LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 - No navigation but mark levinson

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 05:49 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2004 - No navigation but mark levinson

I test drove a 04 LS430 yesterday - really good shape but one thing throws me off. It had no navigation but it did have the mark levinson sound system. Everything else seemed straight ML (rear shade, ventilated seats, etc.) just no navigation - it's actually a good thing, one less thing to brake. I just can't find any info on ML Sound without navigation package

anybody seen it before?
Old 08-17-14, 06:00 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that this was a configuration available in the Canadian market. Could you post the code on the second line from the bottom of the VIN placard on the driver's door frame? It will look something like "AETGKA" if it is a US market car.
Also, I think the 2004 MY LS430s supplied this to the Hawaii market had this configuration, but I am not sure.
Old 08-17-14, 06:09 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
I believe that this was a configuration available in the Canadian market. Could you post the code on the second line from the bottom of the VIN placard on the driver's door frame? It will look something like "AETGKA" if it is a US market car.
Also, I think the 2004 MY LS430s supplied this to the Hawaii market had this configuration, but I am not sure.
I will check the placard once I get it for inspection tomorrow - but the car has been registered in Texas only.
Old 08-17-14, 07:47 PM
jasonson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kermitxc
I will check the placard once I get it for inspection tomorrow - but the car has been registered in Texas only.
I was wondering the same thing. There is a 2001 in my town that is non-nav with ML:

http://www.southstreetautos.com/2001...3/Details.aspx

love the idea

Last edited by jasonson; 08-18-14 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Added Pic
Old 08-18-14, 10:10 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

jasonson - I can't quite read it from your picture, but it looks like the lower right corner says "... Premium Sound System". If so, that has fooled quite a few people in the past. The actual Mark Levinson system will have his name clearly marked, while the "premium" system is the standard (non-Levinson) one.
Old 08-19-14, 05:35 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 'Premium' system is a Pioneer sourced unit I *think*. This is what I have in my '05 - it sounds great to me.
Old 08-19-14, 11:35 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a Pioneer sound system. I had that in my LS...
Quite uncommon for USA market...

The sound system gives no issues at all (as ML does) but it has some limitations e.g. iPod integration, overall output power, steering remote integration with 3rd party double-din units.

One the good side - speakers, sub or amp almost never blow (most probably related to the limited power output hence no abuse is possible).
Old 08-20-14, 03:14 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an 01 no Nav with exactly this system. If you look at the picture in the post above, it says "Mark Levinson" and right below says "premium sound system". I have an 02 no Nav as well that just says "premium sound system", which I think sounds better.
Old 08-20-14, 06:46 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Twix
This is a Pioneer sound system. I had that in my LS...
Quite uncommon for USA market...

The sound system gives no issues at all (as ML does) but it has some limitations e.g. iPod integration, overall output power, steering remote integration with 3rd party double-din units.

Seems my car is quite rare then - sport suspension with the 'basic' Pioneer system.

I plan to take care of the integration issue with the iSimple ISTY-651 kit - my wife has Christmas gift plans
Old 08-20-14, 09:33 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RushNatU
I have an 01 no Nav with exactly this system. If you look at the picture in the post above, it says "Mark Levinson" and right below says "premium sound system". I have an 02 no Nav as well that just says "premium sound system", which I think sounds better.
You are correct...looking carefully at the pic, it does say ML...
Old 08-21-14, 04:00 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Twix
You are correct...looking carefully at the pic, it does say ML...
It looks VERY similar to my non-ML system with very minor detail changes and the fact that the Levinson name is not printed on the fascia of mine.

It does make me wonder if they just added the ML name to a standard Pioneer unit.

Here's a photo of the 'premium' system in my 05.

'Premium' sound system non-ML 2005 Pioneer
Old 08-21-14, 05:54 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FlaPhil

It does make me wonder if they just added the ML name to a standard Pioneer unit.
This on the Pic above is Pioneer.
They do look the same on the outside - but they are two different head units (different part numbers), different amps, as well as wiring and speakers (ML setup has tweeters and has higher RMS rating then Pioneer).
Old 08-21-14, 08:50 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is a pic from my 02 with the regular Pioneer system. It still has the tweeters on the front dash and goes way louder than my 01 with ML. Notice the differences in the two Pioneer units. Is yours from an 04-06?

2004 - No navigation but mark levinson-image.jpg

Last edited by RushNatU; 08-21-14 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Sorry, didn't read thoroughly. Yours is an 05
Old 08-21-14, 09:53 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Mine was 2001....it also had tweeters in front (on the dash) but not the ones on the rear doors.
Everything else is the same as the one on the pic...

Exactly like this

P.S.Yes, mine was a RHD
Old 08-21-14, 09:58 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Slight differences between the Pioneer units include the addition of POS (balance/fade presets) and dedicated ASL automatic sound level buttons lower left and relocation of RDS/Traffic buttons from lower left to lower right of fascia. Also SAT input added to AM button.

The model in my '05 is P6836 vs RushNatU's '02 P6811. I can't read the model number on the ML unit from the OP's photo.

Quick Reply: 2004 - No navigation but mark levinson