LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 transmission drain issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 12:20 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I don't know where your coming up with this never has there been a transmission failure thing. Do you work for Lexus? Do you work for Aisin? Are you just guessing? As mentioned, it's your preference. Lab testing and user reviews have all come to the same conclusion. Anyway, it's quite revealing that only Lexus in United States calls it a lifetime fluid. RED FLAG. Everywhere else in world has fluid intervals. Including Canada, Mexico, etc. There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid. I will tell you one thing. Show me a 430 with a 300k on the original transmission without ever changing the fluid. I suggest you call Aisin and see what they have to say. This whole idea of a lifetime fluid is totally ridiculous. Ask almost any Lexus tech and the will tell you the same thing.
By the same token the burden of proof is on you to show that changing trans oil in the 6-speed prolongs life. Yes lab tests have been done showing oil contents, but that doesn't translate to failed transmissions. Show me one instance where someone's LS 430's transmission failed due not changing the oil. By the same respect, I can show several instances ( like this thread) where problems arose due to tampering (albet it incorrect oil levels) resulting in hard shift, slipping etc. 300,000 miles is still in the future so until someone has reached that mileage you nor I can attest either way.
Old 09-06-14, 01:03 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
By the same token the burden of proof is on you to show that changing trans oil in the 6-speed prolongs life. Yes lab tests have been done showing oil contents, but that doesn't translate to failed transmissions. Show me one instance where someone's LS 430's transmission failed due not changing the oil. By the same respect, I can show several instances ( like this thread) where problems arose due to tampering (albet it incorrect oil levels) resulting in hard shift, slipping etc. 300,000 miles is still in the future so until someone has reached that mileage you nor I can attest either way.
I'm not going to argue with you. Drink the Kool-Aid if you want. Aisin, the manufacturer, has always recommended changing the fluid. Lexus says you should change the fluid in every other part of the world besides the United States. Owning a LS400 for some years I am also very familiar with how well the Aisin transmission will last if properly serviced. People who don't service the transmission will usually loose it between 200k and 300k. Those who take care of it have gone over 500k miles on the same gear box. Lexus services my transmission and recommends the drain and refill every 60k.

Also, it's the metal content and the break down the the additives in the WS fluid that the lab test clearly demonstrate. The clutch pack additives are extremely important to the performance of the transmission. Of course there is some risk to servicing any component. If done improperly you run the risk of failure. This is why I have Lexus do the service.
Old 09-07-14, 09:06 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I'm not going to argue with you. Drink the Kool-Aid if you want. Aisin, the manufacturer, has always recommended changing the fluid. Lexus says you should change the fluid in every other part of the world besides the United States. Owning a LS400 for some years I am also very familiar with how well the Aisin transmission will last if properly serviced. People who don't service the transmission will usually loose it between 200k and 300k. Those who take care of it have gone over 500k miles on the same gear box. Lexus services my transmission and recommends the drain and refill every 60k.

Also, it's the metal content and the break down the the additives in the WS fluid that the lab test clearly demonstrate. The clutch pack additives are extremely important to the performance of the transmission. Of course there is some risk to servicing any component. If done improperly you run the risk of failure. This is why I have Lexus do the service.
I agree with you but sometimes people just like to troll different forums. If people think you don't have to change your vehicles fluids, then they really are pretty slow, if you get my drift... LOL.
Old 02-13-15, 12:32 PM
daGOAT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I do drain and fills and always measure what drains out and I refill with the same amount. Usually its around 3 quarts... This is the best way to change fluid in the LS430's...
I'm gonna bump this from the dead...Do you do your trans drain and fill cold? Reason I ask is because I have access to a lift but I have to drive to get there. By the time I get there the trans is warmed up and volume of the fluid drained will be different (not sure by how much) compared to the fluid being filled because of the temp difference. So I wouldn't be able to get the exact volume replaced.
Old 02-13-15, 12:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by daGOAT
I'm gonna bump this from the dead...Do you do your trans drain and fill cold? Reason I ask is because I have access to a lift but I have to drive to get there. By the time I get there the trans is warmed up and volume of the fluid drained will be different (not sure by how much) compared to the fluid being filled because of the temp difference. So I wouldn't be able to get the exact volume replaced.
The volumetric change due to temperature is insignificant, don't worry aobut it.
Old 02-13-15, 01:20 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The volumetric change due to temperature is insignificant, don't worry aobut it.
agree with that. On the other hand, I've always drained after a good long drive, on the assumption that heated fluid would flow better, and therefore you'd get more out. I have no real data to support that assumption however.
Old 02-13-15, 01:36 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Level car and topping off the ATF fluid once ATF fluid temperature reaching operating temperature is what you ought to focus on. After all, your current fluid level may be low. The LS430 ATF level check is done after fluid reaching operating temperature NOT cold. Warmer fluid helps the fluid to drain quicker, like motor oil. The warmer fluid will actually be slightly higher than a cold fluid level.
Old 02-13-15, 02:03 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If you measure the ATF fluid that was drained out after it has cooled down you can ignore any volumetric expansion based on hot fluid drain and put back in the exact same amount of new fluid based on measurement of cooled fluid.
Old 02-14-15, 03:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Check the directions in the main thread, heating the transmission to the proper temp after you refill is the best procedure. This allows you to double check the fluid level. It has happened with others on the forums who have not properly refilled the transmission because it would not take the proper amount of fluid all at once. Heat until proper temp, run it through the gears once or twice and check level again before you finish and put the covers back on. Remember to disable the air suspension if you have it and your engine is on with the wheels off the ground. Pull the fuse for the compressor.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-14-15 at 04:10 AM.