LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Interesting thoughts on power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 05:00 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting thoughts on power steering fluid

hi all just a quick post, i have an 02 that is like brand new with 150 k on the clock, the power steering pump in the am on start is making a little noise and i noticed in parking spots while turning wheel i would sense a noise... i might be hallucinating but today after having the power steering fluid flushed and filled i am a believer its one of the most neglected fluids. i was worried long term about the pump but also the power steering rack, i only did a partial flush at 90 k and from what i am feeling today with driving the car i believe i had contaminated fluid in there. i know the nay sayers how can he feel anything, ask yourself if your one of the 90% of ls430 owners that like driving perfection and quality and i have to say it was the best over paying 129 $ i have ever spent. i haven't felt the fluidity to the system since the day i purchased the car with 89k on it,
do your self a favor pick a 10 year or 90k and flush the system not just the reservoir drain and fill.
safe driving to all
Old 07-24-14, 08:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Yes, PS, brake, tranny and differential fluids are commonly neglected. When problems arise like a PS and rack going south, the discovery of black fluid is no surprise there. Same with the tranny when it begins to mis-shift or shift harshly. With any car, keeping the fluids within the additive lifespan does well in keeping the car happy.
Old 07-26-14, 06:25 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

update with the power steering thread,,,,,, over 500 miles with two cold starts, the noise had subsided but still there on cold start in morning goes away within 30 seconds, the car is smoother in its steeting movements particularly at low speeds and pulling out of parking spots, the noise that i get from the car when i was parked and making quick steering movements backing out or pulling in tight spaces gone. its interesting we all try to make rhyme or reason out of our cars, i truly believe fluids are the key to longevity and will preserve automotive history that we have with our vehicles being the best automotive product that was ever produced in the last 50 years, every day i am amazed without all the new suspension gimmicks that with just a basic quality and premise of putting high quality parts in the manufacturing process that has a low mean to failure how effective it is.. i test drive all the new cars out there our cars can compare to the newer cars for skidpad or flat out cornering, my car with the 17 inch wheels and michelins still has one of the top 5 ride/handling combinations i have ever driven.. when i say handling i mean driving in real world off ramps at 60 etc.. my shocks are original and 150k are like brand new.
amazing
Old 07-30-14, 05:10 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

just a update after a week and 800 miles, the noise that i would hear twice a week when pulling in tight spaces or putting pressure on power steering has not made a peep since i changed fluid, really happy did the flush over paid by 30 or 40 dollars but overall money well spent. safe driving to all
Old 07-30-14, 06:10 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of flushing, I just suck out the old power steering fluid and refill the reservoir.
Old 07-30-14, 07:02 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have removed the PS fluid from the reservoir 3 times and replaced with "Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners". My PS seems to run very quiet and smooth. I never have had any problems with it and want to keep it that way.
Old 07-30-14, 03:20 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Drain and fill on the PS once every couple of years will keep the system and its seals in good shape. Use a high quality Dexron 3 type ATF fluid in the PS system. Lots to chose from, like Castrol, Penzoil or Valvoline Max life
Old 07-31-14, 06:01 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I used Valvoline Max Life.

I did notice some strange squealing sounds when turning a while back. I looked at my reservoir and the level looked good. It wasn't until further inspection that I noticed the fluid had stained the inside and made it appear that the fluid level was fine when it reality it was low. I ended up sucking out all I could and refilling it and all was well.
Old 07-31-14, 08:04 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

I truly believe a Dex 3 like Maxlife ATF or a very high quality PS fluid like Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners work well in our cars. I do prefer Lucas though.
Old 07-31-14, 08:28 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's time I start changing mine out. Steering is good but getting on the stiff side.
Old 08-02-14, 05:37 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

last update, 1000 miles and not one peep from noise i would here creaking pulling in and out of tight spots
also when wheel completely turned i sometimes would hear a straining noise like taxing the power steering pump not there as well,
this am pulled into a spot that was parallel parked in a tight squeeze the system is really a dramatic improvement with fluidity since it was flushed. won't update the thread any longer but wanted to validate the importance of not just turkey basting the reservoir but doing a complete flush it obviously make a lot of sense. i also read the thoughts on non em fluids and appreciate all those quality products, our cars are made to such tolerances and using quality parts i always believe all the fluids we use to use the oem fluids that toyota recommends excluding the thoughts on mobil 1 ep that i think for the money is the best oil out there. the funny thing about power steering fluid is some dealers are saying its tranny fluid, others are using power steering fluid. when i first did a partial flush i bought castrol gtx power steering fluid from a lexus dealer in oc.. if anyone knows what the factory did use as a fresh fill it would be helpful for all of us to know so we have the info if we want to buy and do ourselves.
safe driving
Old 08-02-14, 08:11 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

PS fluid and ATF are essentially the same and they are basically hydraulic fluids... I would not use just any PS or ATF fluid and would try to only use a synthetic in all ATF and PS applications. A lot of info is available at the "bob is the oil guy" forum.