LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 05:51 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
The Defender may lack in handling also it is a t rated tire.
Yes it does. I had mine ordered from tirerack and installed by NTB. I would only recommend for the average take it easy driver. Now my GS460 will only always have ultra-high performance tires, period

Originally Posted by ceedub53
As an update, I purchased a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires this weekend from America's Tire (aka Discount Tire). They gave me a sweet deal. The tires were ordered as they did not have my size in stock so I should get them Monday. Big shout out to everyone here on the LS430 forum who offered their opinion and advice. Thanks!!
Great deal and give an update when you can!

Last edited by Marklouis; 09-08-14 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 07:26 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Turanza

I have had the hankook than went to primacy. Today I went to serenity plus. Spent a year with Hankook 2 with Michelin both are good tires think the Michelin was better. After one day the Bridgestone tires are nicer yet. Will have to see after many more miles.
Old 09-23-14, 03:00 PM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zapola6
Just a follow up on the Michelin's Primacy’s I bought May 2013, I have put 25,000 miles on them in the last 10 months. They are doing well; still what I consider to be quite and smooth ride with well over 50% tread left.

Bought them at Discount Tires and I do rotate & balance every 5k rather they need it or not. I really haven’t noticed a difference after having them balanced and rotated. So I would say they are wearing and doing nicely

I have had no issues on the snow and ice. In fact for a rear wheel drive car I cannot remember slipping the tires this year in winter driving.

My only complaint, when the car sits overnight they will flat spot, within 3 or 4 miles it’s gone. It’s just kind of annoying. I probably will buy again unless someone can convince me otherwise.

And another follow up...

Well the Michelin Primacy’s MXV4 hit 40,000, 80% highway driving, average speed for the past year 50MPH with average 23.8 MPG… I took it in the other day for balance and rotate and for giggles I had the tech check remaining tread depth… I love asking questions I already know the answers to especially young kids, he confirmed my 5/32 to 6/32 remaining. OK, I asked will Michelin warranty out at that depth, they did.

I certainly could have gotten another 5K to 10K. They were not going to make it to 60K as advertised. I just had no interest in driving older tires through a Colorado winter. These tires did and very good job in winter driving, I did get stuck once, my own fault (another forum perhaps called dumb $*$% I did).

The ride was still good; however the old tires had started to get a little noisy for my taste, but still reasonably quite. I was given a 30% credit per tire and a $70 mail in rebate and put Michelin Primacy’s MXV4’s back on.

There was a difference going from tires with 40K to new tires, noise was less, felt like a little more grip and somewhat noticeable difference in ride, will my wife notice…..??? Doubt it!

I went through Consumer Reports and a few other review sites, Michelin Defender was Consumer Reports top rated along with the Michelin Primacy MXV4(H). I thought about the Defender, decided to stay with tried and tested.

So my question, has anyone out there tried the Michelin Defender / 90K tread life warranty? Just sounded like a long time to be stuck with something that I might not be happy with, nor did I have a desire to risk less MPG’s.

Pennies for thoughts……
Old 09-23-14, 06:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Defenders T Rated
Old 09-23-14, 08:02 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

This is a simplification because other factors are involved, and tire compounding technology has significantly advanced, but the basic rule on tire construction is that longer wearing tires must be built with a harder rubber compound on them. So as always when you peel back the layers past the marketing hype, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The softer the rubber on the tire, the faster the tire tread will wear out. But a softer rubber tire tends to stay pliable in cold temps and will ride softer with better grip. If I lived up North I'd personally avoid tires with the 60k+ warranties. I'd rather have a little softer rubber tire for ride and handling particularly at lower temps, even if I have to sacrifice some tire wear and less miles. Manufacturers could easily build a tire that would last 100k+ miles using super hard rubber compounds, but it would not be a pleasant experience driving those miles particularly in freezing temps.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-23-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 10:34 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Siping technology has made even the harder compounds good choices though as it seems the better rated tires in all season category last a long time and handle weather and heat nicely. The Michelin Hydroedge with 80k rating on my van was an awesome tire up here in the Frozen Tundra. Don't buy high mileage cheap tires though.
Old 09-25-14, 06:46 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Like the Sumitomo H/X is 225/55/17 for 102$ on TR and a 50 dollar rebate. Siping is minimal. I think well done siping is a real improvement with new manufacturing processes. It has a 70-90k rating tread is prolly like superball density watch the bumps yu'll get airborne..
Old 10-12-14, 02:41 PM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever the tires that came with the car are due to be replaced I use Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. Quiet tire with 30 psi and good mileage, both gas and tires.
Old 01-23-15, 02:27 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogy
Any recommendations on the best (sound/smooth/all weather - rain/snow/spring) tires for my 2004 LS430? (stock rims/sizes)...a friend said the Kumho ...
I listened to a friend and bought a set of Kumho Ecsta Platinum. Absolute garbage! Twisted belts in one of the tires created a pull to the right, that disappeared when I rotated the tires front to rear. They flat-spot horribly each and every time I park the car. The first 15 minutes of every drive has my hand jiggling and dancing on the steering wheel as these horrible tires flap and bounce around. They smooth out after 15 minutes of driving. I hate them. Now I have to figure how to return, sell or scrap a brand new set of tires and buy something reasonable. Very frustrated!
Old 01-23-15, 06:39 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tires last a long time if cared for correctly.

Get the Michelin Primacy V4 and you won't regret it. The tire will give you it's life before it's bald. Very great in rain too
Old 01-24-15, 05:15 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got a set of 16" MXV4 at Costco installed for $560. Can't beat that and I just had them and went 51k and had probably a good 5k left, but deal was good now so just changed them now. They were not down to wear bar yet. I drove about 60%/40% city/high on them.
Old 01-24-15, 07:38 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having Pirelli Cinturato P7 all seasons installed as I type this. Picked them up on close out from Tire Rack at $118 including shipping. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 01-24-15, 08:27 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson
I'm having Pirelli Cinturato P7 all seasons installed as I type this. Picked them up on close out from Tire Rack at $118 including shipping. Anyone have experience with these?
There's another thread going on for this tire. Seems to be good for the price.
Old 01-24-15, 08:33 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson
Here's the P7 thread ... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-my-ls430.html
Old 01-24-15, 09:04 AM
forthewin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires

Very happy with Yokohama AVID Ascend Tires 235/50R18 97V

Quick Reply: LS430-Tire tires discussions (The Mother thread)