LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 transmission drain issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-14, 08:04 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Maybe u should have left it alone like the owners manual recommends. My first 04 LS430 (before it was totaled) had 196,000 miles, transmission oil never changed, and it was smooth as silk. Never a problem.
To late for that. LOL... These tranny's need drain and fills.
Old 08-31-14, 08:58 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't want to start a heated debate, but this thread just reinforces my strategy of just following the manufacturer and letting it be a lifetime fluid. On other cars, I would do a drain and fill.

I honestly think far more damage was done to the transmission with an improper fill that whatever was gained from a little bit of fresh fluid. My understanding is you also have to use a dealer scanner when you change the fluid to do it properly. Also, the way you fill these seems awkward, I can easily see an improper amount being filled, especially a flat rate tech just trying to get the car out of the bay as quickly as possible.

Maybe I'll pay the price someday, but I have around 150k miles on the original fluid and it shifts perfect. My dealer didn't want to do a drain and fill when I bought it, it felt silly for me to try and overrule them. I'd love to see a poll of people who have never drained the transmission fluid on these cars but eventually had to replace the transmission.

If I had purchased the car new and got at it early, I probably would have changed the fluids, but at this point, I think I'm only asking for trouble.

You can find a low mileage LS430 transmission for around $600, an install probably doubles that figure. I'd rather just take my chances and see what happens, it's not going to break me financially if it goes out at 200k miles.
Old 08-31-14, 11:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Check out the big drain and refill thread Coulter. Aisin, the manufacturer of the transmission, does recommend it be serviced. It was designed to be serviced. Only in the United States does Lexus call it a lifetime fluid. Everywhere else it has Lexus service intervals. This also applies to the ls460. Most US Lexus dealers are now telling you to service between 60 and 90 thousand. It's actually rather disappointing Lexus would call it a lifetime fluid in the US alone to keep the owner cost down.

Anyway, if it is not serviced properly then it will not shift properly. Personally, I want my transmission to get to 400k.
Old 08-31-14, 02:47 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On a related question about Toyota WS fluid.

Is Aisin ATF Type WS the same as Toyota's?

How about Beck/Arnley's?

see pdf for aisin's pdf on their fluids.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ATFBrochureComp.pdf (296.6 KB, 223 views)
BEC252-2006 MSDS.pdf (46.7 KB, 303 views)
BEC252-2006 Data Sheet.pdf (3.70 MB, 355 views)
Old 08-31-14, 02:51 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Check out the big drain and refill thread Coulter. Aisin, the manufacturer of the transmission, does recommend it be serviced. It was designed to be serviced. Only in the United States does Lexus call it a lifetime fluid. Everywhere else it has Lexus service intervals. This also applies to the ls460. Most US Lexus dealers are now telling you to service between 60 and 90 thousand. It's actually rather disappointing Lexus would call it a lifetime fluid in the US alone to keep the owner cost down.

Anyway, if it is not serviced properly then it will not shift properly. Personally, I want my transmission to get to 400k.
Let me put it this way, would you personally guarantee me not to have an issue in the next several months if I went to the dealer and at 150k miles had the fluid changed and replace my transmission it if it had an issue shortly thereafter?

Because if you're willing to sign such a guarantee and put your money where your mouth is, I will do it.

Obviously I'm kidding, but be honest, it's a risk. I know I would not take that bet and if a transmission shop was smart, thy'd make you sign a waiver or refuse to do it. That's probably why my dealer said no to it. Several people on this very thread have said they had the fluid changed and had issues shortly thereafter. Maybe it was all mechanic error, but that is a real risk you take even at a dealership. The changing procedure is pretty elaborate, I've seen all sorts of times when dealer techs have taken shortcuts.

Also, you make the assumption that the fluid is the reason why transmissions break. That's sort of like saying if someone has engine problems, it's purely because they didn't change their oil enough. There's a lot more to it than just fluid life.

Also, there are mechanical devices with closed systems that can last a really long time on the original fluids. I have an AC system on a rental property that is on its original oil and Freon charge that's still going strong after 30 years.

I'm really not trying to convince someone either way, if you feel better about changing it, great. I'm not saying you're wrong about changing it. I'm just saying you have to recognize there is some risk when you have high mileage and no history of it being changed.

Personally, I would have preferred to have gotten a 5 speed transmission with conventional fluids that were more easily changed.
Old 08-31-14, 04:08 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe u should have left it alone like the owners manual recommends. My first 04 LS430 (before it was totaled) had 196,000 miles, transmission oil never changed, and it was smooth as silk. Never a problem.
Pamp.

I think otherwise considering how dark the trans oil was when I did the drain and refill. With Japanese cars I am a firm believer of draining the trans oil to keep it running at its best performance. Again this is a preventive measure. You may well get hundreds of thousands of miles with the original trans fluid without change but why not run it with cleaner fluid to maximize optimum performance and life of your trans.
Old 08-31-14, 05:29 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Drained my '02 LS last week at 94k miles and it was way too dark for my comfort. This after it was supposedly completely drained and refilled by a dealer at the 50k mile mark. I had no tranny issues whatsoever prior to the drain/refill last week. On the other hand, i coulda swore it shifts better now that I have two drain/refills done in the last week but what else would I say after spending $ on the fluid. Its still not coming out as red as I'd like so I'll continue, probably a couple more cycles.
Old 09-02-14, 06:52 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Pamp.

I think otherwise considering how dark the trans oil was when I did the drain and refill. With Japanese cars I am a firm believer of draining the trans oil to keep it running at its best performance. Again this is a preventive measure. You may well get hundreds of thousands of miles with the original trans fluid without change but why not run it with cleaner fluid to maximize optimum performance and life of your trans.
Because the owners manual didn't recommend it giving my driving habits and even saw fit to term the fluid as "lifetime". Furthermore there has NEVER (to my knowledge) been an issue with anyone's 6-speed transmission due to oil not being changed. But there ARE issues that have been reported since the change, hence this thread.
Old 09-02-14, 08:22 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Doing any maintenance incorrectly is going to cause issues... Using new/fresh correct fluids will only improve the chance of the component/vehicle lasting longer. Concerning the Aisin transmission, do drain and fills. Aisin recommends ATF fluid changes.
Old 09-06-14, 01:32 AM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Because the owners manual didn't recommend it giving my driving habits and even saw fit to term the fluid as "lifetime". Furthermore there has NEVER (to my knowledge) been an issue with anyone's 6-speed transmission due to oil not being changed. But there ARE issues that have been reported since the change, hence this thread.
Again the reason why I had the problem was that I didn't refill to correct level. As that issue has been fixed, the car does shift much smoother. It's preference, if you don't mind having your transmission work on dirty oil that's your call.

Many cars are known to have lifetime/sealed transmissions but in forums you find many owners that still take the precaution and do drain and refills.

In fact I just went to my local Lexus dealer and they had suggested drain and refills for this vehicle. Again some dealers may say otherwise.
Old 09-06-14, 04:43 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Again the reason why I had the problem was that I didn't refill to correct level. As that issue has been fixed, the car does shift much smoother. It's preference, if you don't mind having your transmission work on dirty oil that's your call.

Many cars are known to have lifetime/sealed transmissions but in forums you find many owners that still take the precaution and do drain and refills.

In fact I just went to my local Lexus dealer and they had suggested drain and refills for this vehicle. Again some dealers may say otherwise.
True, but unlike Lexus, those cars also have a reliability history that can't be trusted. Once again, there has never been a reported failure of a Lexus 6-speed transmission that didn't follow the lifetime (no need to ever change it for most driving habits) fluid procedure described in the owners manual.
Old 09-06-14, 07:46 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

True, but unlike Lexus, those cars also have a reliability history that can't be trusted. Once again, there has never been a reported failure of a Lexus 6-speed transmission that didn't follow the lifetime (no need to ever change it for most driving habits) fluid procedure described in the owners manual.
Its your car. your choice... Its like telling people not to smoke, and we know how that usually turns out. LOL.
Old 09-06-14, 08:33 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know where your coming up with this never has there been a transmission failure thing. Do you work for Lexus? Do you work for Aisin? Are you just guessing? As mentioned, it's your preference. Lab testing and user reviews have all come to the same conclusion. Anyway, it's quite revealing that only Lexus in United States calls it a lifetime fluid. RED FLAG. Everywhere else in world has fluid intervals. Including Canada, Mexico, etc. There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid. I will tell you one thing. Show me a 430 with a 300k on the original transmission without ever changing the fluid. I suggest you call Aisin and see what they have to say. This whole idea of a lifetime fluid is totally ridiculous. Ask almost any Lexus tech and the will tell you the same thing.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-06-14 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-06-14, 08:44 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lavrishevo
i don't know where your coming up with this never has there been a transmission failure thing. Do you work for lexus? Do you work for aisin? Are you just guessing? As mentioned, it's your preference. Lab testing and user reviews have all come to the same conclusion. Anyway, it's quite revealing that only lexus in united states calls it a lifetime fluid. Red flag. Everywhere else in world has fluid intervals. Including canada, mexico, etc. There is no such thing as a lifetime fluid. I will tell you one thing. Show me a 430 with a 300k on the original transmission without ever changing the fluid. I suggest you call aisin and see what they have to say. This whole idea of a lifetime fluid is totally ridiculous. Ask almost any lexus tech and the will tell you the same thing.
ditto!!!!!
Old 09-06-14, 09:17 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I read all the posts about this, and last week took my 2005 LS with 101,000 miles to a Toyota dealer for its first dealer visit, mostly to get the timing belt and water pump replaced.

They hooked the car to a machine which replaced all the fluid with new fluid. It did not flush the tranny with any more pressure than what develops when the car is running. My car always shifted smoothly, and now it shifts so smoothly I can almost not feel it change gears. Cost me $200 Glad I did it.

Made me happy knowing everyone agrees to change the engine oil.

Even happier Lexus doesn't use WS engine oil !!!

Quick Reply: 05 transmission drain issues