LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS 430 Navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 04:31 PM
chazman325
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 LS 430 Navigation problem

Help! My Nav is black, gives various messages such as "the external system is not connected", check the condition of air conditioner," etc. Some of the climate display and radio display go dark along with black screen. Backup camera seldom works...Radio will go off and on and off, intermittantly, sometimes no volume control, mirrors will not return to level after backing up. AC still works but I leave it on all the time......... Just a lot of weird and intermittent problems.

This all started after an extreme cold snap and ice storm in Texas.

A new unit is way too expensive, as is reman, and worry about the same problem if getting a used unit somewhere. Does anybody have a reasonable fix for this?

Love the car otherwise!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 09-04-14, 11:21 AM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman325
Help! My Nav is black, gives various messages such as "the external system is not connected", check the condition of air conditioner," etc. Some of the climate display and radio display go dark along with black screen. Backup camera seldom works...Radio will go off and on and off, intermittantly, sometimes no volume control, mirrors will not return to level after backing up. AC still works but I leave it on all the time......... Just a lot of weird and intermittent problems.

A new unit is way too expensive, as is reman, and worry about the same problem if getting a used unit somewhere. Does anybody have a reasonable fix for this?

Love the car otherwise!

Read this ad,its expired but the guy posted his phone number at the bottom of description

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-LS-GS-ES-IS-RX-LX-GX-SC-250-300-330-350-430-460-470-NAVIGATION-REPAIR-/181491432173?vxp=mtr
Old 09-04-14, 12:28 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman325

Love the car otherwise!

Don't assume its the Nav system. With the varied symptoms you describe, it doesn't appear to be the actual Nav player unit in the right-side of the trunk well. The on-dash screen is like a TV screen - like having a cable TV box, DVD player, etc. plugged into it to show info. There are numerous systems in the LS that utilize the in-dash screen to show info, not just the Navigation, including radio, back-up camera, and climate controls. It could be the screen, which can be replaced, but the screen is not the Nav system. Given that the symptoms started after weather-related moisture, I'd start by checking all fuses (both sides of front foot-wells). Pull and re-insert each fuse to make sure that each is properly connected and completing the circuit. Make sure none is blown, of course. You should also do the same with fuses in the engine block area (under hood). Next I'd check the connections to the screen itself (behind the screen).
Old 09-05-14, 03:04 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

For approximately $99, you can have Lexus diagnose it for you.