VIN to Lexus and have them run it to tell you what package it is.
Old 09-16-14, 11:35 PM
FamilyGuy
Driver School Candidate

It looks like bringing the VIN to dealership is the only option. At least some of sport packages will be filtered by the badge.
Old 09-17-14, 09:40 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Go online to mylexus, register, and then ask for a copy of your original equipment list.
Old 09-17-14, 10:06 AM
FamilyGuy
Driver School Candidate

That would be the fastest way to detect the sport package if the badge is not on the car. Thanks!
Old 09-17-14, 11:07 AM
JSDND1980
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
I plan to buy ls430. I need it with normal suspention (no sport or UL)
I cannot find a way on how to detect sport package on ls430. Sport package changes suspention and adds 18" wheels. The best way I found so far is to find a car with 17" factory wheels or custom luxury package. But there are a lot of cars with 18" on market. And 18" does not necessary mean it has the sport package.
Having test drive not always can give the answer. Of course, if you have two cars with diffent suspention to drive one after another - you can tell the diffence. But on the test drive you just drive one on unfamiliar road.
Do you know an easy way to detect sport package on ls430 04-06? Is there something in suspention I can check to be sure it is not the sport one?
It'll have the sport suspension badge on the front fender just behind the wheel well.
Old 09-17-14, 06:52 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2 Visible Differences

My MXV'4's on my premium LS with 17's wore on all 4 inner edges even with align specs right on I was told at 200k inspection( I did not grasp right away why it was happening but saw it.) I took it to large frame/alignment shop and they talked about an extra step like shims or something for like 150 bucks on top of the realignment needed at 200k but said the Yota dealer had it spot on the rack(does this make sense). Rotating the tires made them all wear the same this started gradually at 170k to 200 k. Tell ya the truth it still did not seem mushy compared.

I sold it for an 04 Sport with 18's and I of course compared them and test drove the Sport 3 times one week for 100 miles and it grows on ya. On the HWY it drives so nice you notice no defecite but the rear suspension travel seemed tighter over big bumps and rollers but no bother maybe a few times a week. I find it can corner 5-7 miles faster or so.

Now my buddy Pete has an 05 ML with 120k when he drove my 04 ML Sport 80k same wheel size. He was just praising it up and down when he drove it compared to his wife's and we did more in town handling driving. His MXV4's had more tread.

We both looked at his wife's white LS and my flint in the lite and we asked each other that same question, how can ya tell the difference looking from the front knowing the badges are on the side. We though the 18" ML compared to the 04-06 18" Sport ML you would also see the owner of the Sport smiling wider ear to ear. We thought are the only 2 visible differenceslol.
Old 09-23-14, 09:10 PM
FamilyGuy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Go online to mylexus, register, and then ask for a copy of your original equipment list.
Could you please tell how exactly to ask for a copy of original equipment? I registered a vin on drivers.lexus but cannot find how to request it.

Quick Reply: Sport package detection