LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help during front speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 07:44 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Help during front speaker replacement

Hey Guys, I just started installing some new front speakers. My Mark L speakers in the new car were blown in the front. I managed to get everything off, but when I got to the speaker I realized that I can't seem to remove the speaker off the mount. I bought Eminence Eminator to replace the crappy OEM ones, but now I'm not sure how I need to mount. I tried to read all over, but I guess I didn't find anything about the mount. Will I need a new mount or something, or is there a way to remove the speaker? The stock mount has a plug in the side, so ideally I'd like to remove the speaker from this housing. I guess I won't be driving my car for a few days while I figure this out.

Help during front speaker replacement-iwvwlvt.jpg
Old 07-30-14, 07:13 AM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The speaker is basically glued into that mounting ring, use some force and remove it. There are little tabs that will get in the way of mounting the new speaker in the mounting ring. Cut those off and put the new speaker in and enjoy the enhanced sound of properly working speakers.
Old 07-30-14, 07:16 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get the speaker off with a knife. I need to look at the bracket again to look at the tabs you mention, I did not see those, it looked like the edge of the speaker was just barely fitting but it wouldn't recess into the bracket very much.
Old 07-30-14, 07:20 AM
greg s
Driver

I was able to trim a little bit off of the tabs quickly with pliers then screwed the new speaker down tightly. I think I'll redo it properly when I add dynamat to the doors. I developed a rattle with the sudden appearance of midbass.
Old 07-30-14, 07:29 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Thanks, will try that! I've been reading I should also use foam tape as well. I might try to pickup some dynamat today and do it while I have the doors off.
Old 07-30-14, 10:22 AM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to say that I have the eminence speakers in the front, and they do not sound as balanced as the stock speakers. If I could do it again, I'd repair the front speaker surrounds instead of using the eminence speakers.

The eminence speakers over compensate roughly in the 250 - 600 mhz frequencies, making too much low end midbass. Eddie Vedders voice, for example, sounds too bassy. It's not natural sounding. Guitars are too bassy as well. It's not horrible, but definitely not balanced like the stock speakers.
Old 07-30-14, 10:24 AM
greg s
Driver

I have them too and am quite happy. I also never heard the stock speakers before they were blown since I bought the car with the busted speakers.
Old 07-30-14, 10:32 AM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg s
I have them too and am quite happy. I also never heard the stock speakers before they were blown since I bought the car with the busted speakers.
Yeah, I'm probably overly picky when it comes to that stuff. I'm used to dialing in my sound using a 16 band EQ. If I had that in the LS, then it'd be a non issue. But with the 3 band EQ, I can't dial down those frequencies. <-- overly picky

I guess my thought is, it's pretty easy to get into the door after you've done it once. If I had to replace surrounds once every 3 to 5 years on the front door speakers, I could live with that to maintain the balanced sound. If I wasn't prepared to ever go back in there, and I was satisfied with a "good enough" sound, then eminence all the way. I don't know where the OP's tastes lie though. Just put my .02 cents out there in case the OP is in any way like me. Hopefully not. It's an expensive way to be
Old 07-30-14, 10:45 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

I went to a sound shop and got a MDF bracket, and have some coming from amazon as a backup plan, I'm not sure if it will fit but I'll give it a try tonight. I'm not super picky with the sound in the car. I would have gone really high end if I could have found speakers that were 8ohm. All the searching I did, didn't produce many options for me to go with. The speakers in the front sounded terrible since I picked up the car last week so anything at this point will sound like a improvement. I plan on hopefully making some videos for a step by step for doing some of the DIY's on this car since alot of the information seems to be missing some critical details that make jobs easier. Such as replacing the LED's in the side mirrors which was a huge PITA, unless you unscrew the screws in the mirror.
Old 08-03-14, 08:26 PM
jamsvet
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought an 03 LS with ML. The front door spkrs were blown and the rear woofer. OC speaker Repair Co is rebuilding them all. Did it on my 02 and it worked perfectly.