LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

buying an LS, oem nav or Pioneer double din?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 11:20 PM
356redux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying an LS, oem nav or Pioneer double din?

Hey guys I'm getting ready to buy an 05-06 LS for my wife. I have been researching alot and CL has been the best source of info. Thanks for that. I can t decide between buying a car with the stock NAV unit and backup camera or getting a non nav car and adding an aftermarket Pioneer double din. On one hand is the oem nav and camera with bluetooth and i only need to add an aux in and I'm good. Or switch out to a pioneer with all the latest bells and whistles. My concern is the location of the double din unit with the dash kits I've seen. For the guys that have one, do you feel it is too low on the dash to use without taking your eyes off the road?
Old 09-08-14, 06:10 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Non nav and goin aftermarket is the way to go. The stock nav is outdated and have a decent failure rate with age also the climate control is in the stock nav which is a pain.

Find a premium package and do your own.
Old 09-08-14, 07:06 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I disagree on the failure rate. Overall, the longevity is quite good. Most of the failures with the nav units are related to degraded weather stripping allowing water into the trunk where the unit lives and not the unit failing because of an inherent problem. As far as being outdated, this is very true.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (09-12-20)
Old 09-08-14, 07:37 AM
andys57
Rookie

One disappointment I have is that the Mark Levinson in my 2005 will not play MP3 files. Would love to able to condense the number of CD's I have to carry....
Old 09-08-14, 08:07 AM
wuznme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andys57
One disappointment I have is that the Mark Levinson in my 2005 will not play MP3 files. Would love to able to condense the number of CD's I have to carry....
VaisTech.... will allow that and more..
Old 09-08-14, 08:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have OEM nav with the beatsonic kit to run my pioneer non nav double din but has bluetooth.
Old 09-08-14, 08:42 AM
jdotlim
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I disagree on the failure rate. Overall, the longevity is quite good. Most of the failures with the nav units are related to degraded weather stripping allowing water into the trunk where the unit lives and not the unit failing because of an inherent problem. As far as being outdated, this is very true.
the look is outdated, but you can upgrade the CD and it shows all the new roads and POI.

I like the look of the stock nav. Mine works perfect, and i wouldn't change it. i would add an AUX so i can play my phone. that's about it.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (09-12-20)
Old 09-08-14, 10:28 AM
356redux
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input guys. So the maps can be updated to the current Lexus mapping? Or are you only able to update to a certain version? I work at a custom car shop and the aftermarket radio is no problem for my techs, I'm just worried about the lower location of the screen vs the oem. If it was my car it would be aftermarket for sure. But since the wife will mostly be driving it I don't think it will be a big issue to keep oem as long as mapping isn't out of date. I could care less about the looks of the navigation as long as the info is current and i can easily just add an aux in from Vaistech. Any body with the double din feel like its too low on the dash?
Old 09-08-14, 04:01 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nope, its perfect if you rest your hand on the shifter like i do. all the buttons are easy to reach.
Old 09-08-14, 06:42 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I have yet to see ANY OEM nav unit that is 1/2 as good as a $200 Garmin. And the Garmin has lifetime map updates too.
Old 09-09-14, 08:29 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 356redux
Thanks for the input guys. So the maps can be updated to the current Lexus mapping? Or are you only able to update to a certain version?
You can update all Lexus/Toyota vehicles to the latest version of the maps. However, you will have an older version of the hardware and firmware so it will still have a somewhat dated look and feel. Nevertheless, for the wife, definitely go stock!
Old 09-09-14, 07:46 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not quite ALL Lexus. Some are too old and no longer have updates available.
Old 09-09-14, 08:23 PM
mikedc26
Driver School Candidate

I would go Non- Nav and add a double dinn. Check out my build. Adding a double dinn Pioneer screen with a app called ARLiberator you can control your phone with your screen. Meaning everything you see on your phone you will be able to control on the head unit ie touch screen.

ARLiberator is awesome because you can be connected on Google maps on your phone a navi and it will appear on your head unit
Old 09-10-14, 06:27 AM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikedc26
I would go Non- Nav and add a double dinn. Check out my build. Adding a double dinn Pioneer screen with a app called ARLiberator you can control your phone with your screen. Meaning everything you see on your phone you will be able to control on the head unit ie touch screen.

ARLiberator is awesome because you can be connected on Google maps on your phone a navi and it will appear on your head unit
Do you have a link to your stereo build
Old 09-10-14, 05:38 PM
mikedc26
Driver School Candidate

Gooshster

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...-mezzos/page-1

Quick Reply: buying an LS, oem nav or Pioneer double din?