LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 10:54 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Interesting. The last set of Kumo's I had lasted about 25k miles. But this was not on a LS. Those have good ratings. 600 tread which is only 20 less then the mxv4's. Let us know how they wear.
Old 09-02-14, 11:05 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
16's on an 05? You must aftermarket rims? 38 psi is pretty high for a car spec'd at 32. For a long time I was driving at 34 - 35 for that little less rolling resistance but the car feels better at 32. Both with absorption of road bumps and less lateral movement at high speeds. Only 2 - 3 psi can really make a difference.
OEM LS400 Rims. No clearance issues either. Probably can go even higher sidewall if you really wanted to. I was considering 235/65R16's before. The size that Minivans use =)
Old 09-02-14, 11:48 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kumho ecsta lx platinums are what I had before I switched to the defenders. They were excellent in wet conditions, however road noise became an issue along with fast treadwear. I just don't think they can last long on heavy vehicles. For our Honda Accord we had they were perfect, plenty of treadlife and still quiet tires when we sold the car.
Old 09-02-14, 07:33 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What size Defenders are they on an 05?
Old 09-02-14, 08:31 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of great advice offered here and I'll cetainly use all of it doing my research. Thanks to all!
Old 09-03-14, 07:05 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
What size Defenders are they on an 05?
Mine are 225/55R17. take note they are not as cushy as the MXV4 type, since it is a thicker, harder rubber compound. You sacrifice a bit of ride comfort for tread life, but was a great improvement from the Kumho platinums I had previously.

Last edited by Marklouis; 09-03-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-03-14, 02:23 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 in most sizes is being replaced by the Michelin Premier.

Having driven on both, the Michelin Premier is a fantastic tire as well. What's different about the Premier than any other tire on the market, is that as it wears, it maintains traction levels and drivability where as any other tire tends to 'fall off' as it wears.

Michelin did a fantastic job at creating a new industry standard with the Premier. If you have loved the Michelin Primacy, you would also love the Premier.
Old 09-03-14, 08:11 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
The Michelin Primacy MXV4 in most sizes is being replaced by the Michelin Premier.

Having driven on both, the Michelin Premier is a fantastic tire as well. What's different about the Premier than any other tire on the market, is that as it wears, it maintains traction levels and drivability where as any other tire tends to 'fall off' as it wears.

Michelin did a fantastic job at creating a new industry standard with the Premier. If you have loved the Michelin Primacy, you would also love the Premier.
AJ:

I was looking at tires on your site last night and came upon the great reviews for the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. What is your experience with this tire? Would it be a good choice for the 2002 LS430 (225/60/16). I value a quiet, smooth ride above all else, and the Pirelli's seem to be tops in that dept. Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-03-14, 09:27 PM
notwealthy
Driver

I sell tires and the biggest complaint I hear on michelins is their tread life. They say 90k mile warranty but I've seen people wear them out in under half that. And that's with regular tire rotations. I think you get very little value for the price of Michelins. I think Uniroyal has great value with their touring tires and is often overlooked.
Old 09-04-14, 07:21 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ceedub53
AJ:

I was looking at tires on your site last night and came upon the great reviews for the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. What is your experience with this tire? Would it be a good choice for the 2002 LS430 (225/60/16). I value a quiet, smooth ride above all else, and the Pirelli's seem to be tops in that dept. Thanks for any advice!
Overall, I liked the Pirelli when I did testing on it a few months ago against the Premier, but I fear it will be come loud as it wears. This is somewhat a trait to most Pirelli tires and I hope they have cured it with the P7 All Season Plus. I am still a little hesitant to recommend it because of that reason alone. The Michelin Primacy has a very strong history of being a great tire throughout its life. The technology in the Premier is amazing to tire geeks like myself and really can't be compared to any other tire on the market in my opinion. It's sort of in a league of its own right now.

Links:
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus being discussed

Michelin Premier being discussed

Originally Posted by notwealthy
I sell tires and the biggest complaint I hear on michelins is their tread life. They say 90k mile warranty but I've seen people wear them out in under half that. And that's with regular tire rotations. I think you get very little value for the price of Michelins. I think Uniroyal has great value with their touring tires and is often overlooked.
The only Michelin tire I'm aware of (I offer) with a 90k mile warranty is the Defender, and which case I almost agree with you. I think half mileage is a bit far stretched. It seems 60k miles is about what most see out of the Defender, and as a customer, I too would be upset if I only saw 60k out of a claimed 90k mile tire.

The Primacy being discussed generally will see close to the 60k miles, which is what the warranty of the Primacy is.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ@TireRack.com; 09-04-14 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 08:50 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
The only Michelin tire I'm aware of (I offer) with a 90k mile warranty is the Defender, and which case I almost agree with you. I think half mileage is a bit far stretched. It seems 60k miles is about what most see out of the Defender, and as a customer, I too would be upset if I only saw 60k out of a claimed 90k mile tire.

The Primacy being discussed generally will see close to the 60k miles, which is what the warranty of the Primacy is.

-AJ
Yup you're spot on with that. The complaints seem to be coming from Defender owners. Also people who by tires at Costco ...but that's a whole other can of worms.
Old 09-04-14, 08:59 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

The Costco/Walmart/Sams Club Defender is a different tire than I (and probably you) offer.
Old 09-04-14, 02:27 PM
forthewin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Primacy MXV4's in 225/60R16 was my tire of choice...
Now running yokohama avid ascend 235-50-18 on replica rims
Old 09-04-14, 06:30 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The Defender may lack in handling also it is a t rated tire.
Old 09-06-14, 04:17 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

As an update, I purchased a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires this weekend from America's Tire (aka Discount Tire). They gave me a sweet deal. The tires were ordered as they did not have my size in stock so I should get them Monday. Big shout out to everyone here on the LS430 forum who offered their opinion and advice. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)